Nathan Jones re-signs at Melbourne for four more years

Remove this Banner Ad

Loyalty?
I'd say it has as much to do with Melbourne being able to pay him more than anyone else would offer

So he wanted money but thought that only Melbourne would pay him a good amount. So he signs on.... in December.

I mean really? If he was holding out for a better paycheck then surely he would have, you know, held out.

Look at how angry people get.

Could've made big coin as a free agent and had a shot at playing finals. Ah well his call.
Melbourne are on the right track, it doesn't take long to turn a club around if you have the right coach in place and don't try to take short cuts like some teams;)

This type of loyalty from Jones is exactly what Melbourne needed.

Loyalty?
I'd say it has as much to do with Melbourne being able to pay him more than anyone else would offer
Have you ever played football, there is more pride and joy to be had in being a one team player and helping a team rise from the bottom than running off for the biggest pay cheque or to grab some easy success?

Have you ever played football, there is more pride and joy to be had in being a one team player and helping a team rise from the bottom than running off for the biggest pay cheque or to grab some easy success?
Tom Scully board
Tom Boyd board
Lance Franklin board
Garry Ablett Jnr Board

So he wanted money but thought that only Melbourne would pay him a good amount. So he signs on.... in December.

I mean really? If he was holding out for a better paycheck then surely he would have, you know, held out.
No he could get a good amount anywhere because he is a decent player but what club would be able to offer him more than Melbourne who have realistically no one bar him who is even close to elite

Tom Scully board
Tom Boyd board
Lance Franklin board
Garry Ablett Jnr Board

No he could get a good amount anywhere because he is a decent player but what club would be able to offer him more than Melbourne who have realistically no one bar him who is even close to elite
Some chase the dollars and not always successfully some prefer the honour of being a one team player often the rewards for the second type come after their careers end.

You are assuming that he could get bigger money elsewhere

Who knows, he didn't wait to see if he'd be getting big offers down the track, and had plenty of time to do so. If we payed him big money then he absolutely deserves it. He's been the one thing getting Melbourne supporters to games the past few years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who knows, he didn't wait to see if he'd be getting big offers down the track, and had plenty of time to do so. If we payed him big money then he absolutely deserves it. He's been the one thing getting Melbourne supporters to games the past few years.
Not saying he doesn't deserve it but to just put it down to "loyalty" is naive

You are assuming that he could get bigger money elsewhere
Not really, just not raining on the Demons parade he is a good footballer so it is great for them that he signed, he showed loyalty as he could have dragged it out all year and if he had a great year possibly made a lot more.

lol "loyalty yay" posts.

He's staying because they gave him a massive payrise.

Anyone reckon he hasn't earned one?

Plenty of clubs would have been able to match what Melbourne paid, and he didn't even listen to them.

More importantly, it (finally) signifies Melbourne is back to rewarding its veteran players and high performers instead of playing them in the ressies then trading them for nothing.

Melbourne offered him the most or he was unwilling to leave Victoria.

These are both more plausible than "Oh he totally loves the Demons".

There is a lot to be said for loyalty, it often has it's own rewards.

Yeah, a hardy clap at the club player reunions.

Yeah, a hardy clap at the club player reunions.
Really do try and think if your going to post, look at your own coach Hirdyou don't think he didn't get assistance after his career by wealthy supporters to set up his million dollar business, many Melbourne supporters have lots of clout in places that count, football is for a few years then you lead the rest of your life, that clout can determine how you lead it.

Plenty to gain for both parties

Melbourne don't have anywhere better to spend their cap and get to keep their captain until he more or less retires

NJ gets to makes a ton of cash and will be almost guaranteed to retire a Melbourne legend, albeit most likely won't even have a chance at a premiership window.

Its good news but is it main board worthy ?
I'll answer that question with a post from this thread covering Cotchin's re-signing -
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/cotchin-off-free-agency-market.1083316/

One of the 18 club captains re-signs for 5 years at his peak is not mainboard worthy?
You're right, it doesn't fit in with gems such as "Is it just me?", "Who is the worst player you have seen play?", "Congratulations David Rodan" or "Famous AFL Fans"

I agree. And so did you..
You sir are a star! Mate, let me know which prison you are from as I want to send you a gift voucher :p
Seriously though, great post.
Great post. But I guess only when it's Cotchin and not Jones that is the subject.

Last edited:
Fantastic news for Melbourne, great loyalty by Jones to stay at the club, you don't see that too much these days so that in itself is fantastic, although I lost quite a bit of respect for Jones after his 'performances' against the dogs tbh..

“My intention all along was to stay in the red and blue. For me, I’ve been here for a long time now and I’ve been through a fair bit of ups and downs – and a lot of downs … in terms of team success. But I really want to see it through,” he said.
“We’re on the right track now and it’s something I really want to be a part of and make sure I’m leading the way.
“That never really crossed my mind [leaving or exploring free agency]. I was in contract for another season and I was really pleased when the club approached me in terms of trying to renegotiate next year and extend beyond that.
“It was important for me to stay a one club player. It’s the footy club that’s given me a chance and it’s supported me all the way and I’ve been lucky enough to have some real individual success over the last few years. I couldn’t be more driven personally to make the team better and watch my teammates succeed and hopefully still be leading the way.”

If you think he doesn't love the club, you don't know Jones from a bar of soap. He's not your prototype paycheque player. The club was always a huge part of his decision-making process. Whether you choose to believe that or not is irrelevant.

Really do try and think if your going to post, look at your own coach Hirdyou don't think he didn't get assistance after his career by wealthy supporters to set up his million dollar business, many Melbourne supporters have lots of clout in places that count, football is for a few years then you lead the rest of your life, that clout can determine how you lead it.

Successful players will get off-field opportunities whether they play for one club or three.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back