List Mgmt. OFFICIAL: Scott Selwood moves to Geelong as free agent

Remove this Banner Ad

If they're going to match, then there's no use bothering with him. Let him stay. He would be nice as a free hit, but he's not good enough, and his body isn't reliable enough, to give something up for, especially given we'll be losing players and draft picks chasing Henderson and Dangerfied.

Yep and it's very good to get a clearer picture especially given the sub rule so that helps.

I guess the point I was making earlier to P is that Selwood has shown himself to be and have played far superior football to that of George. Hence why combined with West Coast being a better team than us at present it's not alarming that he's on the periphery. He'd slot into our midfield comfortably and contribute in two areas of need. Clearances and run with roles.

He was definitely elite back in 2013 but that was two years ago, I'm expecting that S.Selwood that we get will be closer to his 2015 model than his 2013 version. That being said he'd be a great pick up regardless how he compares to GHS I don't see why we couldn't play both.

He was definitely elite back in 2013 but that was two years ago, I'm expecting that S.Selwood that we get will be closer to his 2015 model than his 2013 version. That being said he'd be a great pick up regardless how he compares to GHS I don't see why we couldn't play both.
I'd happily take 4-5 clearances a game from him (which is somewhere between the 2013 and 2015 versions).

With him and Dangerfield alongside Selwood, Caddy, Duncan, Guthrie, Blicavs we'll start to replenish the amount of clearance winning players we have. We were middle of the road in centre clearances but a distant last at stoppages. Suggests to me we lack clearance winning depth as centre bounces are 3 v 3 and a ruck and our best 3 aren't bad. It's the chaff after that and those two players should help in that regard.

For me I'm not asking or expecting SS to star for us. If he can be a solid cog in the midfield playing alongside other solid cogs then we'll begin to improve in the middle. Which we need to, badly.

I'd like Scott, because I believe it would reduce the pressure on Joel...some of the "attention" Joel gets would be soaked up by his brothers' close proximity and hard at the ball toughness....add Dangerfield and Joel gets more freedom to play his own game.....which is top drawer in anyone's language.

It might just win him a Brownlow.

On one hand we have Gossage 100% on Selwood re-signing and on the other hand we have West Coast apparently indicating they'll match our offer.

This is purely and simply a ploy by the Eagles to force Geelong to up their offer so that the Eagles receive a band one compo selection.

Make Scooter a reasonable offer. He is outside their best 22 (barely) so the offer can reflect that.

If they match, or make noises about it, whoopdey do. Let them. If they want to re-sign him. please do.

If not, we'll take him.

Its that blue and white.

Go Catters

Don't agree with Leigh on that one. You are just damaging the clubs reputation. You have to do right by the players.

Contract signed, stick to it, its a hell of burden? Brisbane is going nowhere due to players leaving when they feel like & the club just caves, the club has a responsibility to its fans & the comp generally, & keeping players is part of that.

I agree with Matthews, short term pain, long term gain - foreign to you? The big picture.

No. I understand the concept. I just don't agree. Don't believe it achieves anything and you just lose valuable assets for nothing.

So, hypothetical, you'd trade you're car or house for nothing? Something you've purchased and put time into? Because that's essentially what your saying.

I'm not saying not trying to convince a player to stay, but at the end of the day, if they are going to walk, I'd make a move.

It's stupid not to

No. I understand the concept. I just don't agree. Don't believe it achieves anything and you just lose valuable assets for nothing.

So, hypothetical, you'd trade you're car or house for nothing? Something you've purchased and put time into? Because that's essentially what your saying.

I'm not saying not trying to convince a player to stay, but at the end of the day, if they are going to walk, I'd make a move.

It's stupid not to

So you don't build a list because you cant?

On one hand we have Gossage 100% on Selwood re-signing and on the other hand we have West Coast apparently indicating they'll match our offer.

This is purely and simply a ploy by the Eagles to force Geelong to up their offer so that the Eagles receive a band one compo selection.

images.jpg

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 3

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scott said Joel had tried not to put any added family pressure on his tough call.
“He (Joel) has been really, really respectful about it all,” Scott told the Herald Sun yesterday.
“He has stood back and let me know that it is my decision, if I make the decision, and that was the way I wanted it, really.”
West Coast has maintained it is determined to keep Selwood, with the Herald Sun revealing on Wednesday it could match any free agency offer from Geelong.
West Coast would receive pick No. 35-36 as compensation for Selwood if it released him to Geelong, based on an estimated $400,000 a year contract.
“We wanted to get the ankle right before we made any decisions (on contracts) and unfortunately it hasn’t played out where we have been able to get it right,” he said.
“At the moment, I’m just trying to stay in the moment and enjoy everything that’s going on, and try and give everything I can to this footy club.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...-to-join-geelong/story-fni5f6yf-1227554683443

the whole rfa is just a farce - clubs using the threat of matching to force a better offer or trade
its all bluff
Scooter says in 5 days that he is gone, he has mentally checked out. WCE match, and Geelong walk away. WCE then have a player who is not interested and will demand overs in the contract to sign.
System needs to be cleaned up, after 8 years the players walk. As for compo either make it fair (AFL) or get rid of it.

NFL run an unmatched RFA compo as a Rd1 and Rd3. Rarely is this ever given.
NFL team signing the RFA are forced to give up tha touch to get him plus the contract. Rare, rare rare circumstance where it happens.
Temas just wait and if its not the other teams waiting its the player who rides the RFA out and gets the mega deal the following year.

GO Catters

?
Just about every player has end of year scans and, if needed, follow up surgery.

The bit about staying in the moment, sounds like a guy who is going.

Ftr, I think he will lodge with Geelong as soon as the FA period opens and they will quickly not match. They will get end 1st round compo for a guy not in their best 22 and they will want it quickly as they need to close the Jetta and Redden deals before Freo tries to get either of them, so they will not want to dally.

Only the Danger deal do I think will be drawn out, this one will be quick.

Think Nakia was referring to the last sentence in the post above his Vdub......'trying to stay in the moment......and try and give everthing to this club'
The bit about staying in the moment, sounds like a guy who is going.

Ftr, I think he will lodge with Geelong as soon as the FA period opens and they will quickly not match. They will get end 1st round compo for a guy not in their best 22 and they will want it quickly as they need to close the Jetta and Redden deals before Freo tries to get either of them, so they will not want to dally.

Only the Danger deal do I think will be drawn out, this one will be quick.
That would be the 4th last sentence; but we are maybe reading too much into that one, after all, this guy is just missing out on a premiership today. Not sure what he's supposed to say.

That would be the 4th last sentence; but we are maybe reading too much into that one, after all, this guy is just missing out on a premiership today. Not sure what he's supposed to say.
Sorry mate the quote didn't work out as I intended. Referring to the last sentence from the posters quote from the media.

Do you think Selwood was sitting in the crowd at the match today, watching his teammates choke, while he is apparently not good enough to get selected and thinking that a fresh start at a new team next year is exactly what he needs?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back