Injury Lincoln McCarthy - injured ankle 7/5/16

Remove this Banner Ad

He hasn't had holidays but at the same time he hasn't exactly earnt his paycheck has he.

And that's through no fault of his own, but I can understand why people don't have patience

We aren't a charity, and hopefully he now does start to have a decent run at it

He hasn't had holidays but at the same time he hasn't exactly earnt his paycheck has he.

And that's through no fault of his own, but I can understand why people don't have patience

Most of that I have no problem with as it's true, he hasn't earned his $$ but on holiday he was not (except for those early rehab months where he holidayed, more for his mental health than anything else). The amount of hours in rehab to get back each time, as someone who's had a family member do an acl, it's no picnic on that road back to fitness, I dunno maybe I'm just not as heartless as others.

Most of that I have no problem with as it's true, he hasn't earned his $$ but on holiday he was not (except for those early rehab months where he holidayed, more for his mental health than anything else). The amount of hours in rehab to get back each time, as someone who's had a family member do an acl, it's no picnic on that road back to fitness, I dunno maybe I'm just not as heartless as others.
I'm not heartless and I clearly pointed out he hasn't been on holiday

But the simple fact is he is payed to play footy.... and he hadn't been...

It is very easy to see why some people take that line of thinking, I know people who have recovered from ACLs as well.... that is the risk of playing sport

Then why are we arguing then exactly?

That's all I objected too o_O
Don't ask me, you are the one that felt the need to try the smug condescending stuff about being heartless when saying you agreed with my post

Don't ask me, you are the one that felt the need to try the smug condescending stuff about being heartless when saying you agreed with my post
That wasn't directed at anyone in particular, maybe I am too soft, I don't know. Bit of a storm in a teacup really when we actually agree :D

True. But when you look at it that this kid has suffered an injury doing what he is employed to do. And I think that it is not unreasonable to call this a work place injury. And as such his employer has a responsibility to see that he is given every opportunity to recover from his injury and that he is paid for the duration of his contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True. But when you look at it that this kid has suffered an injury doing what he is employed to do. And I think that it is not unreasonable to call this a work place injury. And as such his employer has a responsibility to see that he is given every opportunity to recover from his injury and that he is paid for the duration of his contract.
Agreed.

But you would expect him to turn up to rehab on his birthday, and every other day, seeing the support he is getting.

It's a two way street, isn't it?

Due to our later draft picks in recent years, the Cats seem to be predisposed on picking up draftees with durability issues in an effort to extract more perceived value.

Clearly there is more risk with this approach and McCarthy appears to be another example where his body doesn't seem to be able to cope with the rigors of full-time AFL football.

Agreed.

But you would expect him to turn up to rehab on his birthday, and every other day, seeing the support he is getting.

It's a two way street, isn't it?
And it looks like he has. Little Jack Horner, hey?

Much ado about nothing- a simple photo and a "Happy Birthday, well done" turns into another Team 1 vs Team 2 confrontation.

:rolleyes:

I don't disagree with any of that mate, my point simply was that I could see why some people don't have the patience with these players.

not this s**t again…

and its not just you - its the trend in general. Apologies for quoting your post. Not directed at only you.

Go Catters

If I got paid 100k a year for what Menz has the last 4... I'd do it hands down
That isn't answering the question though is it? It is hardly a holiday that the likes of Menzel and McCarthy have been on. I would hazard a guess that they have still worked a shitload harder than you or I have, especially being in rehab all that time.

That isn't answering the question though is it? It is hardly a holiday that the likes of Menzel and McCarthy have been on. I would hazard a guess that they have still worked a shitload harder than you or I have, especially being in rehab all that time.
mcc should be delisted So I do not get your point

and it may not be about money to most players. They are young and while money is an objective at that age, you can be more preoccupied in enjoying life and partying to some degree.
These guys sacrifice that side of their life (until the off season) for literally 8-9 months of a year. Something many 22-24 year old's do not do.

I disagree about them working harder than some of the people on here though. There is nothing that compares to a full-time job, especially jobs that don't pay all that well and you have to do it in order to get food in your belly.
I've worked at factories and some of those people have it tough. Only $23 an hour and they break their backs 5 days a week to merely make enough money to enjoy themselves. Constantly look tired and mentally drained from that environment and path taken in life.

mcc should be delisted So I do not get your point
You might get your wish at the end of next year, Galaxy- but the doctors at the club obviously think his foot will come good and the coaches have been willing to take the risk - as they did with Menzel, Cowan, etc- which may or may not pay off. The jackpot if these players ALL succeed could be huge- it's like buying a Lotto ticket, though. What if we only win 5th Div. and end up with $20?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back