NLA (formerly an interview with speculative pick Tyler Roos)

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure about Eric - I hear he has slowhand(s)....

I always assumed he was a brilliant midfielder when he played AFL, winning multiple Brownlows. Isn't that why Gary Ablett Jnr is called Son of God?

I was shocked to see 7 news do a story on the Lions last night (and no scandal. Must have been a slow news day).
Only caught a bit of it, but was about young Roosy being up here training with the team. Was quite a decent length piece, talking about his bloodline, type of player he is etc. He looks so tiny. We are obviously relatively keenish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we are interested, l hope we are into him as a player by himself and not who his father is.

That's a given, but knowing what a great player and leader the father was and the work ethic and impact he had at his initial club, it certainly helps sorting the wheat from the chaff.

That's a given, but knowing what a great player and leader the father was and the work ethic and impact he had at his initial club, it certainly helps sorting the wheat from the chaff.

Yep.... but history also shows not many sons have lived up to their dads AFL reputation or ability.....Garry Ablett Jr, may have been blessed with Nathans share as well....But then agin the Tuck/Ablett combo failed to live up to the initial hype..

Yep.... but history also shows not many sons have lived up to their dads AFL reputation or ability.....Garry Ablett Jr, may have been blessed with Nathans share as well....But then agin the Tuck/Ablett combo failed to live up to the initial hype..
I don't think there is any hype about his playing ability, but if he's got enough (and honestly I don't know because I've never seen him play) then you can be confident enough about the other aspects - IMO.

I don't think there is any hype about his playing ability, but if he's got enough (and honestly I don't know because I've never seen him play) then you can be confident enough about the other aspects - IMO.

Yep..don't take it the wrong way... I was agreeing with your initial comment "sorting the wheat from the chaff".

Edit:My understanding is the younger Roos, Dylan, is an absolute gun.

Last edited:
Yep..don't take it the wrong way... I was agreeing with your initial comment "sorting the wheat from the chaff".

Edit:My understanding is the younger Roos, Dylan, is an absolute gun.
Dylan is eldest I think.

Dylan is eldest I think.

Yep....I was being funny...Sorry..the reference being "what would I know!"..Fairly common knowledge that Dylan is 2 years older and FWIW is nowhere near AFL standard.

Its OK, I forsee the Roos sons as being like our version of the Clokes. Keep taking them until we stirke (at least some) gold.

He only has the two, Tyler's the youngest. Trust Angus and Malcolm and the like to screw up that plan too! ;)

Only seen him play live once this year. Is shorter than his Dad but has a similar physique at the same age (Paul was a skinny kid at U19 level). But Paul was a gun pretty much right from the start. Tyler has skill but from what I saw his disposal is not quite there and he is neither tall nor fast. Don't want to right him off but he is not in the "too good to refuse" category from the small amount of him I have seen and read. Would rate him late pick or rookie draft - others who know more about him feel free to disagree.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back