On the 5th day of xmas

Remove this Banner Ad

Who can forget the number 5 on the back of the little bloke who was on the end of that most famous of fists from deep in the forward pocket?!
Harmes set it up, but Kenny was in just the right place to finish the job. :hearts:

Who can forget the number 5 on the back of the little bloke who was on the end of that most famous of fists from deep in the forward pocket?!
Harmes set it up, but Kenny was in just the right place to finish the job. :hearts:

Oh you mean this!!!! :D I think people forget how good Harmes' one handed pick up was before he kicks it.

Oh you mean this!!!! :D I think people forget how good Harmes' one handed pick up was before he kicks it.

Grouse, wasn't it? He didn't even break stride. The problem was, we was moving so fast when he took his kick that he made a mess of it - and had to salvage things in the way that he did (and thank God he did).

Gotta love the "atrocious" state of the surface on Grand Final day, with muddy patches in all the high traffic areas of the ground! Can you imagine that, in this day and age, when the grounds are always perfectly presented, from the beginning to the end of the season?!
I hope present day players watch videos like this, so they know how good they've got it.

No contest I reckon, can't go past the great man.

Yep. Three time premiership player Kenny Sheldon.
Sorry Juddy but you got to be part of a premiership team to catch up.
Syd Jackson before my time but looked like a good little forward ahead of his time.
Then Andy McKay and Juddy. Sheldon is my favourite number 5 though. Classy up forward and could kick 50 in a year if stays there and also classy when playing midfield. Better still, classy bloke. Part of the famous mosquito fleet of most exciting football team I saw live.

I wish our present midfielders could kick goals like him.
Pity his timing was out when he became a coach. He was first coach I ever seen get St.Kilda to play in finals and look good. Always wondered how he would have gone coaching us but Parkin was coaching us at that time so it was not open.

Last edited:

I saw a video on youtube just recently of Mark Maclure doing exactly what Harmes did the year before in game against North. He tapped it to Marcou or Sheldon I think at Arden Street. It stunned me as it was so much like what Harmesy did in Grand Final to chase the ball down and tap it forward before it went out of play. Quite clearly these guys did not give up the ball going over the boundary line until it actually went over. It was part of way they played together. Most other players would give up and let it go over but these guys kept it alive and little things that become good habits like this, make a team be great and win premierships, rather than just be good and miss out on the flags.

Bomba for me ...........beautiful kick, deadly around the sticks, could take a hanger, and handy with the fists........he ragdolled Wiley then had a quick combo at Raines when the blue started early in the '82 GF.

Only coached for a short time with the Saints, but got them into the finals, dunno why we didn't try to get him back in some capacity.

Was at an intra club praccy match maybe around 1971. Syd Jackson put in a good first half and then went off for the rest of the game. Some untried youngster came out after half time wearing Syd's number 5. Wag next to me in the crowd called out one of the popular advertising jingles of the time - "Guess who's mum's got a Whirlpool?". Sorry if you're to young to get the joke - it was a pearler at the time, although these days the spectator would probably be fined and hauled away for racial vilification counselling.

For those who need help - Syd was indigenous and had especially dark skin, the jingle was about how a particular brand of washing machine made things really white... geddit?

I saw a video on youtube just recently of Mark Maclure doing exactly what Harmes did the year before in game against North. He tapped it to Marcou or Sheldon I think at Arden Street. It stunned me as it was so much like what Harmesy did in Grand Final to chase the ball down and tap it forward before it went out of play. Quite clearly these guys did not give up the ball going over the boundary line until it actually went over. It was part of way they played together. Most other players would give up and let it go over but these guys kept it alive and little things that become good habits like this, make a team be great and win premierships, rather than just be good and miss out on the flags.

It was also well before flooding and zoning and forward pressing and whatnotting became the norm. Nowadays players often let it go out to give their team time to position themselves.
It was just man on man footy, and our guys of that era knew we had a lot of fleet-footed small players in the side who you could back to beat their man up the ground with attacking running. Like Sheldon did - he instinctively ran for the goal square, knowing Harmesy wouldn't give up and would keep the ball alive if humanly possible.

Last edited:
As much as it will kill me to see Juddy hang up the boots eventually, I reckon we'll get a pretty handy player to inherit his #5

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You thinking one of the Silvagni boys? ;)
They can't all wear the number 1!
I base this on know inside info whatsoever, but with all our cap space in the next few years, I reckon we'd bring in a pretty handy player by trade or FA and he'd be worthy of the number 5.

It was also well before flooding and zoning and forward pressing and whatnotting became the norm. Nowadays players often let it go out to give their team time to position themselves.
It was just man on man footy, and our guys of that era knew we had a lot of fleet-footed small players in the side who you could back to beat their man up the ground with attacking running. Like Sheldon did - he instinctively ran for the goal square, knowing Harmesy wouldn't give up and would keep the ball alive if humanly possible.

Yep! All very true.
Hey, I found the video where I mention Maclure tapping ball forward towards Sheldon to kick goal, very similar to what Harmesy did a year later on Grand Final day. I wonder subconsciously whether Harmes remembered that play a year later on the big day and it is part of reason he chased the ball down so feverishly.

check it out about the 2 minute 58 seconds mark. He does not have as far to tap the ball a Harmesy did but still very clever awareness.
Also note at start of 1978 season Carlton were about 1 win from first 6 matches before Jezza took over as playing coach. Amazing we were up to 3rd on ladder later in season and beating reigning premiers and ladder leader on their home patch.

Here is the grand final goal that is so famous.

Last edited:
Some Kenny Sheldon videos

The Juddstar v Swans in the wet

and the last final we won against an enemy.

Pity Brighton Diggins way before television era as would have loved to see what he was like.

Funny, found it hard to find many of Andrew McKay on youtube.

Anyway Syd Jackson there is some footage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSJ5-r9IiaE

Funny, found it hard to find many of Andrew McKay on youtube.

Andy McKay was seldom spectacular but no less a vital player for all that. He was a rebounding half back, so his deeds wouldn't feature in too many highlights reels. Tough, hard, fast and unrelenting, Andy Mac was very seldom beaten one on one. Countless times I saw him go up against two opponents and come out with the ball, leaving those opponents with nothing but WTF expressions on their faces.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back