NBL 23/24 Season - September 28 tip off

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a weird & stupid process if an act can supposedly be worth a 2 game suspension but only if a club asks the NBL to do their job. If the club says nothing then suddenly the act was cool??

Because of the Wildcats asking for it. Disappointing to whine to the authorities for someone to be punished at that level. We've seen worse go no further than the call in the game.

I think it was pretty bad, if you look at the slowmo ihe not only clotheslines him he actually makes a twisting motion with usher's neck after he hits him.

Also probably the worst thing about it was when he did it. They were down by 8 with 29 seconds left, the game was over.

Anyone who has played basketball at any level knows that sort of foul is seriously not on at that point in the game. Yes there are in game situations where you might give away a hard foul and risk a flagrant on a layup to make a statement or wear down a star player or try to make the opposition lose their cool, and yes there are times where, if you try to make heavy contact on someone you can miscalculate and end up doing something that looks far worse than what you intended. But you don't put that sort of hit on someone when there's 29 seconds left and you're down (or up) by a comfortable margin. At that point the game is for all intents and purposes over, and all anyone should be trying to do is play it out.

To do that when the game is effectively over is very unusual and probably the kindest explanation for it is pure spite and frustration (as opposed to him actually trying to injure someone)- and I can see an argument which says if someone is going to be so incredibly unsportsmanlike as to dish out a flagrant 2 with 30 seconds left, there actually does need to be some sort of suspension or fine, because getting tossed at that point in a game is not really a meaningful penalty.

All that said i do think two games is a little over the top. Usher didnt actually get injured and whilst it looked absolutely ****ed, with a hard foul like that on a player who is in the air and moving sometimes the outcome looks worse than what they intended. One game suspension would have been fair enough imo.

Last edited:

Great win from the Hawks today.

Tatum is a flat out excellent coach and probably too good for the NBL- his defensive rotations are excellent and the way he handles his late game subs is really smart.

On the other side, that was a seriously good defensive game from Travers, was constantly up in the passing lanes, 4 steals in a tight game is huge, particularly when they all resulted in him running the floor for an easy two.

Wouldn't shock me if illawarra go all the way to be honest, they are playing inspired basketball and they have the best coach in the league.

Hawks put up a great effort in game 1. I foolishly thought that might have been their best shot, with United likely putting them away today. But nope I was very very wrong.

It has been a top series. Hope game 3 lives up to the first 2.

Lucky it wasn’t on Cotton, he’d have been ejected and facing a life ban without the wildcats having to complain.
Could say the same about Goulding

Its pretty much an instant tech if another team breathes on him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back