Opinion Our coaches, leadership, game style, and everything else

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty tough on Horse, we have some of the best players in certain spots but as a whole our list is not currently better than say Hawthorn. Yet we are not too far off them. Exciting teams like say the Bulldogs, Adelaide and West Coast still haven't really proven anything with their game plan either. Needs balance. Our defensive mindset is pretty important and if the forward players ever get enough time on the ground together then the forward line probably can function and become a high scoring unit. When we have had injury deficencies we have relied on what we do best and defend. I think the coaches have done a decent job but obviously there is room for improvement. I would like to see a new assistant come in with an attacking mindset but not at the cost of what we have built as a sustainable winning environment. Somebody to take the forwards to a new level without messing with the two way run and ability to win the non centre clearances. I'm one of the worst with negativity towards the Swans but there is still plenty of upside with a tweak or two without a complete overhaul of the game plan.

I like the first part - still not sold on the second but it is always hard to judge them until they take control

I dont like the second part

Unless Dew goes through an open interview process with other candidates

If he were still the best then fine

longmire stayed under roos for the best part of 10 years when longmire took over was there a difference in approach?
We attacked more than we stopped attacking...

When we recruited Franklin and Tippet on the back of the premiership, I thought to myself oh my... we're going to be such a high scoring side now (we already were pretty good), and with our defence we should win quite a lot now. Oh how wrong I was...

We attacked more than we stopped attacking...

That is the thing I can't work out.

He freed them up. Voila Premiership. Then he locked it all down again after getting more potent forwards.

I really do not get it.

Brilliant article.

Sh.t article!

It's all about giving yourself the best chance to win the flag.
We've done that by finishing top 4 in the last 4 years for 1 p'ship, 2 GFs, 3 prelims & have gone through to the second week at least each of those years.
In two of those years, we have been decimated by injury, 2013 & 2015.

The Grand finalists the last 4 years are:
2012 Hawks Swans..................Swans Premiers.
2013 Hawks Freo.....................Hawks Premiers
2014 Swans Hawks..................Hawks Premiers
2015 Freo, Hawks, West Coast, Noirth to fight it out.

So in a competition that is supposed to share the success around, The Hawks Swans & Freo have featured regularly at the pointy end with our poor kicking robbing us of the opportunity to beat Freo.

Yep!
Let's change the coach.........................................RIGHT NOW!:rolleyes:

Horse is an accomplished enough coach to change. If we removed him we'd be a laughing stock. It's be like the Saints dropping Stan Alves after making a GF and a Prelim in consecutive seasons.

When we recruited Franklin and Tippet on the back of the premiership, I thought to myself oh my... we're going to be such a high scoring side now (we already were pretty good), and with our defence we should win quite a lot now. Oh how wrong I was...
thats the thing thats so hard to fathom
add franklin to any side surely their scoring goes up right?

Sh.t article!

We've done that by finishing top 4 in the last 4 years for 1 p'ship, 2 GFs, 3 prelims & have gone through to the second week at least each of those years.

So in a competition that is supposed to share the success around, The Hawks Swans & Freo have featured regularly at the pointy end with our poor kicking robbing us of the opportunity to beat Freo.

Yep!
Let's change the coach.........................................RIGHT NOW!:rolleyes:
its not the result its how we seem to getting worse in skills and scoring as every year goes by, why does our midfield look so tired during the pointy end of the season i think they cant sustain the tackling contested style week in week out.

No disrespect to Goodes & Shaw, but it's amazing how young players come 'out of their shell' when well respected figures at the club move on.
Players often hide behind the aura of a star of the club. Even when Buddy comes back, he will come across to his team mates as a mere mortal, after succumbing to his mental demons. It can only strengthen the bond between the playing group when the average player at our club realises that Buddy needs them more than they need Buddy off field & on field.

Even the coaching group can make decisions based around these strong club legends & they are not always the right ones. It happened when Plugger made a comeback. It happened in the early rounds of 2014 when we were a mess.
Give the coaches the chance to restructure now that Goodes & Shaw are finished.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sh.t article!

Yep!
The author does say that it'd be ridiculous if the swans pulled the plug on Horse, in fact it'll probably one of the more bizarre sackings in the history of the league. But the author does have a point, we lack motivation or at least I agree with that. The hunger we had back in 2012 and even 2013 has been long lost.

Sh.t article!

Yep!
I thought the article was actually really interesting. The headline about sacking Longmire is purely click bait to get people in, but if you read through the analysis I think the author raises a lot of good points. He also pretty clearly states that Longmire definitely won't be sacked, but we shouldn't be shy about talking through potential improvements. As others have mentioned, we've added plenty of fire power over the past couple of years, and gone backwards in scoring at the same time.

Spot on

We beat who we should but we were not a top 4 side this year really, anyone decent and we struggled

Lost to freo twice, hawthorn and eagles both killed us, north, bulldogs and richmond all beat us at home

We were the pretenders

Sh.t article!

Yep!

Decimated ? Hardly

Will take us falling out of the 8 for some to see reality i suspect

The players are too good for that to happen I think. If Ted slides too much and Buddy is stuffed for a year and we can't get a ruck then maybe.

Core of the side is strong though and they will bully the lesser lights still.

Still cannot cop the injury excuse. Of course it was not ideal but it does not explain 51 points and the struggles we had for a lot of the year against the good sides.

The players are too good for that to happen I think. If Ted slides too much and Buddy is stuffed for a year and we can't get a ruck then maybe.

Core of the side is strong though and they will bully the lesser lights still.

Still cannot cop the injury excuse. Of course it was not ideal but it does not explain 51 points and the struggles we had for a lot of the year against the good sides.

Id give a bit of a pass for the last game but still say it was piss poor not to score and it exposed the depth which is our own fault

But we had a relatively injury fit year so shoud never of been in a semi at anz week 2

We did not perform well enough simple as that

Yet to see one comment from horse to suggest he is taking blame or sees an issue with how we play

Remove this Banner Ad

Back