Nathan Jones re-signs at Melbourne for four more years

Remove this Banner Ad

Meeting with a player isn't offering a contract.

Not discounting it, but with Frost and Lumumba both being superior choices, I'd be surprised.
No doubt Roos spoke to him but as you said we would never have looked seriously at him once Lumumba and Frost were in the frame. I also don't see how Gwilt would fit into our team.

Well done nathan jones. Good to see some loyalty still exists. Should be the highest paid player there and deserves it.

I'd say he is still there because HE IS the highest paid player on their list.

He'd be a *in' idiot if he wasted the rest of his playing career for loyalty.

Would not mind betting he frequents the Hellfire Club.....seems to like the pain does Jonesy. :cool:

The guy is a gun.....& respect to him for sticking fat.

He'd be a ****in' idiot if he wasted the rest of his playing career for loyalty.
Or he'd rather play with some integrity than try to win a superficial premiership like Frawley.

Could have made similar dollars at a better club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Roos went cold on Gwilt after two meetings because Ben Newton's management entered the frame. After that point it wasn't even a question who we decided to chase.

I certainly know which of the two I'd be happier to have.

[QUOTE="Testekill, post: 36491984, member: 94544"Being one of the few players that has consistently cracked in over the years would wear on you after a while.[/QUOTE]
What, are we just inventing verbs these days? :p

That's social suicide!

In all seriousness though good move.. must believe the club is moving in the right direction.. deserves the reap the benefit after those dark years..

He'd be a ****in' idiot if he wasted the rest of his playing career for loyalty.

And likewise, loyalty isn't a one way street.

If employers want their best staff to be loyal, pay them like the best.

Melbourne forgot that over the years, we let our senior guys get poached because we undervalued their influence in the locker room and the hard yards they had put in over the years on the field (when our admin and training was complete slop, I'll add - typical of management to blame the workers for their own failings though).

Jones is probably now one of the top 20-30 most highly paid players in the league. Its about right for what he does on field, and his loss would be catastrophic to us culturally.

Jones is probably now one of the top 20-30 most highly paid players in the league. Its about right for what he does on field, and his loss would be catastrophic to us culturally.
QFT - Jones has given far more to the club than his (substantial) on field output and deserves to be paid accordingly.

QFT - Jones has given far more to the club than his (substantial) on field output and deserves to be paid accordingly.

Money talks and bullshit walks, as they say.

No surprise that our most successful post-64 seasons were when we were paying close to 100% of the cap (sometimes we got so "financially enthusiastic" we even went over it)

wow, so much s**t from the hordes

Loyalty dosnt have a price tag. Good on him and Melbourne

Probably the highest paid Melbourne player by a mile, it's easy to be loyal when the Club has so much salary cap space they can offer you 600k+ when you're a good but not elite player (EG Ablett Pendlebury Franklin ect)

Probably the highest paid Melbourne player by a mile, it's easy to be loyal when the Club has so much salary cap space they can offer you 600k+ when you're a good but not elite player (EG Ablett Pendlebury Franklin ect)

600k is a bargain for N.Jones in his prime imo.

I'd expect we're paying closer to 800k than 600k.

600k is a bargain for N.Jones in his prime imo.

I'd expect we're paying closer to 800k than 600k.

Whatever he is worth I'd imagine Melbourne are paying him more because they have no one else to spend salary cap on and they were desperate to keep him, very easy to be loyal when you're getting paid a shitload to be loyal

Whatever he is worth I'd imagine Melbourne are paying him more because they have no one else to spend salary cap on and they were desperate to keep him, very easy to be loyal when you're getting paid a shitload to be loyal

That's a very stupid opinion you have there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back