List Mgmt. OFFICIAL: Dangerfield + Pick 50 for Picks 9, 28 and Dean Gore

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know Ducan would seem to be the next obvious choice, but seeing as the Crows are reluctant to do so, would a bargaining chip for the GFC be a promising of future captaincy?

He is a couple of years younger then Joel. And it seems he has a desire to do so.

Not sure how much weight this would actual hold but it could be something that the footy club uses as a sweetener

I know Ducan would seem to be the next obvious choice, but seeing as the Crows are reluctant to do so, would a bargaining chip for the GFC be a promising of future captaincy?

He is a couple of years younger then Joel. And it seems he has a desire to do so.

Not sure how much weight this would actual hold but it could be something that the footy club uses as a sweetener

We could include that in our pitch to him but I don't think that would be a major factor in his leaving Adelaide. Seeing as though Van Berlo is old I'm sure the Crows are telling him that he is their next captain after VB retires so.

I think Geelong's next captain will be Enright which should last at least 5 years ;)

But nah definitely have Duncan as the favourite at the moment but lets not get into that as Joel is still only 26/27 not 30+ so I'm looking forward to another hopefully 4+ years of inspirational captaining from the man!

I would absolutely hate it if the captaincy was used to lure Dangerfield (or any player) to Geelong. I think a player should have to prove to the club and the players that he is captaincy material first, which can only really be done by spending years with the group, earning their trust and respect.

As mentioned, Selwood still has plenty of football left in him, so Dangerfield would have time to prove his credentials anyway. If he came to Geelong and was the right person for the captaincy when Selwood gives it up, no worries, but I wouldn't want it guaranteed to him in his contract.

Is this speculation or based on some inside knowledge?

Definitely the biggest downside to Balme going to Collingwood is the "intellectual property" he takes with him on Geelong's list management strategy, plans and priorities. He will undoubtedly know where Geelong sits in its plans to snag a free agent(s) for 2016 as well as the plans to resign key players such as Hawkins, Motlop and Duncan.

Its true what you say WA Cat. Although you would expect that it will really only have any affect when it comes to external recruitments, and even then only if there is already strategy and decisions about how to recruit say Dangerfield. Will be interesting indeed if Collingwood were to make a play Patrick

Definitely the biggest downside to Balme going to Collingwood is the "intellectual property" he takes with him on Geelong's list management strategy, plans and priorities. He will undoubtedly know where Geelong sits in its plans to snag a free agent(s) for 2016 as well as the plans to resign key players such as Hawkins, Motlop and Duncan.

Agree with tho big picture but GFC will have re-signings thru the year you would expect - Hawk and others - and Balme wont know the amounts, terms and durations. Sure he will know the ethos but the specifics will be unknown to him.

It would be better he know nothing but in the real world that is just impossible.

Go Catters

And in the real world, clubs know more about what other clubs are doing than you would think.

One of the first duties of a player manager is to keep the other 17 clubs fully informed about the contact negotiation status of each of his players. Just in case anyone might be interested in gazumping his present club, you never know.

One of the first duties of a player manager is to keep the other 17 clubs fully informed about the contact negotiation status of each of his players. Just in case anyone might be interested in gazumping his present club, you never know.

Fair point Fred but let me just add this - list management plans I would imagine are typically put in place over a long term horizon, say 3-4 years. It is a not like a game plan which evolves from week to week. Therefore the IP that some one on the list management team has is arguably much more important than an assistant coach who jumps ship.
In the context of this thread, the 'leg work' that has been put in place to try and secure Dangerfield would have started at least 18 months ago. It is not just about possible magnitude of the contract amount and length, but it is also the tactics being deployed to gain favour with the player, the player's family and agent.
These tactics have walked out the door and will shortly be known at Collingwood.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dangerfield to join Balme at Collingwood in 2016, you heard it first here!!!

That would not surprise me at all.
But nor would I be surprised if the Hawks cleared some fringe and older players and secured his services.

That would not surprise me at all.
But nor would I be surprised if the Hawks cleared some fringe and older players and secured his services.

Doesn't mean a damn thing, but a couple of hardcore Hawks supporters I know have mentioned there is considerable optimism at the club that they will indeed secure his services next year.

If nothing else the whole speculation is giving me some great ammo for stirring up my Crow supporting missus :D

Take last night's International Rules, I thoroughly enjoyed pointing out it could be the first of many games Danger plays with Selwood, and Harry

:D

If nothing else the whole speculation is giving me some great ammo for stirring up my Crow supporting missus :D

Take last night's International Rules, I thoroughly enjoyed pointing out it could be the first of many games Danger plays with Selwood, and Harry

:D
Same here mate. My wife loves Danger. She'll be devo when he signs with the Cats in 2016!:D

Same here mate. My wife loves Danger. She'll be devo when he signs with the Cats in 2016!:D
I'm just telling mine that at least he'll be going to a club she like!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back