Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 4, 2010
South-West Victoria
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Port Melb, Eintracht Frankfurt.
Excellent news.

We need to get as many of our young players as possible signed up to the end of 2013 to keep GWS away from them. They're definitely going to be poaching at least some of our players.

Hopefully Johnston will start getting some games now. Has been given less opportunity than almost every KPP in the top 50 of the 2008 draft - if he doesn't become at least a very good player we have butchered that draft pick to an unforgivable degree

Hopefully Johnston will start getting some games now. Has been given less opportunity than almost every KPP in the top 50 of the 2008 draft - if he doesn't become at least a very good player we have butchered that draft pick to an unforgivable degree

I'm all for not giving players opportunities until they've earned them, but you have to wonder if holding players back so long has a negative impact on our list and the rate we can turn players over.

Currie for instance has been in the reserves for what? 5 years now?? Maybe 5-10 games at some stage could have given us a better indication of whether he'd make it or not, and a chance to cull him from the list and give his spot to someone who might.

Very surprised Lewis Johnston has signed on for a further two years. Considering there was talk of him wanting out last year along with Veszpremi, I was pretty confident that we would lose him this year after only getting to play two games. Great news though, I'm still confident that he will prove himself to be a very handy player!

Very surprised Lewis Johnston has signed on for a further two years. Considering there was talk of him wanting out last year along with Veszpremi, I was pretty confident that we would lose him this year after only getting to play two games. Great news though, I'm still confident that he will prove himself to be a very handy player!

Was there talk of him wanting out? There was mention that he had sought counsel over whether the coaches saw a spot for him, but that is not the same thing as wanting out. He almost certainly was given the message that he needed to work harder and get more consistent, both of which he has done this season.

The fact that Veszpremi went to another side and has found it even harder to win a spot in a team travelling less well than the Swans were last season would not have been lost on him either.

Also need to remember that he was drafted as a bottom ager and missed almost the whole of his first season through injury. He also missed almost all the next pre-season with a different foot injury. So last pre-season was his first opportunity to really work hard and to start seeing the benefits.

And given that silky footskills are something we don't have in great abundance in the squad, it would be daft for the club to abandon a player with as exquisite kicking skills as LJ has unless there were serious doubts over whether he could improve the other aspects of his game.

Was there talk of him wanting out? There was mention that he had sought counsel over whether the coaches saw a spot for him, but that is not the same thing as wanting out. He almost certainly was given the message that he needed to work harder and get more consistent, both of which he has done this season.

The fact that Veszpremi went to another side and has found it even harder to win a spot in a team travelling less well than the Swans were last season would not have been lost on him either.

Also need to remember that he was drafted as a bottom ager and missed almost the whole of his first season through injury. He also missed almost all the next pre-season with a different foot injury. So last pre-season was his first opportunity to really work hard and to start seeing the benefits.

And given that silky footskills are something we don't have in great abundance in the squad, it would be daft for the club to abandon a player with as exquisite kicking skills as LJ has unless there were serious doubts over whether he could improve the other aspects of his game.

Yeah I don't disagree with you. All I was saying was that after murmurs of him not being happy here last year, hence why he was asking about his position at the club, I thought that he would have wanted to leave this year after still not getting much of a go. I'm pretty sure both Adelaide clubs would still regard him pretty highly. And I agree with you about him, if you read my last sentence, I said that it was great news for him to re-sign with us and I still feel confident that he will become a really good player for us, as he hasn't been able to show it yet because he's had a lot of injuries and when he's been fit the coaches have wanted him to work harder:)

All I was saying was that after murmurs of him not being happy here last year, hence why he was asking about his position at the club, I thought that he would have wanted to leave this year after still not getting much of a go.

Was this from an actual source? All I read was that he was unsure of his place once we picked up Bradshaw but then we had Bradshaw mentoring LJ so that probably told him we wanted him around.

Once again well put Liz, it can be very frustrating at times.

What exactly did I say that was so 'frustrating'? I merely stated my opinion, which is what a forum is for, no? Do you ever add something constructive to these forums, or is all you do take potshots at people?:rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very surprised Lewis Johnston has signed on for a further two years. Considering there was talk of him wanting out last year along with Veszpremi

Rubbish, talk from where?

Even that sounds a little far-fetched.

Even that sounds a little far-fetched.

Vez complained about everything and was a whiny sook, kept pulling out of everything through niggly injuries that most players played through, he thought he was better than he is, good riddance. He can play but has wrong attitude and why he is still playing at Willy.

Ummm.

I wasn't talking about Veszpremi in either of my posts. I was referring to Lewis Johnston.

can see where the misunderstanding came from, with my second post.

I'll repeat though- nothing I have heard suggests LJ ever wanted out.

Ditto.

We need LJ to step up and take a spot in the forward line next to Sammy Reid. He's done really well in the back line this year in the 2's and looked good down there against the Pies but we're well stocked there. We need him to bulk up, improve his body work in the forward line (the thing that stood out as his biggest deficiency when he played there against North in his debut in the forward line). Got pushed around pretty easily in marking contests by Pratt, Thompson.

I have every confidence that he will.

I kind of like Johnston down back. Even if it is just for his sublime kick-outs.

LRT, Shaw, Mattner, Kennelly are all at the back end of their careers. Johnston could easily be a flanker to replace one of these guys.

Not sure he has the size for KPP. Either way, his foot skills are sublime and he'll find a home soon enough. His new found versatility should see him get regular games next year (hoping for no more injuries).

I kind of like Johnston down back. Even if it is just for his sublime kick-outs.

LRT, Shaw, Mattner, Kennelly are all at the back end of their careers. Johnston could easily be a flanker to replace one of these guys.

Not sure he has the size for KPP. Either way, his foot skills are sublime and he'll find a home soon enough. His new found versatility should see him get regular games next year (hoping for no more injuries).

We could have Johnson and Johnston!

Reminds me of Tintin with Thomson and Thompson - 'No, I'm the one with a p'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back