Universal Love Not Boo-ing Goodes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly, Aboriginals were never going to be able to live their lifes in Australia without anyone else rocking up. They could never escape the growing world. If it wasnt the English it would have been the Dutch. If not the Dutch then the Spanish. If not the Spanish then the Japanese, as you rightly say.
So we are where we are. Along the way there has been terrible treatment of Aboriginals. They have been treated terribly by the English. Unacceptable treatment. I am a Liberterian. What happened to Aboriginals, as well as other natives around the world, served to help mould my views of the dangers of governments and the importance of individual rights.
While you may think I am hard hearted, thats not actually the case.
There are certain realities in this world. Life is short and you only have a little time to make the most of it. You cannot rely on anyone other than yourself.
At this point in our country, Aboriginals are no longer oppressed (thankfully) and they have the opportunity to make the best lifes they can. When you have an Aboriginal that has no education or trade by which to get a job, and he sees white people with jobs and wealth the last thing he needs is some white people telling him that its not his fault, that all his woes are the result of the racist white culture here. All that does is cement in his mind the victim mentality. It does nothing to help him. It doesnt get him a job. It doesnt help feed his family. It makes him less likely to push his children to do better. All he will do is instill in the childrens minds that this country is racist and they have no chance to do well because the evil white guy will pull him down.
It just continues the cycle. Those white appologists just cause more harm and are somewhat to blame when things dont change.
As I said, life is short. You need to grab it with both hands. You need to take advantage of the opportunities and look forward. Looking back only holds you back.
When the Aboriginal communities decide they want their kids to have what they didnt, and they push them to learn and get the skills required to flourish they will see the way out of the welfare, poverty and deprived lifes alot lead.
This can only happen when they embrace what is offered.
There is this myth of "white privilege". Its not white, its money.
Who do you think will have more privilege and opportunity in life, my child or Jay Z and Beyonces child? My child or Obamas children? What is it that beings this "privilege? Its money. Its having parents who are sucessful paving the way for you.
Whos gonna have more privilege and opportunity, my child or a Shahin child?
Whos gonna have more, my child or a poor Aboriginals child? Buddy Franklins child or a child from two broke arse unemployed druggies from Daveron Park?
Its all about money.

Governments can only do so much. The amount of money that has been put into Aboriginal affairs is massive. About 15 years ago there was an article that added up all the money put into Aboriginal affairs from both Federal and State governments. It worked out to be $500,000 per year, per Aboriginal. And what has changed? What results have been achieved?
The government cant take their children away and force them to go to school. That would just be another stolen generation.
Thats because the government cant fix the problems. It can only happen from within.
Bit hard to get ahead when a significant part of the population thinks it is ok to call you an ape, an even bigger part of the population gets antsy if you complain about it.

Bit hard to get ahead when a significant part of the population thinks it is ok to call you an ape, an even bigger part of the population gets antsy if you complain about it.
Be serious here. How often do you think an Aboriginal walking the streets and living in suburbia would be randomly called names? I guarentee you more white people are assualted and attacked by blacks than the other way around.
There are realities in life. God helps those that help themselves. And if you want more than you have today, you are going to do more than you did before.

Boo-Hoo. What a sook. I am not racist but seriously toughen up Princess. Didn't your parents ever teach you the answer to a taunt.

"Sticks and Stone may break my bones but names will never hurt me."

I live in an area with a high aboriginal population and I would suggest aboriginal people are in general far more racist toward white people than the other way around. This is just a case of the minority making a big noise.

Boo-Hoo. What a sook. I am not racist but seriously toughen up Princess. Didn't your parents ever teach you the answer to a taunt.

I live in an area with a high aboriginal population and I would suggest aboriginal people are in general far more racist toward white people than the other way around. This is just a case of the minority making a big noise.
Ah, you're back.

Let's give this toughen up princess thing a try: you are either racist (but possibly so so stupid you don't realise you are), or else a completely hollowed-out, souless shell of human.

Be serious here. How often do you think an Aboriginal walking the streets and living in suburbia would be randomly called names? I guarentee you more white people are assualted and attacked by blacks than the other way around.
There are realities in life. God helps those that help themselves. And if you want more than you have today, you are going to do more than you did before.
o_O

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the end of the day I think we all want better outcomes for Aboriginal people. We just have different ideas about how to achieve this important goal.

I agree. I think there is a lot of common ground we all share. We just have different beliefs about how things could be achieved.

Firstly, Aboriginals were never going to be able to live their lifes in Australia without anyone else rocking up. They could never escape the growing world. If it wasnt the English it would have been the Dutch. If not the Dutch then the Spanish. If not the Spanish then the Japanese, as you rightly say.
So we are where we are. Along the way there has been terrible treatment of Aboriginals. They have been treated terribly by the English. Unacceptable treatment. I am a Liberterian. What happened to Aboriginals, as well as other natives around the world, served to help mould my views of the dangers of governments and the importance of individual rights.
While you may think I am hard hearted, thats not actually the case.
There are certain realities in this world. Life is short and you only have a little time to make the most of it. You cannot rely on anyone other than yourself.
At this point in our country, Aboriginals are no longer oppressed (thankfully) and they have the opportunity to make the best lifes they can. When you have an Aboriginal that has no education or trade by which to get a job, and he sees white people with jobs and wealth the last thing he needs is some white people telling him that its not his fault, that all his woes are the result of the racist white culture here. All that does is cement in his mind the victim mentality. It does nothing to help him. It doesnt get him a job. It doesnt help feed his family. It makes him less likely to push his children to do better. All he will do is instill in the childrens minds that this country is racist and they have no chance to do well because the evil white guy will pull him down.
It just continues the cycle. Those white appologists just cause more harm and are somewhat to blame when things dont change.
As I said, life is short. You need to grab it with both hands. You need to take advantage of the opportunities and look forward. Looking back only holds you back.
When the Aboriginal communities decide they want their kids to have what they didnt, and they push them to learn and get the skills required to flourish they will see the way out of the welfare, poverty and deprived lifes alot lead.
This can only happen when they embrace what is offered.
There is this myth of "white privilege". Its not white, its money.
Who do you think will have more privilege and opportunity in life, my child or Jay Z and Beyonces child? My child or Obamas children? What is it that beings this "privilege? Its money. Its having parents who are sucessful paving the way for you.
Whos gonna have more privilege and opportunity, my child or a Shahin child?
Whos gonna have more, my child or a poor Aboriginals child? Buddy Franklins child or a child from two broke arse unemployed druggies from Daveron Park?
Its all about money.

Governments can only do so much. The amount of money that has been put into Aboriginal affairs is massive. About 15 years ago there was an article that added up all the money put into Aboriginal affairs from both Federal and State governments. It worked out to be $500,000 per year, per Aboriginal. And what has changed? What results have been achieved?
The government cant take their children away and force them to go to school. That would just be another stolen generation.
Thats because the government cant fix the problems. It can only happen from within.

This is a fantastic post. I agree 100%. How can an Anoriginal kid hope to get anywhere, living in a community town
500 k's from the nearest decent size town where there might be a chance to find work and build there way up. Everyone bangs on about living "on country" but it is a road to nowhere. Big, big conundrum.
It costs the Government $850,000 to build a single basic 3 bed home on a community. You could build 4 easily in a normal town closer to a city. This realisation needs to sink in before change for the better can occur.

Sam Newman is really growing on me. His speech tonight will get him a lot of flak and its polarising but he is one of the smartest people in football

Sam Newman is really growing on me. His speech tonight will get him a lot of flak and its polarising but he is one of the smartest people in football
truly a moral giant of our times

I've tried to refrain from talking on this issue as it seems people are just taking the extreme view at either end of the discussion, but I thought Sam spoke very well tonight and reflected my views quite well. He shouldn't cop flack at all, he discussed the issue in a very balanced manner, trying to accommodate both sides of the extreme views out there.

I've never booed at the footy and never will, but I also believe Goodes whether he intended to or not, has polarised the public with the way he has gone about discussing indigenous issues. He wanted a reaction after the fake spearing incident, and it's clear he thought it would all be in his favour, and wasn't equipped if there were views that didn't agree with the way he went about it. He put a lot of people offside 2 years ago, so this was probably the final straw for some.

I hope the booing stops, but like Sam said, I can understand how it's got to this point.

He's really not. This is a guy that blacked up to impersonate Winmar and likened a Malaysian man to an ape (which cost the network $200K). He's also been sued for defamation, criticized for homophobic comments, and temporarily stood down over his ridiculous stunt with the mannequin. He's proven time and time again that he really is stuck in the past when it comes to most social matters.

He's really not. This is a guy that blacked up to impersonate Winmar and likened a Malaysian man to an ape (which cost the network $200K). He's also been sued for defamation, criticized for homophobic comments, and temporarily stood down over his ridiculous stunt with the mannequin. He's proven time and time again that he really is stuck in the past when it comes to most social matters.
There is his footy show persona and then there is the real sam. He is paid to play up and create controversy. Every now and then the real sam shows through. If you listen to enough radio in melbourne or see him enough occaisionally the real sam comes out.

I couldve been clearer that im not saying hes smart because of his stance on this issue, he is one of the most articulate and eloquent people in football media when he wants to be.

When he is creating controversy to get ratings up, hes fantastic at that too.

I should do a straw poll of all the Aboriginals I pass on my walk as to whether they think Goodes should be booed or not.

I have a feeling none of them could care less about the Bondi billionaire's agenda.

Fair point. I was having lunch a couple of years ago with a friend who was on Gillards constitutional reform group. We were discussing her role and the importance of constitutional recognition. I'm not convinced it will make a difference and that is what we were discussing. A couple of habitual alcoholics walked past on their way to the river and I asked how changing the preamble to the constitution woukd change the lives of those 2 blokes and the many people like them. The highest of ideals can fall apart when confronted by the basic truth of the real problem.

The sad reality of this argument is its been badly hijacked by the political correctness crowd and everyone has lost their minds. Apparently on twitter if you agree with people like Sam Newman you're racist. No ifs or buts just racist. Its like any debate on this issue is shut down with blatant name calling rather then actually debating the issue. I don't know whether its the American anti racism psyche of 'its racism full stop, go away don't talk to me unless you agree' being bred into Aussie Culture. Not everything is black and white when it comes to what's racist or not. 'White man' has certainly had a horrific past when it comes to dealing with different races and cultures however calling the current generation racist and blaming them for issues gone by at the drop of a hat is ludicrous and solves nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back