Opinion Maybe we SHOULD trade Mitchell

Remove this Banner Ad

Our clearances have actually always struck me as a weak point, at least in the centre square. We regularly have periods in games where the opposition just clears the ball at will for about 10-15 minutes (it's almost guaranteed at some point against the Hawks in recent years)

Although I may be completely wrong.

I don't think you are. Clearances has been a problem at the Swans for a few years now. Kennedy is our only player (other than Mitchell) who can do it.

I
So, I'm a big Mitchell fan. And he's obviously a really, really promising player. However, let's look at the facts. We are getting Heeney this year, Mills and Dunkley next (we will get both of them, we'll just have to pay more than our first two picks). While I think Heeney is slightly overrated, Mills and Dunkley both look top 10 worthy, maybe even both top 5.

We also have the likes of Brandon Jack, Dan Robinson, George Hewett, Lloyd Perris, Shane Biggs and Zak Jones (the latter two being primarily defenders but could easily play midfield). Also Towers, I suppose. We have Cunningham pushing into the midfield from the small defender/forward role too, his early career is shaping up very similar to Kieran Jack's. And Craig Bird was our sub in the Grand Final, but at full fitness he's best 21.

We also have no imminent midfield retirements. Our oldest midfielder is McVeigh, and he's got tons of footy left in him. There won't be any spots becoming available in our side through retirements any time soon. So if Mitchell comes in, it will be at the expense of another promising young player. Even if Mitchell is the better player, replacing one extremely talented young midfielder with another slightly more talented midfielder isn't efficient list management.

On the other hand, we WILL have spots opening up in defence, and we probably need a "mercurial" small forward. Also, for all his talent, Mitchell is A) an indiscriminate kick at best, and B) regularly injured. He has mountains of trade value.

With that in mind, I propose we trade him. For what exactly, I'm not sure, but something that addresses our key deficits. It will hurt to see the player we've been so hyped to see develop in the red and white do it elsewhere, but I feel that if we get a reasonable offer we should definitely consider it.

just think given the way we played on Saturday, the prototype Mitchell mid fielder is exactly what we need...not some untried skinny rookie. Get me a KPD and I'll be happy....starting to really like the idea of Merritt....

Folks need to watch the early games to get reminded how good Hanners was going then did his ankle and that was essentially his season lost all momentum.

Reflected in early Brownlow counts...

Cause we have Heeney, Mills and Dunkley all coming through the system. It is not like we are short of midfielders at the moment. Richards is going to be 32.5 years old at the start of 2015, 33 by the end of the season. Grundy will be almost 29 at the start of the 2015 season as well.

Richards has now reached an age where he could decline in output very quickly. I don't want him too but look what happened to O'Keefe. He won the Norm Smith in 2012 and 18 months later he was out of the team.

Maybe we don't take all three?

Only if we can get an A grade KPD to take the heat of Richards/Grundy in the next couple of years. Of which there are not many on the market.
This one area we should really concentrate on, but it could be tough to achieve.

Pick 36: Sydney – Oscar McDonald

Position: Key defender/forward
Height: 196 cm, Weight: 88 kg, DOB: 18/03/1996
Club: North Ballarat
Projected draft range 50-rookie
Player comparison: Jackson Trengove

My biggest tip as this year’s monster draft bolter, Oscar McDonald is one of the better key defenders I am really bullish about in terms of advancing to the next level. He is tall and athletic, and also picks off numerous forward 50 entries with his tremendous ability to take intercept marks and rebound strongly. Best described as a general in defence, McDonald – the younger brother of Melbourne’s Tom – is extremely versatile as a defender, and, unlike most key defenders, he loves to back himself and use the ball by foot. He hits the ball flat and hard, and has a really nice turn of foot, being deceptively quick over his first few steps. The Rebels have also used him as a key forward, where he’s shown he can be equally as damaging. He has a fantastic leap, strong hands, really good work rate and rarely ever goes to ground. I’m a big fan of the way that he loves to play in front of his man, often a few metres ahead. Simply, he’s a super smart footballer, and led the TAC Cup competition for contested marks this year.

Player Update: He took home the coveted Coaches Award at the Morrish Medal and was named at CHB in the TAC Cup team of the year. His big name scalps this year include Darcy Moore, Peter Wright and Paddy McCartin. McDonald is making huge inroads to be taken inside the top 30.

From Paige Cardona's phantom.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back