no ufc for melbourne?

Remove this Banner Ad

I did answer this. I said a decent boxer wouldn't give the wrestler a chance to get him down. Unless of course the wrestler fell on him while falling on to the canvas unconcious.

Don't get me wrong guys, I could write a thesis on what's wrong with boxing and ways to improve it. The majority of it these days is anything but dignified. It's corrupt on so many levels and many many fights should never have gone ahead which could have saved quite a few lives.

In fact in an ideal world maybe banning both boxing (or let them box only with head guards) and MMA wouldn't be such a bad thing.

Anything that stops promoting violence in an unfortunately already violent society. That's my last word. I probably should not have come on here, don't like kicking other people's interests but seeing it on TV, online, it just doesn't look right in my eyes.

Good luck following your 'sport'

Lol, you literally have no idea what you're talking about.

MMA promotes street violence about as much as formula one promotes breaking the speed limit.

I asked if you wanted education on MMA, but you have never responded. In terms of legitimate discussion of MMA, I consider you nothing but a troll, obviously content in your ignorance.

Go away and let the people who know what they are talking about talk.

If you think Manny or Mayweather would last even a round with an actual FIGHTER like BJ Penn or Jose Aldo, you're simply delusional. Educate yourself mate.

obvious_troll.jpg

Stop feeding the troll.

I don't think he's a troll, I just think he's an ignorant fool.

Meh who cares? The outraged generally come from a very suprising generation. Men pushing the baby bomer age group. They hate MMA for a reason that so far I haven't been able to understand. My old man and my Uncle hate it. Like really hate it, like it's the end of time hate it. Both think boxing is noble. If you really look at the newspaper stories and true opponents of MMA out there, it's mostly men, in their 40s, pushing some form of sentimental purity. There is some save the children s**t and a smattering of AMA violence is wrong stuff, but that really was basically owned when the boxing crowd pulled logic the first time round. Gotta love the irony.

Bottom line. These old crows are going to die well before us. Wait it out.

Meh who cares? The outraged generally come from a very suprising generation. Men pushing the baby bomer age group. They hate MMA for a reason that so far I haven't been able to understand. My old man and my Uncle hate it. Like really hate it, like it's the end of time hate it. Both think boxing is noble. If you really look at the newspaper stories and true opponents of MMA out there, it's mostly men, in their 40s, pushing some form of sentimental purity. There is some save the children s**t and a smattering of AMA violence is wrong stuff, but that really was basically owned when the boxing crowd pulled logic the first time round. Gotta love the irony.

Bottom line. These old crows are going to die well before us. Wait it out.

I love these blokes already. Listen to your father son. Get out before it's too late.

It's the whole aesthetic of the thing, laying into blokes when they're down, kicking. We've (over 40s) been brought up believing these acts are the lowest of the low.

I love these blokes already. Listen to your father son. Get out before it's too late.

It's the whole aesthetic of the thing, laying into blokes when they're down, kicking. We've (over 40s) been brought up believing these acts are the lowest of the low.

Thanks for confirming. To be honest, I've got nothing against you. And the MMA crowd really is pretty precious. Myself included in the past, and honestly in the present. But on the other hand I don't feel the need to justify myself to you either, and it would seem attempting to convince you to take up the call... Well as I said, you will die out.

You do read like an intelligent enough guy though. Hence the troll call.

I did answer this. I said a decent boxer wouldn't give the wrestler a chance to get him down. Unless of course the wrestler fell on him while falling on to the canvas unconcious.

Don't get me wrong guys, I could write a thesis on what's wrong with boxing and ways to improve it. The majority of it these days is anything but dignified. It's corrupt on so many levels and many many fights should never have gone ahead which could have saved quite a few lives.

In fact in an ideal world maybe banning both boxing (or let them box only with head guards) and MMA wouldn't be such a bad thing.

Anything that stops promoting violence in an unfortunately already violent society. That's my last word. I probably should not have come on here, don't like kicking other people's interests but seeing it on TV, online, it just doesn't look right in my eyes.

Good luck following your 'sport'
Haha what a fool. Unbelievable. So funny how some people learn everything from the morning paper and the six o'clock news.

I would've thought someone really into the NFL would be quite thoughtful and intelligent- I was wrong.

Kinda sad really

Haha what a fool. Unbelievable. So funny how some people learn everything from the morning paper and the six o'clock news.

I would've thought someone really into the NFL would be quite thoughtful and intelligent- I was wrong.

Kinda sad really

So lets try and figure out what on Earth you are saying. Someone who's into NFL must be thoughtful and intelligent....hmmmm.
Don't get me wrong, some cracking lads on the NFL forum, and glad you think we're all academics, but that line of thought/linkage is dubious at best. Makes no sense.

Thanks for confirming. To be honest, I've got nothing against you. And the MMA crowd really is pretty precious. Myself included in the past, and honestly in the present. But on the other hand I don't feel the need to justify myself to you either, and it would seem attempting to convince you to take up the call... Well as I said, you will die out.

1st point - fair enough, no need to.
2nd point - we all will

I'm not precious I couldnt care less if anyone else likes this sport or not, bag it all they want, but he's clearly wrong about an MMA fighter not being able to touch a top level boxer. The boxer may ko the mma fighter sure, but it's just as if not more likely they'd get put on their back and either get submitted or gnp'd to la la land. I can see the UFC getting popular in Australia frankly I'd prefer it stayed underground if it meant not having to listen to all the ignorant bs that will surface (like this).

I'm not precious I couldnt care less if anyone else likes this sport or not, bag it all they want, but he's clearly wrong about an MMA fighter not being able to touch a top level boxer. The boxer may ko the mma fighter sure, but it's just as if not more likely they'd get put on their back and either get submitted or gnp'd to la la land. I can see the UFC getting popular in Australia frankly I'd prefer it stayed underground if it meant not having to listen to all the ignorant bs that will surface (like this).

It's much more likely. Take any of the best pound for pound boxers in the world (Pacman, Mayweather), and they would be destroyed by any of the top 20 MMA fighters equivalent in weight, likely 95% of the time.

They could NOT stop the takedown, they could NOT stop the GnP, they could NOT stop the submission. We learned this in 1993 and it would be even more decisive now.

Those who compete in MMA are FIGHTERS - boxers are boxers, they lack the necessary skill to be serious FIGHTERS.

So lets try and figure out what on Earth you are saying. Someone who's into NFL must be thoughtful and intelligent....hmmmm.
Don't get me wrong, some cracking lads on the NFL forum, and glad you think we're all academics, but that line of thought/linkage is dubious at best. Makes no sense.
I never used the word 'must'.

My point is someone who has taken the time to learn such a complex sport as gridiron, must have something going on in brain department. I myself love the game, have for the better part of 20 years.

I guess i was wrong.

For what its worth i don't think you or the vast majority of BF posters are 'academics', just the opposite. Academics must research and be reasonable in thought because looking like an ignorant fool is detrimental to their livelihood.

So no, I don't think you are an academic, just someone who poo poos anything they don't understand or like.

p.s. Having someone like you tell me that i make no sense is the height of hypocrisy

So no, I don't think you are an academic, just someone who poo poos anything they don't understand or like.

There's a few sports I don't like e.g Rugby, basketball but I have never and will not "poo poo" on here ...or criticise.

I'm not an expert in these sports but watch them very briefly from time to time. But I do not feel compelled enough to go onto forums and whack them.

From the same brief time that i've seen MMA, I felt compelled to post in "UFC for Melbourne" thread because from what I saw it was the biggest pile of s**t i've ever seen under the guise of sport (barring figure skating).
Horrendous, horrific, guttural, animalistic were other words that came to mind. i.e ****ed if I want it coming to Melbourne, enough violence around.
Just my opinion.

So on the NFL forum if i'd read a post that was knocking the game i love, i'd just move on.

p.s. Having someone like you tell me that i make no sense is the height of hypocrisy

Ditto

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you're basically saying you don't approve of MMA beause of a moral objection.

I'm basically saying we don't care what you winkerly old nanna napping wowsers think. It's here, it's staying, and when your children finally put your fossilised arses in the ground there will be no one left to oppose us.

Then we will take over the world......... Mwhahahahahaha.

From the same brief time that i've seen MMA ... it was the biggest pile of s**t i've ever seen under the guise of sport (barring figure skating).
Horrendous, horrific, guttural, animalistic were other words that came to mind.
Just a suggestion, but perhaps you could watch a little more Mixed Martial Arts before setting your opinion in stone. But yes, it is probably easier to just dismiss something I guess. Your loss.

It would be like someone watching 10 minutes of the average NFL game and then forever black banning it because they thought it was boring and lacking skill. How much of the tactics, subtlety or nuances do you think a viewer could get in watching 10 minutes of NFL?

Same goes with MMA. Maybe think about that.

i.e ****ed if I want it coming to Melbourne, enough violence around.
Just my opinion.

So you'd think the same of the Formula One coming to Melbourne right? OBVIOUSLY (following the same line of brilliant logic you seem to be using) due to the fact hat it promotes driving at extreme speeds and hooning?

Since when does MMA make people more violent? You couldn't find a happier bunch of people after the event at Acer Arena. Zero scuffles, zero bad behaviour, you'd find a worse behaved crowd at the lawn bowls FFS.

But no, don't let your mind be made up by hard fact, I'm sure you have much better means to judge. The brief, and only time you've seen some MMA on TV in the form of the UFC.

That's it. Can't possible have a UFC in Melbourne.

manny pacquiao would not need to learn "ground skills" or wrestling for that matter because he would destroy these guys within the first round, as would most quality boxers.

None of these guys would be national class boxers or wrestlers.

Boxers skill level >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ufc skill level.

P.s of course the size of these blokes would trouble smaller boxers

lol.

I still can't believe someone is trying to make the argument a boxer would beat an MMA fighter, just wouldn't happen. The MMA fighter would not get into a striking match with the boxer, just shoot, take em down and from there they've got a hundred ways to finish the fight.

Boxers don't learn take down defence, this is the critical thing here. Chuck Liddell was a great MMA fighter who was pretty much a striker, but the reason he could stand up all the time was because he had great takedown defence. I think a few boxers would fancy themselves to fight like Chuck but there's a lot more to what he did than just the big overhand right.

(And Chuck did have ju jitsu skills as well, he just preferred to knock guys out!)

:thumbsu:

and how many long term head injuries/ early deaths have come out of the NFL............. more than the UFC!!!!!

yet you don't hear people whinge about the sport........... same as boxing, less blood and 'brutality' yet due to the fact that one can keep getting up after being knocked down, you will find the head trauma that results far worse than the UFC (see Ali)......

I still can't believe someone is trying to make the argument a boxer would beat an MMA fighter, just wouldn't happen. The MMA fighter would not get into a striking match with the boxer, just shoot, take em down and from there they've got a hundred ways to finish the fight.

Boxers don't learn take down defence, this is the critical thing here. Chuck Liddell was a great MMA fighter who was pretty much a striker, but the reason he could stand up all the time was because he had great takedown defence. I think a few boxers would fancy themselves to fight like Chuck but there's a lot more to what he did than just the big overhand right.

(And Chuck did have ju jitsu skills as well, he just preferred to knock guys out!)

yeah its no argument really, stand up only the boxer would win, unless it was a really good kick boxer which might make it a bit more even...................... MMA fight the MMA guy would win, as they would be taken straight to the ground.

James Toney has just signed a multiple fight deal with the UFC so we'll soon see how a boxer stacks up against an MMA fighter. I suspect he will be fed a couple of stand up guys like a Kimbo or Kongo to build hype then he will be decimated by a well rounded guy like a Velasquez, Carwin or Mir.

Kimbo Slice has already fought a much better boxer in Ray Mercer. And absolutely schooled him with the takedown and won with a guilotine 1:12 into the first round. Yes you read right, Kimbo Slice could take him down.

Toney is a money grab or a 'dana statement' to show how much MMA in terms of fighting has taken over boxing. It's pretty much a freak show.

If he's concerned about PPV's and using toney for $$$ (probably) then he'll give toney the easiest fight he can - kimbo, matt mitrone, McSweeney, Jon Madsen, or Al Turk, hell even rolles gracie...

If he's gonna make a statement that MMA fighters > Boxers, he'll give him a veteran or a bad matchup like Duffee, Gonzaga, Cro Cop or Pat Berry

There's a few sports I don't like e.g Rugby, basketball but I have never and will not "poo poo" on here ...or criticise.

I'm not an expert in these sports but watch them very briefly from time to time. But I do not feel compelled enough to go onto forums and whack them.

From the same brief time that i've seen MMA, I felt compelled to post in "UFC for Melbourne" thread because from what I saw it was the biggest pile of s**t i've ever seen under the guise of sport (barring figure skating).
Horrendous, horrific, guttural, animalistic were other words that came to mind. i.e ****ed if I want it coming to Melbourne, enough violence around.
Just my opinion.

So on the NFL forum if i'd read a post that was knocking the game i love, i'd just move on.

your ignorance......4 stars:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back