Injury Lincoln McCarthy - injured ankle 7/5/16

Remove this Banner Ad

and it may not be about money to most players. They are young and while money is an objective at that age, you can be more preoccupied in enjoying life and partying to some degree.
These guys sacrifice that side of their life (until the off season) for literally 8-9 months of a year. Something many 22-24 year old's do not do.

I disagree about them working harder than some of the people on here though. There is nothing that compares to a full-time job, especially jobs that don't pay all that well and you have to do it in order to get food in your belly.
I've worked at factories and some of those people have it tough. Only $23 an hour and they break their backs 5 days a week to merely make enough money to enjoy themselves. Constantly look tired and mentally drained from that environment and path taken in life.
I think being a footy player is a 12 month a year thing, Bobby. It's tougher for them to return to preseason training out of condition than if they keep up their off-season training, so I would assume that most players are constantly thinking about their bodies :eek: and conditioning over the duration of their career.

Not like some of us couch potatoes who have let ourselves go a bit. ;)

You honestly think that? It's been one giant fun paid holiday for these blokes?

Oh sure it has.. thats why the LTI group suffers from bouts of depression and loss. Putting in 100% effort to get back healthy so you can go and live your dreams. And then being agonizingly close and having to watch as your team mates go out there and do the one thing you'd give your life to do …

yup…. sounds like a holiday to me…:rolleyes:

matter of fact ,its such fun and a good time im not sure why anyone actually tries to play. Should just aim to be in rehab all the time...o_O

Not to mention the physical pain of their recovery and rehab..

GO Catters

Last edited:
You might get your wish at the end of next year, Galaxy- but the doctors at the club obviously think his foot will come good and the coaches have been willing to take the risk - as they did with Menzel, Cowan, etc- which may or may not pay off. The jackpot if these players ALL succeed could be huge- it's like buying a Lotto ticket, though. What if we only win 5th Div. and end up with $20?
But if they were to come off it'd be when they're 28 because they've taken too long to hit 100 games - not worth it imo

But if they were to come off it'd be when they're 28 because they've taken too long to hit 100 games - not worth it imo
They won't need to hit 100 games for it to be a win- they're not like young 18 year olds hitting the AFL for the first time. They've spent years developing their bodies and learning the system. If we could get even one Pods-like player out of that group, I'd be very happy.

McCarthy, Menzel, Vardy and Cowan must be 4 of unluckiest bastards to put on a pair football boots. The injuries these guys have had to encounter over a sustained period of time is beyond fairness and the amount of time needed to spend in rehab would seriously do the brain in of someone not so strong willed. My heart goes out to each and everyone of these guys and I have nothing but total respect for their unrelenting dedication and perseverance in wanting to live their dream of being AFL footballers. For what it's worth I regard a healthy, fully fit and match hardened Lincoln McCarthy to easily be in Geelong's best 22 and unlike most I regard this kid as a gun!

McCarthy, Menzel, Vardy and Cowan must be 4 of unluckiest bastards to put on a pair football boots. The injuries these guys have had to encounter over a sustained period of time is beyond fairness and the amount of time needed to spend in rehab would seriously do the brain in of someone not so strong willed. My heart goes out to each and everyone of these guys and I have nothing but total respect for their unrelenting dedication and perseverance in wanting to live their dream of being AFL footballers. For what it's worth I regard a healthy, fully fit and match hardened Lincoln McCarthy to easily be in Geelong's best 22 and unlike most I regard this kid as a gun!
I like McCarthy's attack on the ball, and saw him play a couple of terrific VFL games, has potential, but unsure if at this stage and with his body that he will make it. Would be great if he gets a chance to see though.

mcc should be delisted So I do not get your point

Mate he is contracted until the end of 2016.
To delist him they would have to pay him out. We do have a salary cap to look after. Especially when the club has recruited the likes of Dangerfield, Selwood and Henderson. Not to mention Smith.

I like McCarthy's attack on the ball, and saw him play a couple of terrific VFL games, has potential, but unsure if at this stage and with his body that he will make it. Would be great if he gets a chance to see though.

Seen Motlop in reserves some years back now with my son and said to my son David at time IF this bloke (Motlop) can get his defensive game together with a better attitude and not being so selfish he would be gun for he had so much talent, I regard McCarthy in same class as Motlop but he doesn't have Motlop's previous weaknesses, poor bastard just needs to get his body right, if so he will be gun!

I think being a footy player is a 12 month a year thing, Bobby. It's tougher for them to return to preseason training out of condition than if they keep up their off-season training, so I would assume that most players are constantly thinking about their bodies :eek: and conditioning over the duration of their career.

Not like some of us couch potatoes who have let ourselves go a bit. ;)

Not me. I have a 6 pack.

In fact I have a collection of them.

Due to our later draft picks in recent years, the Cats seem to be predisposed on picking up draftees with durability issues in an effort to extract more perceived value.

Clearly there is more risk with this approach and McCarthy appears to be another example where his body doesn't seem to be able to cope with the rigors of full-time AFL football.

Its a gamble... but its not just a recent thing..we have been doing it for years. Pick 4 guys that never break down cause they are not good enough thats a gamble too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh sure it has.. thats why the LTI group suffers from bouts of depression and loss. Putting in 100% effort to get back healthy so you can go and live your dreams. And then being agonizingly close and having to watch as your team mates go out there and do the one thing you'd give your life to do …

yup…. sounds like a holiday to me…:rolleyes:

matter of fact ,its such fun and a good time im not sure why anyone actually tries to play. Should just aim to be in rehab all the time...o_O

Not to mention the physical pain of their recovery and rehab..

GO Catters
Some here would go into depression if you carded them for a day,its not easy at all not being able to do what you love doing with your mates.

Its a gamble... but its not just a recent thing..we have been doing it for years. Pick 4 guys that never break down cause they are not good enough thats a gamble too.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't..... we only got Joel Selwood at pick 7 in 2007 because of knee issue...... some we win, some we loose, unfortunately in recent times we have been losing a lot more than we have been winning..... time for the tide to turn and have reasonable injury run, if so we are a definite top 4 side.... GO CATS!

Some here would go into depression if you carded them for a day,its not easy at all not being able to do what you love doing with your mates.

volunteering? :D

GO Catters

Granted that Wells has been doing this for some time but it has been more prevalent in recent years with draftees such as Cockatoo, Lang, Thurlow and McCarthy all having serious injuries in their final junior years.

If it's an impact injury such as those incurred by Lang and Thurlow then that's just bad luck and the risk is mitigated somewhat. The stress related injuries are more the worry.

Granted that Wells has been doing this for some time but it has been more prevalent in recent years with draftees such as Cockatoo, Lang, Thurlow and McCarthy all having serious injuries in their final junior years.

If it's an impact injury such as those incurred by Lang and Thurlow then that's just bad luck and the risk is mitigated somewhat. The stress related injuries are more the worry.

Its a balance between possible upside if he comes good and probable ceiling of a less talent player. Burton this year has a Wells all over him if we had a pick at that range. Selwood, Varcoe shows its not a new method... In the end balances value with potential. Schroder was an example of the other way. Stayed fit but failed to reach required levels.

The down side is it glues us to some of these guys.

I've worked at factories and some of those people have it tough. Only $23 an hour and they break their backs 5 days a week to merely make enough money to enjoy themselves. Constantly look tired and mentally drained from that environment and path taken in life.

And if they got an injury at work - whatever their job - the employer has a duty of care to manage their return

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Over and above that, the repeat injuries are an even bigger worry. Three of the four most injury prone players fall precisely under that category.

Over and above that, the repeat injuries are an even bigger worry. Three of the four most injury prone players fall precisely under that category.

Do you mean Menzel, Vardy and Cowan?
Menzel - 4 x ACL. Same injury.
Vardy - Hip surgery then an ACL. Completely separate and unrelated issues.
Cowan - Congenital Gastrocnemius / Achilles issues. Then had hammy issues. Separate issues.

If you are referring to others, then carry on.

Go Catters

Do you mean Menzel, Vardy and Cowan?
Menzel - 4 x ACL. Same injury.
Vardy - Hip surgery then an ACL. Completely separate and unrelated issues.
Cowan - Congenital Gastrocnemius / Achilles issues. Then had hammy issues. Separate issues.

If you are referring to others, then carry on.

Go Catters

No.

Menzel - knee.
Cowan - Achilles, hamstring, Achilles, hamstring.
McCarthy - navicular, navicular, and navicular.

Definitely not Vardy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back