Traded North's Luke Delaney to Saints for pick 77.

Remove this Banner Ad

Not quite. Pretty sure we wouldn't have let Dal Santo walk if we hadn't been getting Delaney so cheaply, so we effectively got pick 25 and Delaney for Dal.

Of course the FA departure of Dal Santo was more than likely linked, but I was looking at this trade in isolation.

Hope Delaney shines at the saints. In games terms he is younger than when KPDs peak. I think with an extended run he could really become a top one on one FB. Just wasn't afforded that luxury with NM. Scott Thompson had many WTF moments in his first 50 odd games and with persistence has become elite. Good luck to Delaney and the Saints

Nice addition especially for a pick that won't be used. Although some short term pain is in our future, out attack of this trade period has been excellent. Taking control and building for the future unlike the Dees who seem to think they can contend next year...

Hope Delaney shines at the saints. In games terms he is younger than when KPDs peak. I think with an extended run he could really become a top one on one FB. Just wasn't afforded that luxury with NM. Scott Thompson had many WTF moments in his first 50 odd games and with persistence has become elite. Good luck to Delaney and the Saints

Such a loosely used verb..

Nice addition especially for a pick that won't be used. Although some short term pain is in our future, out attack of this trade period has been excellent. Taking control and building for the future unlike the Dees who seem to think they can contend next year...
I'm happy with what we're doing but I don't see the need to have a go at Melbourne there. Nor do I agree with you on them. Their midfield has been basically nonexistent over the last couple of years so bringing in experienced midfielders was absolutely essential. If they had of brought in just Tyson and Michie, the problem would not have been fixed at all. It would have just been more young midfielders lacking leaders. Bringing in Vince and especially Cross will hopefully significantly improve the likes of Viney, Toumpas, Jones, Michie, Dyson and whoever they bring in with pick 9. It will also allow Jones to share the load rather than carry it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who do you think will play FB for St Kilda ahead of Delaney?

More importantly, with Delaney leaving for greater opportunities, do you think he would have swapped clubs purely to bide his time at VFL level with his new club?

Make no mistake about it, Delaney walks into St Kilda's best side at full back.

Will hopefully form a nice little partnership with Josh Bruce at CHB.

Who do you think will play FB for St Kilda ahead of Delaney?

More importantly, with Delaney leaving for greater opportunities, do you think he would have swapped clubs purely to bide his time at VFL level with his new club?

Make no mistake about it, Delaney walks into St Kilda's best side at full back.

Says more about where the Saints are at than anything meaningful about Delaney who's proven to be just afl standard at best.

So every all australian in that associated position is elite?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk
no but considering his last 2 years its safe to say he is in the top couple full backs in the league. Id consider him in the elite bracket of current full backs

no but considering his last 2 years its safe to say he is in the top couple full backs in the league. Id consider him in the elite bracket of current full backs
I can see your point of view, although, will he go down as one of the all time greats or elite? Should we consider footballers who play afl "elite", considering the small amount of players currently playing as opposed to those who play aussie rules? What if someone has a 40 possy game and kicks a couple of snaggers, once, are they currently elite?
I guess it comes down to perception and context....this really is an English lesson.

Which points out why the 'free' agency in the AFL is a tad messed up.

The compo picks work at the moment, because to use the cap space freed up at the moment you usually need to trade for the replacement due to a lack of free agents. As the Free agent pool increases compo picks will be phased out. Personally, I think there is no need for restricted/unrestricted free agency distinction. Pick a number of years, 6,7 or eight after which whenever you're out of contract you're a free agent.

Says more about where the Saints are at than anything meaningful about Delaney who's proven to be just afl standard at best.

That's all well and good. You seem to have completely missed the point.

Delaney isn't moving to St Kilda to be their insurance policy. He left North Melbourne for greater senior opportunities and that's exactly what he'll get at St Kilda.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back