Traded Mega deal - 4 clubs, 2 players, 14 picks (inc #1, #2, #3, #8, #12 and 5 future picks)

Remove this Banner Ad

Port Adelaide are laughing. If they’re half good in 2023 those future pick swaps might not matter as they’ll roughly be in the same range. Basically they’ve traded 8, a future first, 43, 53 and 57 for JHF and Rioli. Crazy good.

If North didn’t want Cadman then I think it’s alright given the circumstances. They’ll still get the first choice midfielder. So 3, Ports future first and a small downgrade later in the draft for JHF looks pretty good to me.

West Coast’s angle looks rough but if they rate a couple of local boys highly then good on them. They haven’t got much of note under 25 years old so it’s probably a good idea to get a couple boys in for the price of one. Then it’s Rioli and 40 for Port’s future 2nd and 3rd. If Port finish 8th those picks will be 29 and 48. I don’t think they’ve done terribly but I can see why some would think that

GWS no good imo. Maybe I underrate the value of pick 1 but I’m not giving up a bloody good pick in 12 to move up from 3 to 1, never mind downgrading Collingwood’s future 2nd round pick to 53 and 57 in this draft also.

Just for fun, if Tom is right, how do you think it is structured.

GWS
In: Pick 1
Out: Pick 3, Pick 12

North
In: Pick 2, Pick 3, Future 1st (PA)
Out: Pick 1, Horne-Francis, Future 2nd

Port
In: Horne-Francis, Ratugolea, Rioli, Future 2nd (NM)
Out: Pick 8, Pick 33, Pick 43,Future 1st

WCE
In: Pick 8, Pick 12, Pick 43, Future 2nd (Bris)
Out: Pick 2, Pick 40, Rioli

Brisbane
In: Pick 40
Out: Future 2nd

Geelong
In: Pick 33
Out: Ratugolea

I’m assuming Brisbane is only involved in that they need more current year picks for father/son selections and possible Dunkley trade

Tom Brown wrong again.

A lot of melting in various boards, on the WC board we're certainly getting our fair share of it, but imo I'm fine with the downgrade. Yes, could be better (duh), but could be a lot worse and if the drafting team have two targets in mind that they're fairly certain will fall outside the top 7 but were reluctant to spend pick 2 on, you make that deal. With picks 8, 12, 20 and 26 you really should be unearthing a top player from at least a couple of those picks and many draft watchers think the talent taps out not long after 30.

We also managed to get something for Rioli and avoid the real threat of walking to the PSD for zilch.

Feel free to browse my post history if you're one of those types but I've been fairly consistent that this is about right for what it took to give up pick 2 and Rioli.

''Who won the trade period?'' Port Port and Port

on face value and not on face value Port didn't have to give a great deal in top end picks at all to get a once in a generation type talent elite powerful pacey mid. Pick 8 being the highest pick a F1st (is probably 13 to 18 range) and whole heap of other picks 2 round and further back. I'm doing that deal 11 times out of 10. I almost forgot Rioli as well.
Horne-Francis is not a once-in-a-generation pick. Every draft has top shelf midfielders.

Think Port will be melting next year when they are bottom 4.
Unless their core experience players all struggle and all have a foot in retirement, they have a list to finish above the Saints and Richmond so worst they will finish is just outside the 8.

Unless their core experience players all struggle and all have a foot in retirement, they have a list to finish above the Saints and Richmond so worst they will finish is just outside the 8.
Richmond are adding two gun mids which is probably their biggest weakness, suns at a minimum will jump them.

A team that has no good KPD’s won’t make the 8.

Richmond are adding two gun mids which is probably their biggest weakness, suns at a minimum will jump them.

A team that has no good KPD’s won’t make the 8.
I think they will just make the 8 if their experience players stay healthy but you are correct in that I can't see them contending for the premiership as their backline is still very weak for the quality side, they will get enough win against the lesser sides aided by a weaker fixture.

The deal looks good for Port if you still rate JHF as a pick 1. I don't. Will not even be close to the best player from his draft. I think North got very good value for a depreciating asset.

Port Adelaide are laughing. If they’re half good in 2023 those future pick swaps might not matter as they’ll roughly be in the same range. Basically they’ve traded 8, a future first, 43, 53 and 57 for JHF and Rioli. Crazy good.

If North didn’t want Cadman then I think it’s alright given the circumstances. They’ll still get the first choice midfielder. So 3, Ports future first and a small downgrade later in the draft for JHF looks pretty good to me.

West Coast’s angle looks rough but if they rate a couple of local boys highly then good on them. They haven’t got much of note under 25 years old so it’s probably a good idea to get a couple boys in for the price of one. Then it’s Rioli and 40 for Port’s future 2nd and 3rd. If Port finish 8th those picks will be 29 and 48. I don’t think they’ve done terribly but I can see why some would think that

GWS no good imo. Maybe I underrate the value of pick 1 but I’m not giving up a bloody good pick in 12 to move up from 3 to 1, never mind downgrading Collingwood’s future 2nd round pick to 53 and 57 in this draft also.

Agree on all that. To be fair to gws they have 4 picks inside 20 (and more once hopper is done)they can afford to overpay to fill a key need so i think they did the right thing moving up for cadman. If theres ever one player type that costs a lot in trades its a key forward so i can understand why they did it.

You would think that has to be the case, but from an outsider I just can't wrap my head around why you're not targeting a KPF in this draft? You seem to have heaps of talented mids even with JHF leaving but very light on KPPs, especially forward now that you got logue
Maybe because there are better key forwards in next years draft than Cadman, who has question marks on his kicking. North will pick up a gun key forward in the next draft as I’m pretty sure they will finish bottom 4 again . I’m Assuming they pick Wardlaw who replaces JHF and Sheezel whose the most talented player of the draft for 2 and 3 and they will be pretty happy with that. Also if Port have a worse than expected season next year they will add another top 10 pick in a better draft

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port huge winners if JHF becomes as good as we think he can be.
That’s no certainty though Tom Boyd was supposed to be a sure thing as well. It all comes down to if north nail there picks this year. Also I’m not sure why people are acting like port a lock for finals next year there’s a decent chance that’s another top ten pick

That’s no certainty though Tom Boyd was supposed to be a sure thing as well. It all comes down to if north nail there picks this year. Also I’m not sure why people are acting like port a lock for finals next year there’s a decent chance that’s another top ten pick
I think the poster mean they won based on the trade value right now but if Port's season next year is where Hinkley is finally sacked halfway and the young players apparently do like him which will cause their season to derail further then it will be 2 pick 1 for pick 2, 3, 8 and 4.

Great intercept defender, not going to lockdown Cameron/Lynch though is he?
Yes he can. Lynch was destroying our key defenders, Aliir went to him and towelled him up the rest of the night.

Who knows what we can turn Ratugolea into. He’s got all the tools to be a great 1 on 1 defender.

Port - JHF
North - 3 and a future first
GWS - Cadman
West Coast - 8, 12

It’s 4 teams all picking out young players that best suit them.

I’d say Port and North are the clearest winners. Port get a special player who looks at least comfortable at afl level. North get a top pick and bank a future first.

GWS and West Coast have gambled more. But they’ve gambled based on their evaluation of the draft board and they’ve got fair value.

Hard to argue with GWS going after Cadman. Not hard to see why west coast weren’t keen on pick 2 and like the double up.

The deal looks good for Port if you still rate JHF as a pick 1. I don't. Will not even be close to the best player from his draft. I think North got very good value for a depreciating asset.
I think you are wrong. jhf is now exactly where he has wanted to be and is back with family and friends. He will quickly become ports best player imo and thats saying something with rozee and butters there with him in the midfield. I think you will see why he was the no 1 pick in the not too distant future

Port - JHF
North - 3 and a future first
GWS - Cadman
West Coast - 8, 12

It’s 4 teams all picking out young players that best suit them.

I’d say Port and North are the clearest winners. Port get a special player who looks at least comfortable at afl level. North get a top pick and bank a future first.

GWS and West Coast have gambled more. But they’ve gambled based on their evaluation of the draft board and they’ve got fair value.

Hard to argue with GWS going after Cadman. Not hard to see why west coast weren’t keen on pick 2 and like the double up.
I don’t think we are a clear winner

We just broke even which tbh is not good enough

Remove this Banner Ad

Back