Game Day NAB Cup Game 1 - Brisbane Lions v St Kilda @ Burpengary

Remove this Banner Ad

It's safe to say that martin is miles ahead of luey now.

Although everyone did seem a little rusty yesterday, so that's a decent excuse, i guess.

I dont know why people are so hell bent on having Martin or Bergs as better. They are both great players in different ways, which is why its great having both of them. Bergs tap work is underrated by many and i think is better than Martin, however Stef makes up for it with his work around the contest and around the ground.

Bergs just needs to get on the Park a bit more. When he plays solid chunks of footy he is one of the best rucks in the game.

re: negativity it was interesting one of the clubs tweets form Leppas press conference was that we had underestimated the lack of a intra club match had on the team.

Definitely plenty of cob webs blown out in this match instead of last weekend in the intra club.

Leuie did seem a step behind and even lover was out jumping him in the renter bounces, but given leuie has had a modified program it shouldn't be a surprise he is a bit behind.

Other positives aside from some mentioned by others is bewick seemed more competitive in the contest than in the past. He might manage to hold onto a spot othe wing after his strong end to last year too.

Also Lewis Taylor was great. I wasn't sure if he had much more improvement in him but he seemed fitter and more composed othe ball. Pretty nice surprise given how good he was last year!!

Fingers crossed the forwards work it out.

I actually like part of Close's game. I no some are bagging him for not getting it enough and being soft. But how many forwards actually get alot of the ball (apart from Reiwoldt) Usually they only get the pill 10 times or so.

He had a few really nice contested marks where he had to protect the drop zone of the ball. I reckon this was a key part that Brown has taught him. I do, however, think he needs to use his tank and just run up and down the ground and also to try and get more seperation from his opponent.

Just watching some of the replay - I'm surprised the commentators didn't start talking about how Huey Lewis & the News are a bit "too black sounding" for their tastes.

Plenty of positives and negatives as to be expected but on a side note is anyone else infuriated that this is the second game against St Kilda where Leigh Fisher has been an officiating umpire? I'm sure they are trained to be impartial but surely he is influenced by being a past saints player and it can't be that hard to have Leigh umpire non saints games. End rant/

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually thought from a spoiling perspective Merrett was good. A big intimidating presence in the backline. Sadly he's back to the Merrett/Brennan show days with his disposal some of the time. Hopefully the worst of the barnacles get knocked of the good ship Rusty Fist.

Plenty of positives and negatives as to be expected but on a side note is anyone else infuriated that this is the second game against St Kilda where Leigh Fisher has been an officiating umpire? I'm sure they are trained to be impartial but surely he is influenced by being a past saints player and it can't be that hard to have Leigh umpire non saints games. End rant/
I think we've had him more than twice against the Saints, but yeah, was my first thought when the umpires ran out. Even if he is fair, I reckon it's just a bad look having ex-players officiate games involving their old club.
I think last time, he started out paying a bit their way, then tried to favour us to balance it up after half time. I hate that. Fair consistency from first bounce to final siren is all I ask.

On the broadcast commentary I assumed they have picked up a radio station stream and the periodic silence was when they cut away to ads on the radio. Could be wrong but that is the way it seemed to me especially when they were doing all the incommentary ads.

Favourite photo from the day.

10863776_10155297169985173_5333370475696856220_o.jpg

Great to see Rich back in the original Lion!

OMG its the BLK Lion that they did! Aweseome

When did blk become so interested in AFL?

Gah! I wish nike were this interested in AFL apparel. :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back