Universal Love Not Boo-ing Goodes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
But we are racist. Of course we are.

When I say "there were a group of Aboriginals in the park" - what do you think of?

If I say "my Aboriginal friend had a drinking problem" - what do you think of?

What about "the Aboriginal in front me was here to collect their welfare payment" - does your mind jump to a stereotype?

Look at those two sentences and replace the race bit with a different race - see if changes your thoughts.

We pre-judge based on race all the time.

When I say "there were a group of Aboriginals in the park" - what do you think of? - A group of Aboriginals in the park. See it everyday. What's the big deal. I only considered their colour because you said that they are Aboriginal.

If I say "my Aboriginal friend had a drinking problem" - what do you think of? - An Aboriginal with a drinking problem, no different to a white person with a drinking problem. But statistically more likely, at least where I live, to also be the person in your 3rd question.

I really can't understand what point you are getting across here. What's the stereotype? I have been in the Centrelink here for work reasons and I can tell you there is no stereotype at all. Community folk, Elders, homeless, well dressed young people, well dressed older people, cowboys, white, brown, black. I almost get the feeling that half the people that reach for this moral high ground have never really had much cohabitation with their indigineous cousins. It's effing boring to be honest.

Similar to Mundine?
the thing with Mundine is he's all talk and not so much action... Goodes is a genuine advocate for Aboriginal issues and actually promotes the cause he works with young people every day. He wasn't made Australian of the Year lightly.

But we are racist. Of course we are.

When I say "there were a group of Aboriginals in the park" - what do you think of?

If I say "my Aboriginal friend had a drinking problem" - what do you think of?

What about "the Aboriginal in front me was here to collect their welfare payment" - does your mind jump to a stereotype?

Look at those two sentences and replace the race bit with a different race - see if changes your thoughts.

We pre-judge based on race all the time.

Actually the main thing I took from the post was where was he collecting his welfare payment?

Don't payments get put into bank accounts directly?

Can you still get a check? Cash?

So many questions

I haven't read all the posters comments but I don't understand why the booing is automatically defined as racist. I would say that there are nearly 100 indigenous players in the AFL. If the booing is racist then why isn't every other aboriginal player being booed. I believe supporters don't like Goodes because of his actions on the field. Many have stated that he plays a dirty game. So I don't really believe that this is racist. I believe its all about the man himself. It almost sounds like what happens in the USA. If the police arrest a negro straight away the copper is accused of making the arrest because the offender is black.

How many times do supporters boo the umpires at the end of the game. Heaven forbid the uproar if one of the umpires was aboriginal.

Whilst I am sure that there are those that jump on the bandwagon because Goodes is aboriginal I certainly do no believe that the majority are booing him for racist reasons. Hell if we are racist then lets start booing Eddie and Charlie and CEY. No way.....in fact us AFC supporters idolise Eddie and Charlie is starting to get the same level of adoration.

I haven't read all the posters comments but I don't understand why the booing is automatically defined as racist. I would say that there are nearly 100 indigenous players in the AFL. If the booing is racist then why isn't every other aboriginal player being booed. I believe supporters don't like Goodes because of his actions on the field. Many have stated that he plays a dirty game. So I don't really believe that this is racist. I believe its all about the man himself. It almost sounds like what happens in the USA. If the police arrest a negro straight away the copper is accused of making the arrest because the offender is black.

How many times do supporters boo the umpires at the end of the game. Heaven forbid the uproar if one of the umpires was aboriginal.

Whilst I am sure that there are those that jump on the bandwagon because Goodes is aboriginal I certainly do no believe that the majority are booing him for racist reasons. Hell if we are racist then lets start booing Eddie and Charlie and CEY. No way.....in fact us AFC supporters idolise Eddie and Charlie is starting to get the same level of adoration.
No offence but that does your intellect's reputation no favours. Would you like it explained to you?

Looks like Goodes is now going to be taking time off to deal with this. It's clearly impacting him, his team mates, his family. It's gone way too far.

You've completely missed the point and tried to reduce a complex issue in to a very simple one. Try again.

I disagree with any change because I do not think the issues brought forward by Indigenous Australians will magically disappear.
Magically disappear - no.
Will a conversation on moving it show a spitir of reconciliation and hopefully drive some of the other required behaviour and outcomes - possibly.
Is it worth it? I believe so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm open to this. Summer seems fitting though, December already has Christmas and the build up. Early feb or mid Jan would be my choice. Jan 14th? Fits nicely with valentines on Feb 14th and my wedding anniversary/steak and BJ day on Mar 14th.

It would be January 1, right? The day we actually BECAME a nation?

When I say "there were a group of Aboriginals in the park" - what do you think of? - A group of Aboriginals in the park. See it everyday. What's the big deal. I only considered their colour because you said that they are Aboriginal.

If I say "my Aboriginal friend had a drinking problem" - what do you think of? - An Aboriginal with a drinking problem, no different to a white person with a drinking problem. But statistically more likely, at least where I live, to also be the person in your 3rd question.

I really can't understand what point you are getting across here. What's the stereotype? I have been in the Centrelink here for work reasons and I can tell you there is no stereotype at all. Community folk, Elders, homeless, well dressed young people, well dressed older people, cowboys, white, brown, black. I almost get the feeling that half the people that reach for this moral high ground have never really had much cohabitation with their indigineous cousins. It's effing boring to be honest.
OK - why do you think I framed those questions that way? What do you think most Australians would think of? Can you make the enormous mental leap or not? One thing I will agree with is that most people do not have much experience with Aboriginal people ... and from the unknown the gaps get filled with what they hear on the radio or see on ACA.

As far as it being boring - well no-one is forcing you to read or comment on this thread mate ... Lever was the rising star, plenty of less boring stuff on that thread!

Also, why wouldn't you want to reach for the moral high ground? What is the alternative - accept the moral low-ground? Or do you believe everyone is on the same moral plateau?

I noticed this article summed up most of the "reasons" for booing Goodes quite well:

http://www.pressreader.com/australia/herald-sun/20150728/283137132492468/TextView

Looks like Goodes is now going to be taking time off to deal with this. It's clearly impacting him, his team mates, his family. It's gone way too far.

You've completely missed the point and tried to reduce a complex issue in to a very simple one. Try again.

Sometimes the answer is very simple. Perhaps you can explain to me why people boo him and not the other aborigines.

Similar to Mundine?

No.

Mundine has had clear financial self-interest beneath many of his controversial statements. While he may have occasionally been speaking for those in his race without a voice, often he was speaking to just generate controversy and column inches.

Goodes has had no self-interest beneath any of his comments. You might disagree with him, but clearly his statements are genuine and deeply felt.

the thing with Mundine is he's all talk and not so much action... Goodes is a genuine advocate for Aboriginal issues and actually promotes the cause he works with young people every day. He wasn't made Australian of the Year lightly.

The Mundine family has done a lot in NSW, but Anthony not so much.

Sometimes the answer is very simple. Perhaps you can explain to me why people boo him and not the other aborigines.

Which of the other aboriginal footballers have been as outspoken around indigenous issues as Goodes?

People boo because he's "uppity", which is obviously racist.

I hope we dont boo goodsey lets be better than that. Booing someone like a pack of sheep when you wouldn't do it to their face by yourself is cowardly. If the booing isn't racist then its bullying and we should be stamping that s**t out nowadays.
And in the age of free agents we'd be a smart club to not boo anyone to put them off coming here down the track... and I think it just spurs most great players on to play with anger.

Who do you think is more likely to lure Jetta now? Freo or West Coast?

No offence but that does your intellect's reputation no favours. Would you like it explained to you?

I wasn't aware that I had a reputation especially a intellectual one.
I must admit that I might be a little naïve but I don't believe that its all about racism. As I said I am sure that there are some racists in the crowd but I do believe its more about Goodes actions. Perhaps if someone can explain why one aboriginal player is being booed and rest aren't I might change my opinion.

Because Goodes has spoken publicly about indigenous disadvantage and challenged Australian society to do something about it. A brown skinned man challenging white hegemony is a red rag to millions of angry, scared and undereducated Australians.

He gets booed because whitey thinks Goodes needs to Know His Place.

This is not a very difficult phenomenon to understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back