Universal Love Not Boo-ing Goodes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I grew up in a house with a powerful corparate type mother and a union rep member of the labour party father. In my life, gender and race dont matter, what matters is a persons actions.

It irks me that if i want to boo Goodes i am declared a racist, or providing cover for racists.

And if you want to boo him but don't because of his race..... That is racist my friend!

I grew up in a house with a powerful corparate type mother and a union rep member of the labour party father. In my life, gender and race dont matter, what matters is a persons actions.

It irks me that if i want to boo Goodes i am declared a racist, or providing cover for racists.

Gender and race are the least concern to people with privileged upbrinings. I don't mean privileged in a derogatory way.

http://m.huffpost.com/ca/entry/7737466

You have been brought up to value who a person is. With a strong work ethic... etc But how many hurdles are placed in front of you based on race?

Well yeah to a degree you are. If you are directly benefiting through the life you lead it's not to much to ask to be sensitive to the cultures who have been damaged as a result.

I am sensitive to the injustices committed in my country, make no mistake there. I grew up in country SA and learned all about Aboriginal culture in primary school. I learned some of the Pitjantjatjara language, and participated in cultural activities that were taught by the Aboriginal leaders (who were all fantastic people and told great stories BTW).

But that wont stop me from living a full and happy life as I am entitled to as a natural born citizen of Australia.

My Irish ancestors were slaughtered by Oliver Cromwell. Strangely I don't harbor ill feeling towards the poms, other than in a cricketing sense anyway. Like I eluded to earlier, in the history of every nation on the planet similar persecution existed. What should we do about it?

I have not once asserted in this thread that Adam Goodes is a beacon to follow. I have been clear that I am certainly not the #1 ticket holder of the Adam Goodes fan club. But this issue is no longer about Adam Goodes. It has taken on broader meaning (rightly or wrongly) and therefore needs to be stopped.

Sure it needs to stop.
If you have a view on how supporters need to behave then you should also have a view on his behaviour with relation to the racial vilification laws of the land.
So again please answer my question and don't continue on the path that this is some sort of a one way street.

You don't reckon he's endured more discrimination and racism throughout his life?

The act of booing by sporting fans is not, and has never been, associated with systemic discrimination or oppression. It happens to players of all races, creeds, backgrounds, beliefs and religions.

The argument you're running is no better than saying shirtfronting an Aboriginal player is racist.

Booing an athlete has never, ever been associated with racial discrimination. There is no historical precedent, and it must be tough that you can't seem to manufacture one no matter how hard you try.

My Irish ancestors were slaughtered by Oliver Cromwell. Strangely I don't harbor ill feeling towards the poms, other than in a cricketing sense anyway. Like I eluded to earlier, in the history of every nation on the planet similar persecution existed. What should we do about it?
You are now talking 1500's. Goodes' grand parents may have been alive when the last slaughter of Aboriginal people occurred.... And his parents were alive to witness the stolen generation. A bit different in the context of history.

Sure it needs to stop.
If you have a view on how supporters need to behave then you should also have a view on his behaviour with relation to the racial vilification laws of the land.
So again please answer my question and don't continue on the path that this is some sort of a one way street.
Thanks for telling me what topics I must have a view on. Haven't read the racial vilification laws. In fact, I haven't read most of the laws of Australia.

You are now talking 1500's. Goodes' grand parents may have been alive when the last slaughter of Aboriginal people occurred.... And his parents were alive to witness the stolen generation. A bit different in the context of history.
How many of his family were around on 'Invasion Day'

I think ive found a solution.

Instead of booing how about we shout

"ADAMGOODESISRESPECTTHATYOUWANTTOCHAMPIONTHECAUSEOFYOURPEOPLEANDIMTOTALLYNOTRACISTTHEONLYCOLOURSTHATMATTERTOMEARETHEONESONYOURJUMPERBUTIDONTLIKEYOUBECAUSEYOUALWAYSWANTFREESANDCALLEDMEARACISTBECAUSEOFTHECOLOUROFMYSKINANDITHINKYOUHAVEABADATTITOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your prescence on this board, your constant bullshit attitude and your extremely poor choice of board name offends me. Welcome to the ignore button. You won't be missed.

FWIW - taking offense at a name is really a choice you're making for yourself. Only if you consider him a deliberate troll would you jump to any negative conclusions on his name.
I've had some chats with Chester on the side, given some of the reports and concerns, and I don't believe he is a troll. We've had some good robust discussion on a couple of points and I think like MANY who come here for the first time he's just adjusting to the culture here as opposed to thinking he can just say what he wants and peoples sensibilities be damned.
By all means ignore him if you wish. By all means report inappropriate behaviour.
But can we stop making massive assumptions about people and then extrapolating that to a negative extreme. (that's kinda on topic I guess... ;) )

Turning the whole Goodes argument into a racist one is easy and a product of political correctness. I accept all points of view on this issue as only each individual who has booed Goodes knows why they did it. My main concern is whether it will flow on from Goodes and will all booing against indigenous Australians be labeled racist. Port fans boo Burgoyne religiously, will they be accused of racism? The argument can be made they should because white players change clubs all the time. The point im saying is anything can be turned into racist issues if you want to even when they shouldnt. I know plenty of indigenous fans who go to games and swear at white players. Is that racist? The racism card is played way to much on too many issues.

Re Invasion Day, I've got no problem with changing the date of Australia Day from 26/1 to another day with a shared positive symbolism for all Australians (anglo, aboriginal, and every other Australian!) just to stop the divisiveness of Invasion Day rhetoric.

Any ideas? Prob not New Years but something else?
I'm open to this. Summer seems fitting though, December already has Christmas and the build up. Early feb or mid Jan would be my choice. Jan 14th? Fits nicely with valentines on Feb 14th and my wedding anniversary/steak and BJ day on Mar 14th.

Thanks for telling me what topics I must have a view on. Haven't read the racial vilification laws. In fact, I haven't read most of the laws of Australia.

I haven't told you what topics you must have a view on, I've simply asked your view on this....there is a big difference.

In any case I scene that you are happy to share your views on supporters and hold them to account over booing but not the actions of Adam and yet you have a view that the booing is racist but then you say you haven't read the racial vilification laws.....very odd and strange statements.

I'm open to this. Summer seems fitting though, December already has Christmas and the build up. Early feb or mid Jan would be my choice. Jan 14th? Fits nicely with valentines on Feb 14th and my wedding anniversary/steak and BJ day on Mar 14th.

I disagree with any change because I do not think the issues brought forward by Indigenous Australians will magically disappear.

FWIW - taking offense at a name is really a choice you're making for yourself. Only if you consider him a deliberate troll would you jump to any negative conclusions on his name.
I've had some chats with Chester on the side, given some of the reports and concerns, and I don't believe he is a troll. We've had some good robust discussion on a couple of points and I think like MANY who come here for the first time he's just adjusting to the culture here as opposed to thinking he can just say what he wants and peoples sensibilities be damned.
By all means ignore him if you wish. By all means report inappropriate behaviour.
But can we stop making massive assumptions about people and then extrapolating that to a negative extreme. (that's kinda on topic I guess... ;) )
wait where is this message? I'd like to know what I've said to upset this chap so much...

Way to miss the point entirely.

Winmar lifted his jumper as a response to racism and is celebrated for it. Long works to promote indigenous issues and is celebrated for it. Goodes pointed a finger at a 14 year old girl and told me im a racist. Hes never met me. Hes making a judgement entirley based on my skin colour.

FFS indeed.

Here's my unpopular opinion. On the spectrum of reasonableness and how people carry themselves when it comes to these kinds of issues, Goodes stands halfway between the centre and Anthony Mundine. He certainly wouldn't be alone and every issue needs people placed across the entire spectrum, but he's halfway to being a complete flog. Probably near where Heretier Lamamba resides.

Here's my unpopular opinion. On the spectrum of reasonableness and how people carry themselves when it comes to these kinds of issues, Goodes stands halfway between the centre and Anthony Mundine. He certainly wouldn't be alone and every issue needs people placed across the entire spectrum, but he's halfway to being a complete flog. Probably near where Heretier Lamamba resides.
When people are loud and proud it gets under peoples skin but it's often what's needed to generate discussion and address issues. Goodes will be remembered as the greatest social advocate the game has ever seen.

I haven't told you what topics you must have a view on, I've simply asked your view on this....there is a big difference.

In any case I scene that you are happy to share your views on supporters and hold them to account over booing but not the actions of Adam and yet you have a view that the booing is racist but then you say you haven't read the racial vilification laws.....very odd and strange statements.
I sense you haven't read my posts and are inferring what you want to.

Your prescence on this board, your constant bullshit attitude and your extremely poor choice of board name offends me. Welcome to the ignore button. You won't be missed.

I honestly think this is an example of how people with narrow minded views just shut down when confronted. It's honestly like it's all too much to process so they have no choice but to lash out. Thanks for the insight though.

And what is wrong with my name?

found it... don't ban him.. is a tough issue to confront people with...

What is with my name though, is it because of PW?

I think it's time everyone in the world started heeding the words of those wise sages... Bill and Ted:

smiles.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back