List Mgmt. OFFICIAL: Dangerfield + Pick 50 for Picks 9, 28 and Dean Gore

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know if posted or not but loving the chances of Dangerfield at the cats 2016. Heard on 1116 that Cook made Dangerfield's parents his guest of honor essentially at the Geelong vs Adelaide game back on round 1 this year. He has also come out unwavered by Tex Walker's recent signing stating that he was only focused on the IR series and had no intentions of signing yet. Combining this with the go-home factor has me psyched about or chances of landing him, and would be staggered if he didn't. Come to the Cattery, Dangerfield, and make yourself a Geelong legend!
Would be a massive coup, BUT how many notable AFL footballers have actually come home to Geelong from other teams? I don't count the likes of Brent Grgic or Marcus Drum.

Apparently we didn't.
We took over the last year of his North contract. Total 3 year deal was 'apparently' 1mil.
Hardly a large amount.

In isolation perhaps. When you then sit out the entirety of your first season due to injury, and end your second season looking about as mobile as a three-legged giraffe (which he sometimes resembles), it becomes a bit more of a query.

In isolation perhaps. When you then sit out the entirety of your first season due to injury, and end your second season looking about as mobile as a three-legged giraffe (which he sometimes resembles), it becomes a bit more of a query.
Oh of course. We could say Menzel has been over paid too.

On the topic though, not that I can be stuffed as all the danger stuff is pure speculation. But it's off season.
On the Adelaide board they are suggesting that the crows can just match an offer to Danger and force a trade.

I think there's a very easy way to stop that. And my gut feel is that Geelong are setting up to do it.
Geelong put together a 5 year, 6 million dollar deal with the first year paying say 2.5 mil.

Now Adelaide have to match the offer precisely in regards to terms.
Geelong submit the offer to AFL house. Ken Wood looks at Adelaides books and says "The crows can't fit 2.5mil into the TPP for 2016"
The Crows don't even get a chance to match it.

The only way they could match it is if they are also clearing out to build a war chest for 2016.

It was a gamble that still has a season to playout.

No risk, no reward.

My optimistic brain says we would have been worse off without him, this year, so therefore next year could be identical given the shrouds of mystery surrounding Simpson's back, again.

My cynical brain says we need to recruit the best available ruckman in this years draft. If we become reliant on our speculative rookies to become first class rucks every year then we had better bring in a potato farmer to nurture any future spuds.

Oh wait...

Oh of course. We could say Menzel has been over paid too.

On the topic though, not that I can be stuffed as all the danger stuff is pure speculation. But it's off season.
On the Adelaide board they are suggesting that the crows can just match an offer to Danger and force a trade.

I think there's a very easy way to stop that. And my gut feel is that Geelong are setting up to do it.
Geelong put together a 5 year, 6 million dollar deal with the first year paying say 2.5 mil.

Now Adelaide have to match the offer precisely in regards to terms.
Geelong submit the offer to AFL house. Ken Wood looks at Adelaides books and says "The crows can't fit 2.5mil into the TPP for 2016"
The Crows don't even get a chance to match it.

The only way they could match it is if they are also clearing out to build a war chest for 2016.

I read this a lot but it's technically incorrect as they cant force a trade.

If he accepts a deal from Geelong and Adelaide match it doesnt force a trade as he still has the choice to re-sign with them or enter the draft with a price on his head. Now he probably wouldnt do the latter, but he can.

No doubt Geelong are going to make a big offer, 5 or 6 years I would suspect and huge money (which I am fine with) but the money bit is overrated.
Some clubs would offer more than Geelong (e.g. Melb), if he comes it will be for family and success, not money. The offer, as you say, just needs to be large enough to make it not worth Adelaide to risk matching and for that it's gotta be 1 mil or higher I think

Actually scrap my last post.
I've just read up on it and you don't have to submit TPP estimates until a month after the free agency period.
I actually heard a journo / commentator say that the AFL do look at the other clubs TPP before they show them the rival offer.

That journo actually said, if the AFL know the other club doesn't have room they won't even get to see the offer.
The trade will go through.

Seems he was making it up!
Although jesus, if we did front load 2.5mil the crows would have a hell of a time readjusting contracts in 3 weeks.

Even though Walker is off the radar (meaning they don't have to offer him as much as they would have next year) I believe Sloane (future captain?) and Talia are also out of contract next year, so Crows will have their hands full if they don't act quick and are bound to lose at least 1 of those 3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And plonked right next to Boak in another. Remember how well that worked out?

Would love him at the club but one thing I've learnt in recent times. Until they have signed on the dotted line it is all speculation.

I'll ask the Mods to change my username to 'Killjoy'.

I don't see why they need to change your name.
I would suggest that this comment indicates that you have your feet firmly planted in reality.

Even though Walker is off the radar (meaning they don't have to offer him as much as they would have next year) I believe Sloane (future captain?) and Talia are also out of contract next year, so Crows will have their hands full if they don't act quick and are bound to lose at least 1 of those 3.

It would seem more likely than not that Sloane will stay with Adelaide beyond next year - it was mentioned in one of the articles about both him & Dangerfield being out of contract that Sloane's parents had moved to Adelaide this year; that kinda removes the "go home to be closer to family" situation that we hear from some footballers, unless Sloane comes out and says "I'm move to get away from my folks" which would be a different take on things.

If he accepts a deal from Geelong and Adelaide match it doesnt force a trade as he still has the choice to re-sign with them or enter the draft with a price on his head. Now he probably wouldnt do the latter, but he can.

No doubt Geelong are going to make a big offer, 5 or 6 years I would suspect and huge money (which I am fine with) but the money bit is overrated.
Some clubs would offer more than Geelong (e.g. Melb), if he comes it will be for family and success, not money. The offer, as you say, just needs to be large enough to make it not worth Adelaide to risk matching and for that it's gotta be 1 mil or higher I think
One thing that I think is being over looked in talks about FA is the footy culture in which we live. For example over in America offers are matched all the time and it's just viewed as part of running a business, but in Aus a mentality of 'if you don't want to be here then we don't want you here' still exists. Now I'm not saying that this notion is as strong as some might suggest but I do believe that it does still exist in some capacity and if we were to make it hard enough for the Crows to match our offer then it would be a factor IMO.

I mean, do Adelaide really want to retain player that has publicly stated that he wants to move to another club? Or do they let him him go knowing that he will be the highest paid player on their list aswell as the fact of knowing that if they do let him go then they will recieve a first round selection for him in any case.

Personally I can't see GFC offering a 5 or 6 year deal to anyone including current players. Maximum club would be prepared to offer would be 4 years. Does anyone know what Selwoods deal turned out to be?

Hawkins deal will give us a true indication of Hockings direction with contract terms. I am tipping Hawkins will be offered 4 year deal, then after that it will simply be on a yearly basis.

I am happy for Dangerfield to come to Geelong, but not at the expense of others in our club who have already sacrificed $$$ to keep us together. Dangerfield should not be paid anymore than Hawkins or Selwood.

Personally I can't see GFC offering a 5 or 6 year deal to anyone including current players. Maximum club would be prepared to offer would be 4 years. Does anyone know what Selwoods deal turned out to be?

Hawkins deal will give us a true indication of Hockings direction with contract terms. I am tipping Hawkins will be offered 4 year deal, then after that it will simply be on a yearly basis.

I am happy for Dangerfield to come to Geelong, but not at the expense of others in our club who have already sacrificed $$$ to keep us together. Dangerfield should not be paid anymore than Hawkins or Selwood.

Taylor signed a 5 year deal to stay with the club last year - what would have changed in less than 18 months that they wouldn't now look at giving a 5 year deal to player/s, and especially players who would be the same age or younger then what Taylor was at the time of him signing his new contract?

I could easily see Hawkins getting a 5 year contract - he would most likely get more on the open market and if he signed at another club, so the way to counteract that would be to give him an additional year compared to what our previous contract tend to be.

I thought that we also offered Frawley a 5 year deal and that would seem strange we are prepared to put that to one FA but not another & not one of our own who happens to be one of our most important players also.

Cats offered Taylor and Frawley five years. They don't like to pay obscene amounts per year so I see length of contract as a way they can keep players happy. They will offer Hawk a looooong deal, surely.

Selwood was given a 5 year deal in 2012 that runs out in 2017 and when it does he will get another long term deal.

Hawk will get a long term deal. We gave Taylor a 5 year contract last year and he is older than Selwood, Hawkins and Dangerfield.

We offered Frawley 5 years.

No question given all that that we would offer Dangerfield 5 years, and that and big $ is what would be required to move him

Selwood was given a 5 year deal in 2012 that runs out in 2017 and when it does he will get another long term deal.
Hawk will get a long term deal. We gave Taylor a 5 year contract last year and he is older than Selwood, Hawkins and Dangerfield.
We offered Frawley 5 years.
No question given all that that we would offer Dangerfield 5 years, and that and big $ is what would be required to move him

At least $1m, given he's getting $800,000 plus already.

If we get him, I can't see him being on any less than Selwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back