Mark Williams cleared of lymphoma

Remove this Banner Ad

Rucci's article today not on line so cut and paste from pressdisplay.com
#PH408

Footy unites to support Choco in greatest fight

DEAN Bailey was the ultimate good bloke. Cancer took him before the start of the AFL premiership season at 47, less than half the age he deserved to reach with such a positive and enthusiastic approach to life.

Mark Williams is the ultimate example of healthy living. He has never smoked. He does not drink alcohol. He took on sporting pursuits to emphasise the theme Mens Sana In Corpore Sano (a healthy mind in a healthy body).

Now Williams, like Bailey - his assistant coach at Port Adelaide in the 2004 premiership campaign - is fighting cancer. And he will fight ... as is the Williams way and stood out in his father Fos as he battled low blood pressure.

Everyone — everyone — knows someone who has been affected by cancer. And everyone becomes affected, as was so obvious across the AFL this year when Bailey died just five months after being diagnosed with lung cancer. As actor Pierce Brosnan, who lost his wife Cassandra to ovarian cancer in 1991, noted in September: “To watch someone you love have his or her life eaten away bit by bit by this insidious disease, that kind of sorrow becomes an indelible part of your psyche.”

It is still difficult for those who knew Bailey well to stand on the Adelaide Football Club’s training ground at Max Basheer Reserve at West Lakes and deal with just the memories. Exactly a year ago, just before Bailey’s bad cough became a reason to consult a doctor, the Crows strategist was eagerly putting into place plans to advance Adelaide’s coaching and development program. He was ready to put the Crows on the cutting edge of improving goalkicking accuracy, advancing the mental strength of senior players who are often ignored in development programs and guiding his coaching colleagues on lessons learned from other sports.

And Bailey was so keen to test some theories on how the Crows could develop an onfield tactical advantage on their new deck at Adelaide Oval.

None of these plans will be lost on Adelaide coach Phil Walsh, who worked with Bailey at Port Adelaide and delivered a moving and memorable eulogy at Bailey’s memorial service. The vision will unfold through Walsh with a strong reflection on all Bailey imagined was possible at West Lakes. nly a month ago Mark Williams returned to Adelaide — he is currently at the Richmond Football Club as a development coach — to lead the private celebrations among the Power players on the 10th anniversary of their ground-breaking AFL premiership.

He was full of energy, vision and ambition ... to the point Port Adelaide veteran Kane Cornes questioned why

OWilliams was not coaching an AFL club nor considered a major contender for the vacancies at Gold Coast and the Western Bulldogs.

It is the long-standing question within a longer-running puzzle: Why has Williams not coached again after the burnout at Port Adelaide created a messy exit from Alberton in 2010? Why didn’t Williams become Kevin Sheedy’s successor at Greater Western Sydney?

Why did St Kilda turn away from Williams in favour of the untried Alan Richardson last year?

Why was Williams not a frontrunner for a senior coaching job this year?

And now it is all insignificant to the more meaningful question of how does cancer — that insidious parasite, to borrow from Brosnan’s words — strike Williams when he has lived such a sound and healthy life? Why did it take Bailey?

Bailey had so much more to give Australian football — and the young men in whom he had such a strong belief at the Adelaide Football Club.

Williams also has so much more to offer the AFL, particularly as a man who never stops thinking of how to make the game better. And safer, as highlighted by his game-

upload_2014-11-29_17-18-1.png

Despite the way it ended at Port this is the sort of image I have of Choco. The big toothy grin. The picture from today's story I pasted above.

upload_2014-11-29_22-7-8.png

#PH408

Last edited:

I remember meeting choco in the early 90's when he was still playing. The club had the players at Harry Beauchamps shack at Murray Bridge for a day skiing and our family boat was in use. Choco drove for a while and I was his observer (I would've been 13 I think) and I remember chatting to him a bit. He seemed intense but was really nice to me. I seem to recall us pulling D Smith around.
I saw him as I walked past a cafe on punt rd after the Collingwood game this year and I now wish I hadve stopped to say hello. Not that he'd remember me but I'm positive he would've been just as nice to me as he was when I was a kid.
All the best choco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been away from the Port board for a fair bit, being the off-season and what not. So I haven't really had the chance to say this on here yet.

Get well soon, Choco. Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I'm sure sure you'll tackle this head on and show that true Port Adelaide spirit and fight it. You're a champion and I'm wishing you all the best in your recovery.

A small article on the inside back page in the Herald Sun today reported that Choco has responded extremely positively to his treatment for lymphoma. He's expected to be able to resume duties at the Tigers.

Terrific news.
Good luck chocolate.
All cancer is bad but Lymphoma isn't generally one of the worst.

Glad to hear it. Cancer in any form is a bitch.

Yeah, obviously all cancers can kill and secondary cancer is probably the biggest concern among the 'better' cancers. Still a long road ahead for Chocolate but I'm sure he'll pull through!

Tiger delight on Choco's cancer clearance
PREMIERSHIP coach Mark Williams has been cleared of lymphoma, sparking jubilant scenes at Punt Road Oval on Thursday.

Williams, 56, was diagnosed with cancer in November last year, starting treatment shortly after and remaining in his role as senior development coach at Richmond.
He had scans on Wednesday that confirmed he had beaten the cancer, with Williams gathering the Richmond players on-field on Thursday and delivering the news before training.
Williams coached Port Adelaide between 1999 and 2010, leading the club to its first AFL premiership in 2004.
He spent two years at Greater Western Sydney as Kevin Sheedy's assistant before joining Richmond at the completion of the 2012 season.
He also played 200 VFL games for Collingwood and the Brisbane Bears, as well as over 150 SANFL games, in a playing career spanning 17 years
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-23/tiger-delight-on-mark-williams-cancer-clearance

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tiger delight on Choco's cancer clearance
PREMIERSHIP coach Mark Williams has been cleared of lymphoma, sparking jubilant scenes at Punt Road Oval on Thursday.

Williams, 56, was diagnosed with cancer in November last year, starting treatment shortly after and remaining in his role as senior development coach at Richmond.
He had scans on Wednesday that confirmed he had beaten the cancer, with Williams gathering the Richmond players on-field on Thursday and delivering the news before training.
Williams coached Port Adelaide between 1999 and 2010, leading the club to its first AFL premiership in 2004.
He spent two years at Greater Western Sydney as Kevin Sheedy's assistant before joining Richmond at the completion of the 2012 season.
He also played 200 VFL games for Collingwood and the Brisbane Bears, as well as over 150 SANFL games, in a playing career spanning 17 years
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-23/tiger-delight-on-mark-williams-cancer-clearance
Fantastic news. We dont want anyone else missing the 20 year reunion.
Ford Fairlane can you unlock The Mark Williams diagnosed with cancer thread and put in this story?

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/mark-williams-diagnosed-with-cancer.1082427/page-5

Thank F**K for that!!!

Soldier on Choco!!!!

Chocs a solider. Was always going to beat this.

Well done champ.

Yep. Brain cancers totally the same thing. Also Choco's always been hard as coffin nail.
Jimmy Stynes had melanoma with mets in his brain. Dean Bailey had lung cancer. My point was that being hard as nails or a "soldier" is no guarantee of beating cancer. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back