NMFC mentions on television & wireless

Remove this Banner Ad

I got the impression it was a (whole) football department 'utensil up' following a decision to focus on pure endurance, instead of more stop-start, repeat sprint training. In short, the physical preparation and programs implemented by Saunders arose from decisions taken together about what would be needed. That was the 'utensil up' or, more accurately, incorrect assessment in hindsight and not totally a Saunders issue.

Also, people here talk of Garner's 'paper hamstrings' (ie Garner's physiology, not Saunders' program). That said, fellow youngsters, Anderson and Turner (and LMac) all succumbed to this injury. I'm assuming a different preparation may have helped avoid some of these.

In the clubs defense, they did come out during the year and mentioned we made mistakes on overestimating the impact of the reduced rotations. I think we need to give the club some leeway and make some corrections as I am confident we will be ok from here on in. There was another club that won a premiership on a mass of injuries in the same year, but fortunately for them they had their key players return for the finals. We didnt.

Having never seen Wood play live, be interested to know if you think he lacks confidence on the field. Personally I hope he think he's going to be the greatest player ever....and then walks the talk.

He walks around like he owns the joint on the field at training and was starting to step up on match day as well.

In the clubs defense, they did come out during the year and mentioned we made mistakes on overestimating the impact of the reduced rotations. I think we need to give the club some leeway and make some corrections as I am confident we will be ok from here on in. There was another club that won a premiership on a mass of injuries in the same year, but fortunately for them they had their key players return for the finals. We didnt.
I don't have strong feelings about the club's decisions here either way; more pointing out that the 'blame' (if any) wasn't one to be laid at the feet of Saunders (alone).

I think the Dogs/Roos comparisons re injury don't tell the full story regarding the finals outcomes.

yeah, never thought he lacked the confidence. Just need to put games together and he'll he'll become a media darling.
Be nice to hear the word 'star' attached to his name, for deserved performances, and for the 'Norf don't have any stars' narrative to shift.

I don't have strong feelings about the club's decisions here either way; more pointing out that the 'blame' (if any) wasn't one to be laid at the feet of Saunders (alone).

I think the Dogs/Roos comparisons re injury don't tell the full story regarding the finals outcomes.
Yeh sorry my comment wasnt directly replying to you message, but kind of adding to the conversation my thoughts :)

Be nice to hear the word 'star' attached to his name, for deserved performances, and for the 'Norf don't have any stars' narrative to shift.

RoCo made it clear that he, at the very least, was ready to publish articles praising Woody's arrival last season, then the injury hit. When he does break through with consistency I'm tipping RoCo will be all over it. He was likening his potential impact, with his marking, kicking and running abilities, to Gunston from Hawthorn. Let's hope!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back