Do we want Zac Smith at the Cattery?

• Yes

Votes: 199 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 59 22.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

no he wasn't.
Collingwood's pick was a father/son selection and were always going to take him so we were only one selection behind Gold Coast.
We could have traded with Gold Coast in exchange for their pick if we really wanted to get it done. We may even have tried that at the time who knows.
Are you saying tried beforehand? Because my recollection was this trade was done in the last minute, literally.

Henderson Lonergan Enright
Thurlow Taylor Kolo
Mackie Selwood Blitz
Motlop Clark Murdoch
Menzel Hawk Vardy
Smith Dangerfield Duncan

INT Stanley (rotating with Vardy and Smith with sub rule gone), Guthrie, Bartel, Caddy.
EMERGENCIES: S.Selwood, Smedts, Cockatoo, McCarthy, Lang, Gore, Cowan, Bews, Gregson, Cunico, Hyphen, Kersten, draft picks

Room for them all in my eyes.

You don't have Guthrie, Caddy or Stanley starting on the ground?
No Lang, Gregson or Cockatoo in the 22?
Did you watch or go to any of the games this year?? Cause it doesn't look like it!

Henderson?? He'll serve up the same S#$T he did at Carlton.
Smith?? That's ridiculous. I think you are getting ahead of yourself - Stanley, Blicavs, Vardy, Clark and Walker are better than him.
The only trade get that would be good to get is Dangerfield.
I agree with S.Selwood - emergency at best so why bother getting him to the club. That's 400K that could be better used elsewhere.

There are some good wraps on Gore & Cunico, so expect to see them get some game time next season.

You don't have Guthrie, Caddy or Stanley starting on the ground?
No Lang, Gregson or Cockatoo in the 22?
Did you watch or go to any of the games this year?? Cause it doesn't look like it!

Henderson?? He'll serve up the same S#$T he did at Carlton.
Smith?? That's ridiculous. I think you are getting ahead of yourself - Stanley, Blicavs, Vardy, Clark and Walker are better than him.
The only trade get that would be good to get is Dangerfield.
I agree with S.Selwood - emergency at best so why bother getting him to the club. That's 400K that could be better used elsewhere.

There are some good wraps on Gore & Cunico, so expect to see them get some game time next season.
Wow!?!?! Really...

Henderson. Well no he won't serve up "the same s**t" as he was playing out of position at Carlton and had mentally checked out. We're not recruiting him as a forward (which couldn't be easy at Carlton). He's a Defender for us and a replacement for the fast approaching retirement of Domsy.

Smith is an upgrade on Dawson and Hamish is also gone and unlike Clark and Vardy is more likely to be fit. No sub rule so could play two rucks which allows him to play alongside Stanley possibly. Walker better than him as a ruck. Go lie down, walker is the most inept ruck on the earth and for good reason, he's a CHF!!. Blitz for all his improvement isn't a great ruckmen either.
In any case Walker is possibly not going to be here anyway so not all that relevant.

Selwood... Emergency at best... In our midfield, no he's more needed than that. Stokes, Kelly and SJ all gone and S.Selwood is ahead of Lang, Gregson, Cockatoo, GHS, Murdoch in the team. Is a good clearance player (something we're bad at) and good at shut down roles (something we need).

I was watching the 2007 Prelim highlights the other night as it popped up on my youtube.
Can we recruit another Ottens please. How ******* good was he. :rainbow:
The last 5 minutes. Awesome looking back. At the time the sphincter took about 3 days to unclench :D

The game never had to evolve past the 'one player can make us great' notion. That notion only exists in the mind of certain delusional people, and they are the ones that need to evolve past that notion.
Could argue it existed in the mind of a entire delusional club in terms of Carlton and what they thought Judd was going to do for them. Predictably as great as he was they never threatened.

I was reading a bit about Zac Smith this evening, just trying to find out what sort of a player he is, as I knew pretty much next to nothing about him.
Here are a few 'fun facts' about the young fellow.

1. Smith was born and bred in Qld, playing soccer as a kid until he was introduced to Aussie Rules at 16 years of age.** (interesting story below)

2. He lived with GAJ and Nathan when he arrived at the GCFC and debuted in the club's first game vs Carlton in R2, 2011.

3. He received a Rising Star (and his first 2 Brownlow votes) in R7, 2011 after playing on Leuenberger and MITCH CLARK (Brisbane) :eek: in a 22 possession, 17 hitout game. He received 21 RS votes at the final count, ranking 3rd overall. He was Gold Coast's No. 1 Ruckman in his first year of AFL, overtaking Josh Fraser, who'd played 200 games at the Pies.

4. Zac ruptured his ACL in R8, 2013, in his 44th game for the Suns. He returned to AFL in R9, 2014.

5. Smith played 10 consecutive games in 2014 before injuring his ankle in R18, resulting in surgery on that ankle.

6. Rodney Eade named Smith as Suns' best player in the NAB game vs Geelong in March 2015. (13 disposals, 28 hitouts). Unfortunately Zac was overtaken in the ruck division by Tom Nicholls over the course of 2015, though he played R1-7 and the last 3 games of the season when Nicholls was injured. Smith had the better of Stanley in R3, before his form tailed off and he was sent to play NEAFL. Encouragingly, he managed to play 23 games this year between both levels. Hopefully his form will take an upward swing if he moves to Geelong.

7. Sadly, Zac is accustomed to failure, having played 65 games for the GCFC for 13 wins and 52 losses, a 20% winning percentage. :( Contrast that with most of our players at the Cattery and you might think he would feel envious of the success that our players have had. I think that he would be a great get for our club and that it's about time this young man's luck changed! Hopefully he will be one of the new faces at the club in 2016 and will, with a new-look team, effect this change.

**Story about where he's come from:
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/the-rise-and-shine-of-zac-smith-20110603-1flgy.html

2. He lived with GAJ and Nathan when he arrived at the GCFC and debuted in the club's first game vs Carlton in R2, 2011.
For all of GAJ breaking my heart-ness. I think he's been a key factor in getting Caddy and Smith to take a look at the Cats. Thanks campaigner. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the rumours of Zac Smith for a Rd2 206 are accurate that sounds like a very good deal.

Not to mention that it precludes us from trading Rd 1 2016…. nice little tactical move there…
In Milton Bradley terms, AFC , we just sunk your battleship! ( well at least the 2 Rd1 picks option)

A 25 year old 205 cm 100kg ruck with a few years in the system. A bit lost at the moment which appears to be IMO is as much environmental as physically induced.

Yes he did the ACL - but has had no ACL related issues since that I could find. Had an ankle issue that he has recovered from. Has he been hurt, yes, but is he currently coming in carrying anything? - it appears not. Unlike Hmac for example who came here hurt.

Putting him in a better club environment, in tandem with Vardy, Stanley, Blitz and CLark, could yield some very tasty results indeed.
Im not expecting him to beat 211, Goldy et al as the big #1's but being able to at least compete better in terms of size than Walker and Blitz.
And that athleticism around the ground for 4 1/4s with lower rotations and no sub could work very well in our favour.

Seems about time for Leigh Matthews to come out and ask to ban 3rd man up again…..o_O

I think the culture change from GCS to GFC should be underestimated - and I wonder if Caddy has been in touch with him. If anyone could highlight the differences in culture and expectations, it would be him.

Go Catters

Wow!?!?! Really...

Henderson. Well no he won't serve up "the same s**t" as he was playing out of position at Carlton and had mentally checked out. We're not recruiting him as a forward (which couldn't be easy at Carlton). He's a Defender for us and a replacement for the fast approaching retirement of Domsy.

Smith is an upgrade on Dawson and Hamish is also gone and unlike Clark and Vardy is more likely to be fit. No sub rule so could play two rucks which allows him to play alongside Stanley possibly. Walker better than him as a ruck. Go lie down, walker is the most inept ruck on the earth and for good reason, he's a CHF!!. Blitz for all his improvement isn't a great ruckmen either.
In any case Walker is possibly not going to be here anyway so not all that relevant.

Selwood... Emergency at best... In our midfield, no he's more needed than that. Stokes, Kelly and SJ all gone and S.Selwood is ahead of Lang, Gregson, Cockatoo, GHS, Murdoch in the team. Is a good clearance player (something we're bad at) and good at shut down roles (something we need).
You really have been sucked in by the carlton propaganda machine regarding Henderson. You realise they keep saying that to try to get a better draft deal right? Players up for their last ever big contract often check out and don't try hard :rolleyes:

I remember having him in my fantasy sides in his debut year. Was pretty good for a first-year player as I recall.
In his first year he was touted as the next Dean Cox from memory

You really have been sucked in by the carlton propaganda machine regarding Henderson. You realise they keep saying that to try to get a better draft deal right? Players up for their last ever big contract often check out and don't try hard :rolleyes:
Haha how dopey do you think we are? That we would base our observations of Henderson on what Carlton tells us?
Do you think that is how the club trades? He is a decent player and capable of filling a role.

Depends on the environment. Losing every week does something to you. No doubt.

To believe that isn't the case is extremely myopic.

Depends on the environment. Losing every week does something to you. No doubt.

To believe that isn't the case is extremely myopic.
It's his last contract. players unusually lift in their last big contract year, not go the other way. He would have to be one weird dude to do that. The most obvious answer though is he is just an ordinary player. The most obvious answer is usually the correct one.

It's his last contract. players unusually lift in their last big contract year, not go the other way. He would have to be one weird dude to do that. The most obvious answer though is he is just an ordinary player. The most obvious answer is usually the correct one.

Great assumption there. Usually lift. Lol.

There are many professional sport stars that don't lift, they then get judged on 'potential'.

Garlett and Betts were rubbish in their last years at the Blues as well....

Betts amazing since and Garlett kicked 40 goals as a small forward in a team that struggled to score.

Garlett and Betts were rubbish in their last years at the Blues as well....

Betts amazing since and Garlett kicked 40 goals as a small forward in a team that struggled to score.

Betts is a great example of what I was alluding to. Thanks Willo_

And quite a pertinent example, playing for Carltank

Back