News New Football Academy in Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.draftstar.com.au/myDraftStar/shop/index.php?ds_event_id=176

Ex AFL Stars Matt Scarlett, Cam Mooney, Brad Johnson & Rohan Smith have launched an academy of sorts to find the next Travis Boak, Jimmy Bartel or Darcy Gardiner from the Geelong area. Sounds promising.

Even better, I heard Moons talking about it on SEN this morning and he confirmed he has returned to Geelong FC, not in a coaching role but, believe it or not, in a catering / events role. Hopefully, though, he'll be able to do some player mentoring. He said he was desperate to get back into the fold at Geelong in whatever role the club could find him.

Even better, I heard Moons talking about it on SEN this morning and he confirmed he has returned to Geelong FC, not in a coaching role but, believe it or not, in a catering / events role.

So the freeloaders at the Presidents lunch could be served by the Big Hairy Cat ?

"So do you want fries with that ? .......well DO YOU ?" ;)

Ex AFL Stars Matt Scarlett, Cam Mooney, Brad Johnson & Rohan Smith have launched an academy of sorts to find the next Travis Boak, Jimmy Bartel or Darcy Gardiner from the Geelong area. Sounds promising.

Even better, I heard Moons talking about it on SEN this morning and he confirmed he has returned to Geelong FC, not in a coaching role but, believe it or not, in a catering / events role. Hopefully, though, he'll be able to do some player mentoring. He said he was desperate to get back into the fold at Geelong in whatever role the club could find him.
No point in finding the next Boak, Bartel or whoever, unless were going to hide him away somewhere from the age of about 12...
He'll only get drafted by Melbourne or St Kilda and all that hard work will be wasted!

No point in finding the next Boak, Bartel or whoever, unless were going to hide him away somewhere from the age of about 12...
He'll only get drafted by Melbourne or St Kilda and all that hard work will be wasted!
True but maybe Cats andvDogs Dan share be spoils by coaching the next Boak, Bartel etc to play like a dud in the Draft camp

Moons cutting Billy's cake, better watch out Moons don't want to get between Billy and cake :p

In the release the other day they said he will be doing work for the website so at a guess would think he might be hosting Down at Kardinia Park or something similar. With his commentating commitments can't see him hosting in the social club or similar on a game day.

Lingy is doing the player mentoring thing a few days a week if memory serves

I wonder if he will be heading up events like the MelCats functions. I went to one in 2012 (prior to a Hawks game) when they had the Premiership Cup at the function. Mooney and Rooke (who seems really quite shy for a killer player) spoke and the former Geelong player who had a shocking ankle injury was M.C. His name escapes me at the moment, but he was a nice bloke and bought me a few beers. I think that he originally came from Upway - Ferntree Gully way.

I wonder if he will be heading up events like the MelCats functions. I went to one in 2012 (prior to a Hawks game) when they had the Premiership Cup at the function. Mooney and Rooke (who seems really quite shy for a killer player) spoke and the former Geelong player who had a shocking ankle injury was M.C. His name escapes me at the moment, but he was a nice bloke and bought me a few beers. I think that he originally came from Upway - Ferntree Gully way.
Was that Snell, Rabbi?

True but maybe Cats andvDogs Dan share be spoils by coaching the next Boak, Bartel etc to play like a dud in the Draft camp
Great thoughts, but as you know these players are selected way before the draft camp

Sounds promising, lets hope they in particular seek out the sons of our ex players who qualify for father son.... would be nice to have some work put into kids that we then get first shot at.

The Bombers do it with the -I s**t you not- James Hird accademy.... and we all know that Hird or Essendon would never do anything slightly dodgey at all don't we

Sounds promising, lets hope they in particular seek out the sons of our ex players who qualify for father son.... would be nice to have some work put into kids that we then get first shot at.

The Bombers do it with the -I s**t you not- James Hird accademy.... and we all know that Hird or Essendon would never do anything slightly dodgey at all don't we

It just looks like one of the usual myriad commercial footy coaching clinic set-ups to me, nothing to do with the club.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

It just looks like one of the usual myriad commercial footy coaching clinic set-ups to me, nothing to do with the club.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Thats exactly what it is, I am just hoping that Moons and Scarlett help pay a little bit extra attention to those who would benefit most from it..... the ones that we can get before anyone else

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they can beat out their two Footscray partners. ;)
I'm sure the club is already keeping tabs on promising junior future father sons, just slip the list of names to Moons and he can make sure the right ones get into the group selected :D

Would hope that would be a given

Maybe it'll be an adoption thing - use the stepfather/ stepson rule or something. Just so its treated the same as the expansion state academies...

I hope they are really diligent and start by DandAing every boy born around Geelong from around 1980 on it would be negligent not to pick up the stray seeds. :D

Football Department spending cap ;)

Mooney is returning to the club to write articles for the cats website and appear on Cats TV, not catering ;).

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2015-01-09/cats-boost-online-coverage

Mooney will join premiership teammates Matthew Scarlett and Cameron Ling in returning to the Cattery albeit in an off-field role. Since retiring from AFL football, Mooney has become one of the AFL’s best up and coming media talents in his roles for SEN and Fox Footy. Cats fans will be able to hear from Mooney during the preseason and on regular programs throughout the home and away season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back