Play Nice North Melbourne - 2018 and beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

LDU has speed.
More of a sharp cruising type than Atley quick, similar to Ahern or even a young Daniel Wells, although this is just based off training reports.
Can you afford Cunnington to play forward? Hartung can run but he is really more of a Gibson replacement. Who are you hoping to inject into the middle who has pace?
Ahern off hb/wing, Josh Williams off the wing/hb (isn’t best 22 quite yet), LDU, Simpkin has been training with the mids a little bit and Atley has been training at half-forward pushing into the midfield during match simulations. Depth wise, North have Mountford, Morgan, Narrier up forward, Murphy and Hayden (a few rate him due to his sheer pace, hardness as an inside mid and being built like a brick s**t-house, despite being taken late in the draft and is still a tad raw) to rotate into the midfield.

North still need a bit more in the midfield in terms of class and pace, but the building blocks are there at least.

Last edited:

Can you afford Cunnington to play forward? Hartung can run but he is really more of a Gibson replacement. Who are you hoping to inject into the middle who has pace?
Strictly speaking no. But this being a development year giving more experience in middle to McDonald, Simpkin, Garner, LDU, Mountford etc would be beneficial in the long term.

Also Dangerfield and Martins had such an impact playing forward that I think it will start a trend. Especially in the era of capped interchange. North need to have more scoring contributions that aren't brown and Waite. Both Cunnington and Zeibel have kicked 4 goals in a game so have the ability.

Strictly speaking no. But this being a development year giving more experience in middle to McDonald, Simpkin, Garner, LDU, Mountford etc would be beneficial in the long term.

Also Dangerfield and Martins had such an impact playing forward that I think it will start a trend. Especially in the era of capped interchange. North need to have more scoring contributions that aren't brown and Waite. Both Cunnington and Zeibel have kicked 4 goals in a game so have the ability.

Hopefully Brad will have the brains to give Wood the opportunity to become second banana rather than going full steam with Brown and 5 game stretch Waite.

Waite in a floating role from round 2 as Wood and a couple of the bigger young defenders development are priority 1 if this side will rise significantly in 2019.

The pieces are there (could do with another A grade midfielder like every side) but they also need to find a balance between development and what will be a desperate coach in uncharted territory.

A tough midfield with Higgins and a powerful forward line can go a fair way.

It's more the cultural decline of choking, travelling poorly, round 1 failure, injuries, slow development and excuses that'll prevent them from stepping up. TBH you'd be guessing if you thought the management and coaching staff are on the same page and wouldn't surprise many if there wasn't much of a plan at all.

Exactly this isn't a unique situation, just a typical rebuild. Will it end in sunshine like the Bulldogs in 2016 or be prolonged like Cartlon for most of the 21st century? Probably somewhere in between. Pretty sure it won't be as gut-wrenching as Melbourne's rebuild though as we still have some capable older players.

Only thing I quibble with is your assessment that we missed out on good players in trade/FA. It's true we did miss out on the likes of Rockcliff, Lever, Lang etc but I'd prefer another bottom 4 year than finishing mid table yet again as would've been likely with an influx of those types of players.

As you said the aim should be to construct a GF winning team. We overachieved from 2014-6 (under in 2013) and didn't have the star power of your mob and the Bulldogs to get over the hump. But getting and developing the likes of Martin, Bontempelli, etc is no easy task. The typical way being to suck and nail/get lucky with early draft picks (I must be a genius too :p).

Pretty much agree. And you are a genius ;)

What I was talking about in terms of those good middle ranking FAs is that they can fast track your rebuild. Guys like Houli both fill in a hole, and provide "instant" leadership and maturity. And they do it without compromising your first round (and often second round) drafting.

The problem with the superstar trade/FA is that you could easily end up like Carlton and Judd. Kept the Blues good for several years, but ended up hollowing out the team without tasting genuine success. But I'm confident that someone will do the superstar trade and will win a GF through it. Just a low probably shot I reckon.

Good points, especially on the structuring point. North looked at only kpd’s and general defenders in the 2014 draft and predominantly looked at midfielders in the last draft. I feel the midfield and secondary kpf areas need that extra work. This and next year’s drafts are important in getting that higher level talent, especially in the trouble areas.

It's always the thing isn't it. Get those early picks right and so much looks after itself. North have a basis of a decent team, like all 18 AFL clubs. It's getting talent into those weak points that'll make the long term difference. Good luck.

In a couple of years I can see Cunnington play more forward, but at the moment I don’t think you can afford to take him away from the middle. He’ll be important to attract attention away from the the younger guys whilst they improve their running and increase muscle.

Play Ziebell up forward. Kicked 5 against the Pies and was a strong marking presence up forward.

He is actually a forward playing out of position.

In a couple of years I can see Cunnington play more forward, but at the moment I don’t think you can afford to take him away from the middle. He’ll be important to attract attention away from the the younger guys whilst they improve their running and increase muscle.
You're probably right in hindsight the first priority should be to be competitive in the midfield.

Pretty much agree. And you are a genius ;)

What I was talking about in terms of those good middle ranking FAs is that they can fast track your rebuild. Guys like Houli both fill in a hole, and provide "instant" leadership and maturity. And they do it without compromising your first round (and often second round) drafting.

The problem with the superstar trade/FA is that you could easily end up like Carlton and Judd. Kept the Blues good for several years, but ended up hollowing out the team without tasting genuine success. But I'm confident that someone will do the superstar trade and will win a GF through it. Just a low probably shot I reckon.
Great point Richmond were first class in identifying areas of weakness and finding quality players that didn't break the bank like the aforementioned houli plus Nankervis, Townsend, Grigg, Caddy and Prestia. Ironically the only player who unfortunately backfired (Yarran) was the you invested the most in.

As you said there are definitely players who are written off too early, played out of position, undervalued and/or can't get the body right until they do who relish another fresh start. Hopefully the likes of Marley Williams, Ahern and Ben Jacobs can be examples of that and we can target some more successfully.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great point Richmond were first class in identifying areas of weakness and finding quality players that didn't break the bank like the aforementioned houli plus Nankervis, Townsend, Grigg, Caddy and Prestia. Ironically the only player who unfortunately backfired (Yarran) was the you invested the most in.

As you said there are definitely players who are written off too early, played out of position, undervalued and/or can't get the body right until they do who relish another fresh start. Hopefully the likes of Marley Williams, Ahern and Ben Jacobs can be examples of that and we can target some more successfully.

Don’t praise us too highly for every Grigg and Houli there was a Matt Thomas, Shaun Hampson, Taylor Hunt and like you said Yarren
Finding those diamonds in the rough can be very hit and miss and the fact is more than likely most wont work out in the long term
Just got to trust in the club and ride the roller coaster

Was looking forward to seeing their kids play last night.

LDU looks promising.
Clarke got a bit of the ball as well.

Coach Scott was right though- Waite is still very much best 22 for the Kangas.

Anyone talking of Tasmanian relocation is simply thinking wishfully. As I've said many times before, if we couldn't be relocated in 2007 when we were actually a financial basket case, there's zero chance of it happening now that we're doing well off-field.

Most people forgot how bad our facilities, our debt, etc. were just a decade ago. To be where we are now, and the surprising growth that the club is showing, is nothing short of incredible.
best run club ever

best run club ever

Probably would be up there. It's hard to run a football department as lean as North/St Kilda/Bulldogs. In at least 2013, we were spending over $5 million less than the richest clubs in our football department, and we played prelims in 2014 and 2015. From memory, North in '99 were one of the lowest spenders in the football department and won the flag. I assume the Bulldogs would have been similar in 2016. Very impressive.

it certainly looks like a tough year or two ahead. but the club is a proud club with a history of building success.

I have no doubt that the club will capitalise on early draft picks and in a couple of years put the icing on the cake with FA

2005 posts in 11 years and he has just peeled off 4 in a row.

How long have you had this account lying dormant?

Bit rich of you to talk about multiple accounts, Teffy.

You've got to learn to pick your battles.

It'll be interesting to see if they can attract free agents that aren't just looking to extend their football careers for a year or two after being given the shove from their former club once they're back up the right half of the ladder.
Going by North’s FA history, I doubt it. With the exception of Dal, North have gotten plenty of years out of Higgins and Waite. I expect the younger FA’s to be targeted to keep in balance with the list in 2-3 years time.

It’ll be easier to attract the better fa’s when we are back pushing up the ladder, but aren’t at our full peak in terms of the traditional list cycle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back