Universal Love Nathan Fyfe

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't necessarily disagree. But say at the end of this year Fyfe is a Browlow medalist, two time AFLPA MVP, winner of the AFL Coaches award, and has multiple All Australians and Doig medals (maybe even Norm Smith :D). It will be a tough argument then.

My argument is based on the assumption that Fyfe will be AA this year as well as winning the Brownlow, AFLCA and MVP. It's worth noting that if Fyfe wins the Norm Smith, then Pav will be a 338 game premiership captain!

Well, with the Eagles winning so many games Priddis it is perhaps only Fyfe preventing Priddis from winning back to back Brownlows.
Now they are winning consistently, it won't be just Priddis getting votes. Kennedy is in rare form kicking bags as well as Le Cras back to his best. Gaff has also been in a great patch for them as well. Atm Fyfe is rising it a notch each game. Mundy might be getting votes early but dropping off. Maybe Sandi getting some too. But apart from that Fyfe is miles ahead for Freo.

Pav pinched one of those off Fyfe though. It should really be 5 for Pav vs 3 (soon to be 4) for Fyfe.

I know that was the popular opinion, but I've never agreed with it. I actually thought McPharlin was our best that year. I had Fyfe third.

I know that was the popular opinion, but I've never agreed with it. I actually thought McPharlin was our best that year. I had Fyfe third.

I remember it was a dead heat between Fyfe and Luke, with Pav the dark horse. It would have been nice for McPharlin to take out at least one BnF. Also he was robbed of AA that year (Fyfe too arguably), only because he played in a non vic side that missed finals

Dunno about that, Fyfe was top 20 in the league for contested marks and contested possessions as a 19 year old. Arguably this is the first season that has truly fulfilled on what he promised in 2011 as a well rounded footballer that is dangerous everywhere on the field.

Not to diminish his seasons 2012-2014, but he was hampered by shoulder issues after his injury against Brisbane in 2012, which blunted his contested marking.

Dunno about that, Fyfe was top 20 in the league for contested marks and contested possessions as a 19 year old. Arguably this is the first season that has truly fulfilled on what he promised in 2011 as a well rounded footballer that is dangerous everywhere on the field.

Not to diminish his seasons 2012-2014, but he was hampered by shoulder issues after his injury against Brisbane in 2012, which blunted his contested marking.

I see Fyfes breakout years as 2011 and 2015.

I don't think Fyfe's disposal was consistent enough in 2011. It was only in 2014 that he really started to use the ball consistently well. I reckon his 2014 season was far better than his 2011 season.

What sort of dollars are we looking at when Fyfes next contract is negotiated,north of a $1,000,000.00 per year?
When Fyfe is out of contract there will be 17 other teams making overtures.

Look for a Buddy length offer.

If his manager has any idea Fyfe will become AFL's first $20 million man.

What sort of dollars are we looking at when Fyfes next contract is negotiated,north of a $1,000,000.00 per year?
Pay him the entire salary cap. Everyone else will play for free for the privilege of being in the same side as Fyfe. I might be biased though

I don't think Fyfe's disposal was consistent enough in 2011. It was only in 2014 that he really started to use the ball consistently well. I reckon his 2014 season was far better than his 2011 season.
He wasn't kicking the freak goals he has this year in 2014. But in 2011 he was.

And Pavs disposal was shocking in 2011. From memory, in one game Pav had a kicking efficiency of 11%.

When Fyfe is out of contract there will be 17 other teams making overtures.

Look for a Buddy length offer.

If his manager has any idea Fyfe will become AFL's first $20 million man.

it will depend what Fyfe wants out of his career.

If he wants to keep trying to win flags he will stay at freo and take ~$1m a year.

Or he could do a Judd and just go where the most money is available where he gets ~$2m a year but his team can't win finals.

I can't see him pulling a Judd... but your right. Every club in the comp would be trying to talk to his manager.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My argument is based on the assumption that Fyfe will be AA this year as well as winning the Brownlow, AFLCA and MVP. It's worth noting that if Fyfe wins the Norm Smith, then Pav will be a 338 game premiership captain!

Pretty sure you can win the NS and not be in the winning side...? Didn't Buckley, or one of the pies players win but still lost GF?

I can't see him pulling a Judd when he goes home back to Lake Grace so often. But I will never be confident until he signs a Buddy-type contract with us. Fyfe seems like a guy with big big goals in life, like owning a chopper one day, I can sort of see him being tempted by truckloads of $$$ over east or something. I sincerely hope not.

I can't see him pulling a Judd when he goes home back to Lake Grace so often. But I will never be confident until he signs a Buddy-type contract with us. Fyfe seems like a guy with big big goals in life, like owning a chopper one day, I can sort of see him being tempted by truckloads of $$$ over east or something. I sincerely hope not.

I'm sure the boys at Woodside would have something to offer....

He wasn't kicking the freak goals he has this year in 2014. But in 2011 he was.

And Pavs disposal was shocking in 2011. From memory, in one game Pav had a kicking efficiency of 11%.

Yeah I didn't have Pav top 3 in 2011. From memory, I expected:

1. McPharlin
2. Sand Islands
3. Fyfe

Thought Luke was robbed.

Yeah I didn't have Pav top 3 in 2011. From memory, I expected:

1. McPharlin
2. Sand Islands
3. Fyfe

Thought Luke was robbed.
Sandi missed a fair chunk of 2011 with injury. IMO the season where McPharlin was most unlucky not to win was 2012. I think he was in the lead until his injury late in the season. Sandilands should have won the 2010 Doig, he was a dominant force that season.

For 2011, the AFLCA votes at the end of the year had Fyfe leading for Freo, and from memory he finished top 20 in the league. He also lead for Freo in Brownlow votes and finished top 20 there as well.

Sandi missed a fair chunk of 2011 with injury. IMO the season where McPharlin was most unlucky not to win was 2012. I think he was in the lead until his injury late in the season. Sandilands should have won the 2010 Doig, he was a dominant force that season.

For 2011, the AFLCA votes at the end of the year had Fyfe leading for Freo, and from memory he finished top 20 in the league. He also lead for Freo in Brownlow votes and finished top 20 there as well.

Ok, you're probably right. I may be getting my season's mixed up. I just remember everyone saying Fyfe was robbed, when I was thinking that Luke should have been the winner. When was the last time a defender won the doig, though? Steve O'Reilly?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back