Certified Legendary Thread Matchday 14 - November Title Decider?

Can Louis Van Gaal's Red Army stop the Vardy train?

• Yes

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • No

Votes: 19 33.3%
  • Why isn't Fryer Tuck doing the matchday threads?

Votes: 28 49.1%
  • Lol Mou

Votes: 20 35.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Currently it sits at
Spurs 7
Monaco 6
Anderlecht 4
Qarabag 4

So even a loss wouldn't hurt our claims for top spot too much. We'd obviously have to beat Monaco at home in the final game (which would mean we'd finish above them), Anderlecht & Qarabag would need 2 good wins to finish above us on GD to take 1st spot, at the very worst a win gets us 2nd spot with 10 points
Yeah but say you lose to Qarabag and Anderlect and Monaco draw.

Spurs 7
Monaco 7
Qarabag 7
Anderlect 5

That means a loss to Monaco and you're out. As a draw or win for Qarabag in the other game gets them through or a win for Anderlect gets them through. So any result works. So a loss to Monaco and you are gone.

You'd want to beat Qarabag. I dont think you will be taking that light a team over there.

I'm sure spurs would prefer to make top 4 over the reject cup.
It's not even that. I really want us to get top spot in our group. But 1 win is all we need and our full strength side at home against Monaco should be able to get that. Playing a full strength side before Chelsea or Newcastle? No brainer even with Chelsea's poor season!

Yeah but say you lose to Qarabag and Anderlect and Monaco draw.

Spurs 7
Monaco 7
Qarabag 7
Anderlect 5

That means a loss to Monaco and you're out. As a draw or win for Qarabag in the other game gets them through or a win for Anderlect gets them through. So any result works. So a loss to Monaco and you are gone.

You'd want to beat Qarabag. I dont think you will be taking that light a team over there.
A loss at home to Monaco with a full strength side and we deserve to go out. We out played them and they didn't threaten a great deal over there (1 Lloris f*ck up cost us).

We dominated over there for 75 mins with about a 70/30 full-strength/reserve side last time against Monaco. I don't see us losing to them at home with even that sort of strength side let alone our best XI. They've been so-so all through the group stage so far and aren't currently lighting up Ligue 1 either.

A loss at home to Monaco with a full strength side and we deserve to go out. We out played them and they didn't threaten a great deal over there (1 Lloris f*ck up cost us).
Still, they are a talented team. Defend well, knock in a set piece and Monaco are through.

Im not saying you wont win or get through, just id be taking a stronger team on Thursday to get a result and confirm you spot in the knockouts.

Still, they are a talented team. Defend well, knock in a set piece and Monaco are through.

Im not saying you wont win or get through, just id be taking a stronger team on Thursday to get a result and confirm you spot in the knockouts.
What's the point of taking guys on a 5000 mile round trip if they don't need to. I'd very annoyed if any of Lloris, Vertonghen, Dier, Dembele, Eriksen or Kane went on the trip. What's the point in having guys like Vorm, Carroll, Townsend & new signings Wimmer and N'jie if we don't use them to protect our best players.

The group stage is 6 games long and wrapping up qualification early is all well and good if you have a tough set of fixtures after the last group game, but Newcastle at home (after a home tie) isn't anywhere near as tough as Chelsea will be this Sunday (after a trip to the middle east)

What's the point of taking guys on a 5000 mile round trip if they don't need to. I'd very annoyed if any of Lloris, Vertonghen, Dier, Dembele, Eriksen or Kane went on the trip. What's the point in having guys like Vorm, Carroll, Townsend & new signings Wimmer and N'jie if we don't use them to protect our best players.

The group stage is 6 games long and wrapping up qualification early is all well and good if you have a tough set of fixtures after the last group game, but Newcastle at home (after a home tie) isn't anywhere near as tough as Chelsea will be this Sunday (after a trip to the middle east)
And all good points to which I agree with but if you take a second string squad and lose to Qarabag, it sets up the final match in the group stage with more pressure and no room for error.

Sure you are better than Monaco and playing at home but football is football. We are better than tons of teams over the years and have still managed to lose to them at Anfield.

If it were me id rather take a strong side and win and guarantee your spot into the next round. Or at least a half and half. Take one of Vert or Alder, maybe Dembele etc...

Sure you are better than Monaco and playing at home but football is football. We are better than tons of teams over the years and have still managed to lose to them at Anfield.
You also had the continental inept management of Rodgers don't forget ;)

You also had the continental inept management of Rodgers don't forget ;)
Haha, true. But even so, shitter teams beat better teams all the time. That's football.

I'd be wary and wanting to secure progression as quickly as possible to leave no pressure on the final game.

But I guess we will see what kind of squad Poch decides to take. Maybe he thinks he has a better shot at top four than winning the EL to get into the CL.

Haha, true. But even so, shitter teams beat better teams all the time. That's football.

I'd be wary and wanting to secure progression as quickly as possible to leave no pressure on the final game.

But I guess we will see what kind of squad Poch decides to take. Maybe he thinks he has a better shot at top four than winning the EL to get into the CL.
I think a lot of it should come down to the level of opponent on the Sunday. Qarabag away is probably a tougher task than Monaco at home, but so to is Chelsea than Newcastle.

I don't mind winning games in that comp but when you have Chelsea on Sunday and 64 hours earlier play a game closer to Delhi than London yeah I'm with Jd, send the kids. A win would get us through but a loss doesn't kill us and Monaco are at home. Beating Chelsea is far more important than carrier bags ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd take Europa league cup and missing top 4 over finishing 2nd/3rd/4th and winning nothing.

Get to see your team winning a trophy and still get a UCL spot for next season.

I don't mind winning games in that comp but when you have Chelsea on Sunday and 64 hours earlier play a game closer to Delhi than London yeah I'm with Jd, send the kids. A win would get us through but a loss doesn't kill us and Monaco are at home. Beating Chelsea is far more important than carrier bags ;)
Monaco aren't what they used to be either. they've sold most of their good players.

I'd take Europa league cup and missing top 4 over finishing 2nd/3rd/4th and winning nothing.

Get to see your team winning a trophy and still get a UCL spot for next season.
stop being all serious up in here when i'm trolling Pool for not being in the UCL :mad:

Enjoy the minnowship next year

Whilst they are still letting in the dropouts from the CL it is a bit of a reject cup.
It's amazing considering your lack of success as a club and your lack of trophies that fans take the EL like a nuisance. It's a great opportunity to win a really big European trophy. It would be HUGE for Tottenham to win, not sure why you dont want to??

It's amazing considering your lack of success as a club and your lack of trophies that fans take the EL like a nuisance. It's a great opportunity to win a really big European trophy. It would be HUGE for Tottenham to win, not sure why you dont want to??
Because rejects from the elite European competition come in more than halfway through the competition. Sides that finish 3rd in a Champions League group often have 1 win out of 6 in that tournament yet are treated as a better side than sides who've won multiple games and finished 2nd in the EL. Whilst those sides get an easy passage as a seeded team in the final 32 it's not a great opportunity at all

Because rejects from the elite European competition come in more than halfway through the competition. Sides that finish 3rd in a Champions League group often have 1 win out of 6 in that tournament yet are treated as a better side than sides who've won multiple games and finished 2nd in the EL.
So? Forget about the format. You're in a competition you are capable of winning. Most clubs in England get the chance to win three trophies a year. The Premier League, FA Cup and League Cup. Some lucky enough to do well enough in the league, get to compete in Europe.

So for those clubs, four trophies a year. It's tough to win a trophy. A European one, even tougher, ask Arsenal about that who are a huge club but have doughnutted when tackling Europe.

What a great adventure it would be for Spurs to run deep in the Europa League, I mean how much would you love coming up against say us in the QF's, the European nights at Anfield, you get a famous win. Roma next in the semi's. A trip to Europe for the traveling fans to compete in a huge European semi final. You get another famous win and make into a Europa League/UEFA Cup Final. What a night for Spurs fans to savour.

And what if you win. The cup, the memories, the tour around the city showing it off. It's history. It's what footballs about, winning trophies.

Maybe you've never experienced it so you dont realise what you are missing.

You know as a Liverpool fan we have finished top 4 a ton of times and qualified for the CL. But I dont sit here and remember that glorious season when we finished fourth.

What I do remember is the 5-4 over Alaves to win the UEFA Cup in an absolutely crazy final. I remember Gerrard deflected wonderstrike to beat United 2-0 in the League Cup Final. I remember the Gerrard FA Cup final, the amazing strike with seconds left. I remember Istanbul.

I dont remember finishing third one year.

I swear some people have forgotten what footballs about. It frustrates me.

So? Forget about the format. You're in a competition you are capable of winning. Most clubs in England get the chance to win three trophies a year. The Premier League, FA Cup and League Cup. Some lucky enough to do well enough in the league, get to compete in Europe.

So for those clubs, four trophies a year. It's tough to win a trophy. A European one, even tougher, ask Arsenal about that who are a huge club but have doughnutted when tackling Europe.

What a great adventure it would be for Spurs to run deep in the Europa League, I mean how much would you love coming up against say us in the QF's, the European nights at Anfield, you get a famous win. Roma next in the semi's. A trip to Europe for the traveling fans to compete in a huge European semi final. You get another famous win and make into a Europa League/UEFA Cup Final. What a night for Spurs fans to savour.

And what if you win. The cup, the memories, the tour around the city showing it off. It's history. It's what footballs about, winning trophies.

Maybe you've never experienced it so you dont realise what you are missing.
8 rejects enter in the final 32. Whilst that still exists it should be treated as our secondary competition. Obviously once it gets down to the final 8 it's a bit more of an achievable target but right now there's still 8 teams yet to enter into the cup so why compromise league results for it when in all likelihood the finalist is yet to even enter

Back