Game Day Match Sim - Roos v Tigers - Arden St - 10am

Remove this Banner Ad

I think people are expecting too much from Jack Z right now. He’s an “all effort” player at this stage. I only saw the first half of the game. Obviously, the Sheezel and Goater cameos were great. However, from my perspective, the single best individual act of the first half was clearly Jack’s “Archer-like” mark. The fact that everyone else, on both sides, was struggling to mark overhead in the swirling wind emphasised his effort even more.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It was a fantastic mark from Jack, but we do have a player on the list who was rested today that also displays a lot of “Archer-like” qualities.

With the option of Corr, Hall and Archer in Rd 1, it’s going to be hard for Jack to hold a spot down there. Ideally TT comes back at some point and makes it even harder to get a game for us at half back.

Hi All
As an oppo supporter can I ask what is the expectation re Greenwood this year in terms of role? Any news in relation to this.
My private fantasy league has a position for a tackler and wondering whether he is on the outer or if Clarko might want some senior bodies at the stoppages.....
Thanks

Some stats

Phillips

22 possessions 8 clearances

Ave 10 disposals 1 clearance in year 1. Obviously both career highs.

LDU

31 disposals 9 clearances

Either got caught or fluffed a possession opportunity 10 times. Could have been 40 disposals and 15 clearances (and a goal).

Cam Z

6 disposal 3 clearances first half. But i must say his bustling helped others clear the footy. Came into it in the third qrt ending up with 17 d, 6 clearances and a goal.

Powell

Like Bull came into it in the second half, starting the first with 5 disband 3 clearances.

Ended up 18 disposals and 8 clearances

Hi All
As an oppo supporter can I ask what is the expectation re Greenwood this year in terms of role? Any news in relation to this.
My private fantasy league has a position for a tackler and wondering whether he is on the outer or if Clarko might want some senior bodies at the stoppages.....
Thanks
Hasn't put a foot wrong all preseason. Think the consensus is he'll at least be in the team for the first few weeks as an inside, contested meat and potatoes type, perhaps with the odd stint up forward. Wouldn't bank on him keeping his spot all season though. He lacks the class of most of the remainder of the engine room

Some stats

Phillips

LDU

Either got caught or fluffed a possession opportunity 10 times. Could have been 40 disposals and 15 clearances (and a goal).

Cam Z

6 disposal 3 clearances first half. But i must say his bustling helped others clear the footy. Came into it in the third qrt ending up with 17 d, 6 clearances and a goal.

Powell

Like Bull came into it in the second half, starting the first with 5 disband 3 clearances.

I think we thumped them out of the middle. If we can clean up the finishing we'll be okay.

Some stats

Phillips

LDU

Cam Z

Powell

Thanks. Where did you get these stats? I would love to see the rest of the players stats…

It may not show up on the stat sheet but I thought Xerri's physical presence and willingness to throw his weight around and protect our smaller and young midfielders is what puts him in front for the vacant ruck position.
Yes, I thought Xerri had a decent game. He certainly can throw his weight around & took a nice grab.
I’m not so sure we have a vacant ruck position though… Goldy is the man & Xerri hasn’t shown anything up forward. I still think he plays 2nds this year.
I prefer CCJ up forward if we are going with 2 ruckman.

Fair enough. I disagree. Clarkson is preparing Cam for a year of midfield/forward & that’s evident to me by the fact he was starting mid today. This is despite us still having a number of other mid options available.

It also works, Cam is fit AF & will go a long way in ensuring our midfield isn’t slow/one dimensional.
Don’t get me wrong, I liked what I seen from Cam in the middle today. He certainly brings a different look to centre bounces stoppages.
However, Cunners is the best in the business when it comes to stoppages & I would like to see him play there at least 70% of the time.
LDU is 100%
Simpkin 70%
Phillips & Powell should be seeing a lot more.
I’m not sure if Greenwood is getting a game, but he’d be attending a lot of Centre bounces if he is. He also didn’t play today.
Not to mention, Wardlaw when he likely comes into the side in the second half of the year.
I just don’t think we have the room & Cam is so valuable up forward.
Anyways, we’ll find out soon enough…
Next week’s game will give us a better indication.

Hasn't put a foot wrong all preseason. Think the consensus is he'll at least be in the team for the first few weeks as an inside, contested meat and potatoes type, perhaps with the odd stint up forward. Wouldn't bank on him keeping his spot all season though. He lacks the class of most of the remainder of the engine room
He does, but his defensive footysmarts are better than anyone in our midfield bar Cunners. Add to that that Clarkson sees them at 60/40 mid forward splits and it makes perfect sense that we always play a defensively minded, big bodied mid to clear and block space for LDU, Jy, WiPhi and Powell to run into to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s playing the bespoke “Clarko is giving him enough rope before upgrading him” role. You’d be hard pressed to find many here when think he’s best 22, and todays performance did little to help.
Yeah, I'd say this is spot on and the logical progression from the last couple of years. Optimistic version is that this time of year is never a great time for slower, older and less agile players as a lot of the blokes are fit and have plenty of run in their legs. As the season progresses in theory a player of his age will be more able to compete. It is what it is at this point, I trust Clarkson and Viney to negotiate this as best they can.

Last edited:
I think Noble's problem was he expected forwards to push way too far up the ground.
i know i said this in the intraclub, but how bloody good and refreshing was it to see that when the likes of Goat were streaming out of the backline, they actually had players to kick to.

Our kicking let us down occasionally and we've still got too many players in the defensive half who just wanna get ball to boot, but the structural stuff was such a massive improvement on last year

Don’t get me wrong, I liked what I seen from Cam in the middle today. He certainly brings a different look to centre bounces stoppages.
However, Cunners is the best in the business when it comes to stoppages & I would like to see him play there at least 70% of the time.
LDU is 100%
Simpkin 70%
Phillips & Powell should be seeing a lot more.
I’m not sure if Greenwood is getting a game, but he’d be attending a lot of Centre bounces if he is. He also didn’t play today.
Not to mention, Wardlaw when he likely comes into the side in the second half of the year.
I just don’t think we have the room & Cam is so valuable up forward.
Anyways, we’ll find out soon enough…
Next week’s game will give us a better indication.

I think they are giving Zurhaar as much time in the middle as possible so he can get experience in that role.

Ben has missed a lot of footy in recent years and isn't a spring chicken, Clarkson will want to have as many good options as possible depending on how things pan out.

I think Zurhaar is developing to replace Cunners but it wont be immediately.

If you look long term, post-Cunners' the midfield is lacking in size and physical presence. Zurhaar helps with that. Harley Reid would help, as well 😀

If you look long term, post-Cunners' the midfield is lacking in size and physical presence. Zurhaar helps with that. Harley Reid would help, as well
Give it a few years and the temptation to throw Goater in the middle will be strong I reckon.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

If you look long term, post-Cunners' the midfield is lacking in size and physical presence. Zurhaar helps with that. Harley Reid would help, as well

Tries to bust through too often and gets caught. Needs to learn to dish off to runners but I don’t think he’s really got that string in his bow.
Can see him being a very handy impact player in the middle but for mine he’s far better suited playing the majority of time forward.

Hi All
Thanks

Get on Sam Berry mate

Tries to bust through too often and gets caught. Needs to learn to dish off to runners but I don’t think he’s really got that string in his bow.
Can see him being a very handy impact player in the middle but for mine he’s far better suited playing the majority of time forward.
They're weaknesses right now but also things that can potentially be taught/learned. It's worth a try, giving him some time in there.

I read posts during the game and was very worried with many negative comments. I watched last night and was pleasantly impressed. Key points
LDU is a star, could have had 40 touches easily.
Will Phil, outstanding game after year off sick. Clean, tough, beautiful kick.
Xerri, tough, aggressive and cleared paths really well. Would be happy to see him 1st ruck. Very different to Goldy, less possessions, much tougher.
Powell, ordinary 1st half good 2nd. Needs games, good things happen when he gets it.
Zurhaar good, physical and in the game, it gives the forward line different look when not there.
Comben excellent just needs games.
Sheez/Curtis elite.
Goater was great, clean and quick. Bergman solid.
Ziebel and Luke McDonald can't play in same team, same player. Lack speed, tough, not great kicks and don't give run/carry. Hopefully Young in Ziebel roll. Please keep playing Perez, skilful & hard, just needs to be backed in.

We looked sharp and quick around midfield without Greenwood and Jed.

Lots to look forward to.

Some stats

Phillips

LDU

Cam Z

Powell

Any tackle stat's for those guys ?

Did we make a mistake by drafting Kallan Dawson, instead of Massimo D'Ambrosio?

Hindsight is wonderful, but I can't help but think that Massimo's left foot would thrive, under Clarko's regime.

Looking at out current defenders, it's a serious weakness.

I'm not trying to be controversial, just curious.

Of course.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back