OKC trades James Harden

Remove this Banner Ad

The guy is 23 an all-star and Team USA member. How long would any player in that circumstance be happy to be the sixth man and get less money than what he is worth?
All the other guys listed are part of a starting line up at least.

Surely there comes a time when you have to and want to put yourself forward as a #1 guy or at least, a starter?

Say what?

It will be interesting to see how he goes as the go to guy in Houston. Houston have taken a huge risk on Lin and Harden. Could set the franchise back ten years or it could go swimmingly. I think they are about to find out that Harden looks great as the third option on a winning team and that Lin actually isnt as good as they think.

If be surprised if they make any sort of noise in the West.

Harden put up plenty of clutch performances in the playoffs. Don't think the finals are a fair way to judge him, nor is saying "he was behind Durant and Westbrook". He destroyed teams last season, particularly while running the second unit. You can't discount the efficiency at which he scores his points, which to me is probably the most telling stat.

He is unguardable on the pick and roll and is as good as anyone in the league at getting to the basket and drawing contact. I agree OKC did very well out of the trade but Harden will be an All-Star for years to come.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Highlights from the game.

The team will have it's struggles through the year, they are incredibly young and still have a lot to learn when playing together.

but to have a player like Harden play like that, and have him for 6 years (the 5 yr deal starts next year) puts Houston in a nice place for a few years. Def something to build around.

Whoop, his next game is against us. I have no idea how we are going to defend 2 guards ... or small forwards. Just a bit of a gap in the roster around those positions. He can score 30 pretty easily.

Would you rather make 1.5m per year less and play for a contender or take the money and play for a 30 win team?

The guy is 23. Are we going to be a 30 win team his whole 6 years? Doubtful, we have been a team that has looked to win the last two decades with an owner that has always been willing to support that and have the ability to throw a max contract around in the off season. If he was 29 coming off a max deal this would be a valid argument but as a 23 year old as the #3 guy on his former team it really isn't, giving up coin to chase rings is what you do after the money is in the bank.

I went to OKC this may and his face(beard) was in every advertisement on TV and on billboards across the city. he would have been making a fortune in endorsements,which would go closer bridging the 6m gap you mentioned

Something going on here. Methinks he just wanted to be the #1 banana on his own team
So he won't make any extra money in Houston? Considering Houston is 4 times the size of OKC and has the huge Chinese market still buying into their product he shouldn't have too much trouble making as much and a little more. I don't consider us a big market team even if it is the 4th biggest city but we certainly can offer a bit more than most of the teams in regard to that, also as had been mentioned the tax bonuses, which is why a lot of NBA players make Texas their home in the off season.

The #1 point, probably not far from the truth but I can't blame guys for wanting that and also you gotta remember he didn't demand the trade. As long as he's willing to play the team way while being the top dog then good on him. After watching the whole game today he might have a bit of work, we're basically a thrown together team at the moment and it often showed, we looked terrible at times.... plus McHale is right behind Mike Brown as the worst coach in the league.

If he was 29 coming off a max deal this would be a valid argument but as a 23 year old as the #3 guy on his former team it really isn't, giving up coin to chase rings is what you do after the money is in the bank.

The guys who got paid but never won a ring all seem to wish they had one. Counting on improvement in a middling squad is not really a high yield strategy.

The guys who got paid but never won a ring all seem to wish they had one. Counting on improvement in a middling squad is not really a high yield strategy.

So at 29 if we go nowhere he won't be able to chase a ring? Players being forced off good teams because of salary is what until recently has kept the league exciting. If every half decent player is expected to take pay cuts to make sure they play on a contender it won't be a very fun time for fans of teams like mine or yours.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back