Drugs/doping in AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Stop the whining, I'm not sure Clint jones goal was to be playing vfl footy, he wants to be in the afl and a opportunity like this is something that could get him a future call up. You can't be disappointed about players wearing the Dons top when our club made the decision to let them go

1) Stop whining about people cheating?

2) You think that playing 3-4 games as a stand-in at AFL, will be a "great opportunity" for him, to get potentially redrafted? We're talking about the same guy here yeah, the 31yr old tagger who couldn't hit the sea with a kick from the beach?

To be honest if it was to actually play for Essendon properly and get paid good AFL money, then go ahead. I've no issue with Jimmy Gwilt for example. But emergency injury cap money is probably less than what Fevola gets, so there's not really any money to be gained from it. There's no career benefit from it, other than playing an extra 3-4 games with an asterisk after your name (like those who only got to play NFL due to players strike in the mid-80s). Mitch Brown I understand, Adam Cockie I definitely understand, but not Clint Jones.

The ruling that players coming in for any suspended players have to have been on AFL lists in the past 2 years, is a master stroke by the AFL. This solves a number of problems, of having younger players who physically are not up to it playing, plus it removes the possible advantage that Essendon would have brought in a large group of elite youngsters, to try and evaluate them and gain an advantage come drafting or trading time, from this inside knowledge of them.

The AFL has given them a mature list of players who have retired, or have been delisted. The elderly and the not good enough, are exactly who should be filling in for Essendon to fill spots for their suspended players. Touche AFL.

The 'maximum two from any club' isn't quite clear to me. Does that mean signing them from Sandringham for, say a month? Or does it mean 2 from any club, as in that was the AFL club they were listed to?
The latter makes more sense to me, that they would not be able to pick up lots of guys delisted from 2 or 3 clubs, rather they would need to have 1 or 2 from nearly every club, a real mish-mash.

And if Brown for example hasn't played for Sandy yet, he could have his contract rescinded so he's not being signed to Essendon from Sandringham.

Do the VFL and other state-level teams get compensated?

The 'maximum two from any club' isn't quite clear to me. Does that mean signing them from Sandringham for, say a month? Or does it mean 2 from any club, as in that was the AFL club they were listed to?
The latter makes more sense to me, that they would not be able to pick up lots of guys delisted from 2 or 3 clubs, rather they would need to have 1 or 2 from nearly every club, a real mish-mash.

And if Brown for example hasn't played for Sandy yet, he could have his contract rescinded so he's not being signed to Essendon from Sandringham.

I can only assume they'd get compo otherwise they'd be up in arms. I would take it as 2 from any club.

I thought that if a significant portion of a team was found to cheat the team was punished. They should be playing these games for zero points. I don't care if that makes it uneven, that's just the luck of the biased draw that the AFL concocted whereby Essendon play last year'so two grand finalists in the order three weeks (and some otjer top eight team).

God forbid if essendon win a few games with the top up players...

What is the fairest result from this:
  1. Essendon suspended for 6 months
  2. Essendon suspended for 9 months
  3. Essendon suspended for 12 months
What is the result that would provide the greatest satisfaction:
  1. Essendon suspended for 6 months, effectively ruining this season. ASADA appeals leniency of sentence, off field action continues through 2015 and Essendon gets a further 6 months suspension, thus ruining the 2016 season
  2. Essendon suspended for 12 months
  3. Essendon suspended. Hird sacked. Little and most of the board stand down. Club comes clean and admits to supplements taking and acknowledges that they have got what they deserve and will serve their suspensions without complaint, or legal action

• Essendon players involved suspended for 12 months, other Essendon players have contracts paid out and become free agents, Essendon FC de-registered from the AFL, James Hird life ban and expunged from HoF, Jobe stripped of Brownlow, Essendon to inject a multi million sum into a AFLPA medical fund to cover the players potential medical costs.
What is the result that would provide the greatest satisfaction:
  • Essendon players involved suspended for 24 months, other Essendon players have contracts paid out and become free agents, Essendon FC de-registered from the AFL, James Hird life ban and expunged from HoF, Paul Little life ban, Robbo life ban, Jobe stripped of Brownlow, Essendon to inject a multi million sum into a AFLPA medical fund to cover the players potential medical costs. Goddard to return to St Kilda. St Kilda win flag with Goddard.

Last edited:

I'd say 2 from any club makes more sense as it stops them from poaching all the top Port Melbourne players, for example. Who cares if they pick up 4 delisted Cats players? What's the advantage there?

• Essendon players involved suspended for 12 months, other Essendon players have contracts paid out and become free agents, Essendon FC de-registered from the AFL, James Hird life ban and expunged from HoF, Jobe stripped of Brownlow, Essendon to inject a multi million sum into a AFLPA med
Sorry, but I ******* hate this line of thinking. For all the s**t thats gone down, the supporters do not deserve their club being deregistered for the acts of the semi current board and its coaching panel. How would we feel if the 140 year history of the Saints was just thrown away like that for something similar?

Its a damn travesty that Fitzroy were forced to basically disband and we should not be wanting or wishing that on any other club.

Sorry, but I ******* hate this line of thinking. For all the s**t thats gone down, the supporters do not deserve their club being deregistered for the acts of the semi current board and its coaching panel. How would we feel if the 140 year history of the Saints was just thrown away like that for something similar?

Its a damn travesty that Fitzroy were forced to basically disband and we should not be wanting or wishing that on any other club.
Its Essendon. An exception can always be made.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-02-16/league-sets-topup-rules

ESSENDON will be restricted to recruiting players who have been on AFL lists in the past two seasons should any of its squad be suspended by the League's Anti-Doping Tribunal.

From the Hun: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...he-nab-challenge/story-fni5f22o-1227222652783

OUR BEST 22 OF ELIGIBLE (EX-AFL) PLAYERS

B: Brent Guerra, Matthew Warnock, Josh Hunt

HB: Alex Georgiou, Joel Wilkinson, Clinton Jones

C: Brock McLean, Brent Moloney, Richard Tambling

HF: Kyle Martin, Setanta O’hAilpin, Kyal Horsley

F: Jared Petrenko, Aaron Edwards, Stephen Milne

Foll: Ben Hudson, Brad Sewell, Luke Ball

Int: James Polkinghorne, Jordan Schroder, Jordan Lisle, Liam Anthony (sub)

ALL ELIGIBLE (EX-AFL) PLAYERS

* = delisted rookie

ADELAIDE

Angus Graham

Lewis Johnston — now playing for Norwood (SANFL)

Jared Petrenko — Woodville-West Torrens (SANFL)

Jason Porplyzia — West Adelaide (SANFL)

Richard Tambling — NT Thunder (NEAFL)

Ben Rutten — retired

Alex Spina

Luke Thompson — Woodville West-Torrens (SANFL)

Ian Callinan

Graham Johncock — retired

Nick Joyce

Ben Dowdell*

Tim Klaosen*

Tim McIntyre*

James Battersby* — Sturt (VFL)

Dylan Orval*

BRISBANE LIONS

Simon Black — retired, coaching BL

Jordan Lisle — Port Melbourne (VFL)

Ashley McGrath

Jonathan Brown — retired

Brent Moloney — Noosa (QFL North)

James Polkinghorne — Essendon (VFL)

Patrick Weardon — Port Melbourne (VFL)

Jesse O’Brien

Callum Bartlett*

Aaron Cornelius

Niall McKeever

Richard Newell*

Sam Michael* — Redland (NEAFL)

Stephen Wrigley*

Isaac Conway*

Nick Hayes* — Woodville-West Torrens (SANFL)

CARLTON

Josh Bootsma — Now playing for Peel Thunder (WAFL)

Nick Duigan — retired

Andrew McInnes — Norwood (SANFL)

Brock McLean — Aberfeldie (Northern Football League)

Luke Reynolds — Port Adelaide (SANFL)

Heath Scotland — Doncaster (EFL)

Marcus Davies — Port Melbourne (VFL)

Aaron Joseph

Patrick McCarthy

Luke Mitchell

Tom Temay

Andrew Collins*

Jaryd Cachia* — Richmond (VFL)

Frazer Dale*

Rhys O’Keeffe*

COLLINGWOOD

Luke Ball — Old Xaverians (VAFA)

Martin Clarke — Ireland

Ben Hudson — Retired, coaching BL

Quinten Lynch — Trinity Aquinas (Perth Amos)

Nick Maxwell — Retired, coaching Melbourne Storm

Alan Didak

Ben Johnson

Darren Jolly — The Block

Jordan Russell — Footscray (VFL)

Andrew Krakouer

Caolan Mooney*

Kyle Martin* — Noble Park (EFL)

Peter Yagmoor* — Redland (NEAFL)

Michael Hartley*

Ben Richmond*

ESSENDON

Dylan van Unen — Port Melbourne (VFL)

Sean Gregory

Johnny Rayner*

Fraser Thurlow* — Woodville-West Torrens (SANFL)

* Players on list in 2012 excluded

FREMANTLE

Josh Simpson

Jesse Crichton — Werribee (VFL)

Peter Faulks — Williamstown (VFL)

Alex Forster

Josh Mellington

Jayden Pitt

Kepler Bradley — Claremont (WAFL)

Sam Menegola* — Subiaco (WAFL)

Michael Wood*

Alex Howson*

Haiden Schloithe*

GEELONG

Jordan Schroder — Essendon (VFL)

Jackson Sheringham — Geelong (VFL)

Jesse Stringer

Mitch Brown — Sandringham (VFL)

George Burbury

Ryan Bathie* — Richmond (VFL)

Joel Corey — retired, coaching WB

Nick Bourke*

Cam Eardley*

GOLD COAST

Jackson Allen — Sturt (VFL)

Nathan Bock — Retired, coaching Southport (NEAFL)

Campbell Brown — Retired, working in media

Karmichael Hunt — Queensland Reds (Rugby union)

Jack Hutchins

Tom Murphy — De La Salle (VAFA)

Jeremy Taylor — Collingwood (VFL)

Matthew Warnock

Jared Brennan — Southport (NEAFL)

Jacob Gilbee

Kyal Horsley

Liam Patrick

Joel Wilkinson

Leigh Osborne* — Port Melbourne (VFL)

GWS

Stephen Gilham

Josh Hunt — Southport (NEAFL)

Dean Brogan — Retired, coaching GWS

Chad Cornes — Retired, coaching GWS

Josh Growden — NFL (Uni of Louisiana)

Setanta O’hAilpin — Albury Tigers (O&M)

Joe Redfern — Werribee (VFL)

Sam Reid — Coaching GWS

Bret Thornton

Gerald Ugle — Subiaco (WAFL)

HAWTHORN

Dayle Garlett

Brad Sewell

Max Bailey — Retired, coaching RIC

Brent Guerra — Chelsea (Peninsula FL)

Michael Osborne — Retired, coaching CAR

Ciaran Kilkenny*

Derick Wanganeen*

Ben Ross* — Pascoe Vale (EDFL)

Andrew Boseley*

Amos Frank*

MELBOURNE

Dom Barry — NT Thunder (NEAFL)

Shannon Byrnes — Casey (VFL), coaching MEL

Mitch Clisby

Michael Evans

Daniel Nicholson

James Strauss

Luke Tapscott

Aaron Davey — Palmerston (NTFL)

Troy Davis

David Rodan

James Sellar

Tom Gillies

Rory Taggert

Josh Tynan

Joel McDonald

Alex Georgiou* — Norwood (SANFL)

Tom Couch* — Bell Park (Geelong FL)

James Magner* — Port Melbourne (VFL)

Nathan Stark*

NORTH MELBOURNE

Liam Anthony — East Fremantle (WAFL)

Tom Curran

Taylor Hine — Williamstown (VFL)

Mitch Wilkins — Norwood (SANFL)

Jordan Gysberts

Will Sierakowski

Ben Speight — Werribee (VFL)

Ayden Kennedy

Ben Mabon

Tim McGenniss* — Somerville (Nepean FL)

Cameron Richardson*

PORT ADELAIDE

Dom Cassisi — Retired

Campbell Heath — Bairnsdale (Gippsland FL)

Cam Hitchcock

Lewis Stevenson — Sydney University (NEAFL)

Nick Salter

Daniel Stewart

Nathan Blee

Brett Ebert

Justin Hoskin

Brent Renouf*

Danny Butcher* — Port Adelaide (SANFL)

Darren Pfeiffer*

RICHMOND

Aaron Edwards — Frankston Pines (Peninsula FL)

Brad Helbig — West Adelaide (SANFL)

Dan Jackson — Retired

Jake King — Retired

Brett O’Hanlon — Edithvale Aspendale (Peninsula FL)

Shane Tuck — Goodwood Saints (SA Amos)

Steven Verrier

Orren Stephenson* — North Ballarat (VFL)

Todd Banfield*

Ben Darrou* — South Adelaide (SANFL)

Cadeyn Williams* — Box Hill (VFL)

ST KILDA

Trent Dennis-Lane — Sandringham (VFL)

Sam Dunell — Williamstown (VFL)

Lenny Hayes — Sorrento (Peninsula FL)

Clint Jones — Sandringham (VFL)

Beau Maister — Claremont (WAFL)

Terry Milera — Glenelg (SANFL)

Jason Blake — Retired

Justin Koschitzke — Retired

Tom Ledger

Jay Lever — Geelong (VFL)

Stephen Milne — Strathfieldsaye (Bendigo FL)

Jordan Staley*

Jackson Ferguson*

SYDNEY

Jordan Lockyer — Subiaco (WAFL)

Ryan O’Keefe — Retired, coaching ADE

Lewis Roberts-Thomson — Retired

Tommy Walsh — Ireland

Jude Bolton — Retired, Media

Alex Brown — Port Melbourne (VFL)

Martin Mattner — Retired, coaching SYD

Mitch Morton — Retired

Patrick Mitchell*

WEST COAST

Jacob Brennan — East Fremantle (WAFL)

Adam Carter — South Fremantle (WAFL)

Dean Cox — Retired, coaching WCE

Ash Smith

Darren Glass — Retired, coaching ADE

Blayne Wilson

Bradd Dalziell — East Fremantle (WAFL)

Brad Dick

Andrew Embley — retired

Ashton Hams

Daniel Kerr — retired

Cale Morton — Coburg (VFL)

Mark Nicoski

Adam Selwood

WESTERN BULLDOGS

Nick Lower — Footscray (VFL)

Lukas Makovic — Footscray (VFL)

Christian Howard — Glenelg (SANFL)

Tom Williams — retired, player management

Tom Young — Sydney University (NEAFL)

Patrick Veszpremi

Mark Austin* — Footscray (VFL)

Daniel Giansiracusa — retired, coaching WB

Alex Greenwood* — Footscray (VFL)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

@Stevo7AFL: Can reveal a handful of Essendon's "Replacements" ... Clinton Jones, Mitch Brown and Jared Petrenko ... All the news on @7NewsMelbourne

I forgot that Milney and Blakey etc.. could technically play. I very much doubt any of them would want to play for another club even if it was temporarily.

So, so far...
"The Replacements"

FB: (James Gwilt) - Michael Hartley - XXXX
HB: XXXX - XXXX - XXX
CR: (Jayden Laverde) - (Brendon Goddard) - XXXX
HF: Jared Petrenko - Mitch Brown - (Kyle Langford)
FF: (Paul Chapman) - (Shaun McKernan*) - XXXX
RK: (Jonathan Giles) - Clint Jones - (Adam Cooney)
IC: XXXX - XXXX - XXXX - XXXX
Its got the makings of a half decent side actually... what is true, is that we absolutely CAN NOT lose to this cobbled-together mob representing that odious s**t of a club.

The media circle jerk gush-fest would be simply insufferable.

Last edited:
Apparently it's confirmed on Facebook, Jonesy will be playing for the Bummerjabbers in the NAB.

Some of the lines on FB about his appointment are gold. :D

One guy said, "Let's hope he takes his lighter with him!" And our own kosifantutti remarked, "Finally we'll get to see him hit some of our blokes on the chest."

Apparently it's confirmed on Facebook, Jonesy will be playing for the Bummerjabbers in the NAB.

Some of the lines on FB about his appointment are gold. :D

One guy said, "Let's hope he takes his lighter with him!" And our own kosifantutti remarked, "Finally we'll get to see him hit some of our blokes on the chest."
Just to be clear, I wouldn't write that on Facebook. I hoped every one of the good people at Saintsational would realise it was a joke.

I have no problem with Essendon continuing as a club if found guilty just not in the AFL.

If guilty, they have cheated the entire competition, they've cheated those that played against them and who's livelihood might have depended on their performance against an Essendon side that was doped up, to top it off the club has not shown an ounce of humility and has outright refused to accept responsibility for the actions of it's employees, they've fought the process at every stage with the backing of their members. If any club has brought the game into disrepute it is Essendon, a line must be drawn, why should a club like Fitzroy be forced out of the league over what amounts to nothing and a club like Essendon gets to stay?

If it was St Kilda we wouldn't even be having this discussion the AFL would already have culled us for it.

I've been calling Essendon the St Kilda Retirement Village for two years now. I think they're taking it seriously now.

But, hey, having two Sandy players playing in the same NAB Challenge game as us could be handy.

I love it. We cannot lose now. We can always ask those guys to do a turnover or 2, if they want to keep their spot in the sandy side :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back