Mega Thread Official 2012 Draft discussion thread: All drafts complete.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It wasnt just that Scummy decided to leave that my friend got right- he told me how it was going to happen, right down to flying the family up to Sydney the day before- i was watching the news that night and i had chills running down my back with the accuracy of the story- and dont forget that this was told to me 6 months earlier!! Thats all i was saying.
Fair enough, I'm just saying it's probably not the best example of inside knowledge as in this case, it was made quite public.

Not sure it means too much guys, but Todd Viney was standing near me last night at the WAFL match between South Fremantle and Swan Districts. Not too sure who exactly he would have been scoping, or whether he's over taking advantage of this round being stretched over three days, but it seemed odd to be over on a week where the Dees weren't playing here.

It wasnt just that Scummy decided to leave that my friend got right- he told me how it was going to happen, right down to flying the family up to Sydney the day before- i was watching the news that night and i had chills running down my back with the accuracy of the story- and dont forget that this was told to me 6 months earlier!! Thats all i was saying.
Why would he have known that?

Who would have known that?

Jim didn't, Don didn't, Gary didn't.

Not sure it means too much guys, but Todd Viney was standing near me last night at the WAFL match between South Fremantle and Swan Districts. Not too sure who exactly he would have been scoping, or whether he's over taking advantage of this round being stretched over three days, but it seemed odd to be over on a week where the Dees weren't playing here.

Any 17/18yos playing for these sides, or was it mostly mature players?

Good juice mate, thanks... he's part of the recruiting team so it makes sense for him to be checking out the lower leagues.

Yeah - Todd's wholly with the recruiting department this year; I think next year he'll have a senior position elsewhere in the FD though.

That said, if Todd's having a look himself (as the leader of the rec. dep) there must be a guy there we are quite interested in.

Yeah - Todd's wholly with the recruiting department this year; I think next year he'll have a senior position elsewhere in the FD though.

That said, if Todd's having a look himself (as the leader of the rec. dep) there must be a guy there we are quite interested in.
Dayle Garlett...

Dayle Garlett...

Probably the big one, played a great game last night too. Kicked three goals and his third was a cracker on his left, 30m out in the left forward pocket.

The other one who's been touted is Ben Saunders. Medium-sized forward who's leading the goal kicking at the moment from Ashley Hansen, although Saunders has played 6-7 more games than Hansen this season.

Probably the big one, played a great game last night too. Kicked three goals and his third was a cracker on his left, 30m out in the left forward pocket.

The other one who's been touted is Ben Saunders. Medium-sized forward who's leading the goal kicking at the moment from Ashley Hansen, although Saunders has played 6-7 more games than Hansen this season.
I saw him play at Etihad earlier in the year, and he's an absolute jet.

You'd take twenty Garlett disposals over twenty from just about anybody.

Garlett at 13 or even 4 is a strong possibility for us.

We need midfield pace/run and carry - and a small forward. Garlett suits both.
Garlett won't slip to 13. Think the Bulldogs will be desperate for a player of his ilk.

Viney and Garlett/Wines, I think.

We'll see if whoever we don't take is there at 13.

Of course, if we beat Adelaide, we're probably 15th!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another player I'd like to raise is Matthew McDonough.

He's a medium forward, 180 cm tall, but very solidly built and a very strong overhead mark for his size and in contests. He's also nowhere near out of his depth at ground level, either, although ideally he is a marking target. He kicked twelve goals in a two-game stretch (and IIRC kicked two or three in the following game), so he's the type of player that has the knack of finding the footy in the forward line, taking a grab and kicking a goal. I'm not sure on his endurance or ball-winning capabilities, personally, but in saying that I doubt he's the type of player to push up the ground to win the ball and deliver inside 50 anyway. He was also named in the All-Australian forward line, but medium forwards historically aren't 'rated' as highly through the draft.

It seems as if he'll slip through to around the second or third round, and if he's available at pick 45 (or if we acquired a pick in the 30-45 range through a trade), then I'd snap him up in a heartbeat.

Ideally speaking, I'd Pick:
3-Jimmy Toumpas
4-Sam Mayes/Jack Martin
13- Troy Menzel/Oliver Wines
26- Jack Viney
45-???
64- Dan Nicholson

If we were to get Jack Martin I think we have to trade pick four to GWS.

I would prefer Grundy/Wines/Toumpas at three, Wines/Toumpas/Kennedy/Mayes at four, Kennedy ideally at 13 or someone like Oliver Wines, Jack Viney second rounder and Dan Nicholson as rookie elevation.

There's one bloke at 45 I wouldn't mind having a look at. Kane Lambert of the Northern Blues. Apparently he's been tearing it up in the VFL.

Also, if there's another option, I'd like to think I could trade this pick for someone who has talent but can't get games (refer to the other thread though...) One bloke I really really liked on the weekend is Josh Thomas, I thought he played really well and I wouldn't mind going after him... don't know what his contract status is but I'd love to have a bloke who played like he did on Saturday. Did really well.

I really don't like the idea of the mini-draft - if we're giving up pick four we could be getting an equally talented player playing AFL football immediately.

If we wanted a KPF (ie. Hogan) out of the mini-draft, I could understand - because there are no KPF's of his class in this draft.

If we were to get Jack Martin I think we have to trade pick four to GWS.

I would prefer Grundy/Wines/Toumpas at three, Wines/Toumpas/Kennedy/Mayes at four, Kennedy ideally at 13 or someone like Oliver Wines, Jack Viney second rounder and Dan Nicholson as rookie elevation.

There's one bloke at 45 I wouldn't mind having a look at. Kane Lambert of the Northern Blues. Apparently he's been tearing it up in the VFL.

Also, if there's another option, I'd like to think I could trade this pick for someone who has talent but can't get games (refer to the other thread though...) One bloke I really really liked on the weekend is Josh Thomas, I thought he played really well and I wouldn't mind going after him... don't know what his contract status is but I'd love to have a bloke who played like he did on Saturday. Did really well.
I s'pose Jack Martin would want to be touted as top 2 in next years draft if we are going to use pick 4 on him in this years draft. I think that will be the case as he just has all the attributes of a future gun.

I think i'd rather Toumpas over Grundy purely because Jimmy is exactly what we need (an really classy outside mid) If we don't get Martin then I wouldn't mind Grundy but there are a lot of factors that need to be taken into account on whether we will select him. If we chase cloke, we won't pick up Grundy. I know he will be a very good ruckmen and potentially a forward, however we have a lot of depth in our ruck department and I'm not sure if he is required given that Fitzy is showing improvement as is Spencer to a degree and well we're still waiting on Gawn.

I've seen both Wines and Kennedy play, I like both of them. Both contested Midfielders, but do we already have too many of them? Can you play Jones Gysbertz Mckenzie Viney and Either Kennedy or Wines in the same 22. Perhaps as Kennedy can go upforward and kick goals and maybe Mckenzie won't be good enough to get a game at that stage but i guess it allows for depth and some competitiveness . I chose Mayes and Toumpas because they are those quality outside/inside mids with class and great awareness. Mayes has a basketball background likes Pendlbury and his coach has stated that besides his lack of form this year, he still beleives he will be a very good footballer. I also think Wines at 13 would be a great pick because he can play inside and out reminds me of Colin Sylvia but I'm hoping he has more discipline and better luck with injuries.
Kane Lambert seems to ring a bell, although if you could enlighten us on the type of player he is that would be great.

And well, Nicho is a certainty to get upgraded whether it be at 64 or at 80 odd.

I really don't like the idea of the mini-draft - if we're giving up pick four we could be getting an equally talented player playing AFL football immediately.

I'll only be happy with us trading pick 4 to GWS if we can include an under the table "we wont force you to take Viney" deal with it. Of course, then we have to hope Gold Coast won't either, so... i'm with you, i'd prefer to take a good player with pick 4 in this draft.

The only other advantage of getting a 17yo is that they can come and train with us, and play for Casey, in the same way Viney has this year. I'm pretty sure Martin is from WA though, so he would likely want to stay at home until he could play...

There's talk that we're looking pretty closely at Jesse Hogan from W.A with pick 3 (trading for a mini-draft pick).

We've met with him apparently.

This would also provide a way for us to get Viney in the second round - if we can reach a 'handshake' agreement with GWS before the F/S bidding process.

There's talk that we're looking pretty closely at Jesse Hogan from W.A with pick 3 (trading for a mini-draft pick).

We've met with him apparently.

This would also provide a way for us to get Viney in the second round - if we can reach a 'handshake' agreement with GWS before the F/S bidding process.
Problem is that Gold Coast can still bid on Viney. To be honest I'd rather not trade pick 3 or 4 for the mini draft picks. We are going to pick up 2 quality players in this draft with those picks even if one of them is Viney. Trading pick 3 means we probably won't get Toumpas and I would take him any day over Hogan or Martin. And then we will also get a 3rd quality player with pick 13, why wait a year when we can have players playing for us next year.

I'd take Hogan before Toumpas; probably just because he's a KPF.

I don't mind this mini-draft move IF we take a KPF - so Hogan.

GC also are keen on Martin with pick 2.

So GWS would get picks 1, 2 and 3 - and we'd get Viney in the 2nd round.

We need mids though and if Toumpas goes top 2 Grundy who can play kpf will be there. Also making and agreement with gws to not bid on Viney would come under draft tampering laws and I think we have enough investigations at the moment to worry about. Also if it's clear that Viney isn't a top 2 pick and gws or GC bid on him to just force us to take him at pick 3 then that could also come under draft tampering laws.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back