Teams Philadelphia Eagles - The Gold Standard

Remove this Banner Ad

The explanation of that 3rd down play is a good one & certainly helped me in understanding why it was run there, looked real bad on the day though so not unexpected that there was going to be some backlash.

Exactly. People talking about why we were in the gun, or why wasn't Polk in, etc ... can see why the coaching staff went with what they did.

People certainly apologise for Chip Kelly a lot more than they do most coaches.

The fact that Peters was supposedly the one that caused that play to be stuffed doesn't change the fact it was a poor play call. When you're 3rd and an inch, get the QB under centre and put faith in your offensive line. I don't mind if it's a keeper, or whether it goes to McCoy or Polk - putting the QB under centre on 3rd and very, very short is the most surefire way of getting that inch. We didn't need the whole yard for the TD - we need a couple of centimetres. Of course the inside zone is our bread and butter - it doesn't change the fact that we overcomplicate things in the red zone, and that inside zone hasn't been working in the red zone.

It was a poor play call.

Lol what. Did you read any part of that. The play call was fine. The EXECUTION was the issue. Peters blocks Foote, its an easy TD. Then you would be praising Chip for such a smart play call. It's also noted that especially for us, a shotgun run is just as quick hitting as something under centre.

Lol what. Did you read any part of that. The play call was fine. The EXECUTION was the issue. Peters blocks Foote, its an easy TD. Then you would be praising Chip for such a smart play call. It's also noted that especially for us, a shotgun run is just as quick hitting as something under centre.

It should also be noted that we've had significantly more success this year running under centre than from shotgun.

And did you read my post?

The fact that Peters was supposedly the one that caused that play to be stuffed doesn't change the fact it was a poor play call.

I'm a fan of Chip Kelly, but I'm never going to be the type that tickles his balls while he pisses on my face.

I've always said that Eagles fans as far removed as we are in Australia could stand to be a bit more objective.

Do you reckon that "shotgun run being just as quick hitting as something under centre" is why we're the worst red zone team in the league?

Last edited:
And did you read my post?

I'm a fan of Chip Kelly, but I'm never going to be the type that tickles his balls while he pisses on my face.

I've always said that Eagles fans as far removed as we are in Australia could stand to be a bit more objective.

Do you reckon that "shotgun run being just as quick hitting as something under centre" is why we're the worst red zone team in the league?
But if he executed his block correctly it would've been a successful play. Isn't that the definition of an execution error?

I agree we are so far removed. Which is why we read the opinions of these guys that watch and an exposed to the most eagles stuff possible.

But if he executed his block correctly it would've been a successful play. Isn't that the definition of an execution error?

I agree we are so far removed. Which is why we read the opinions of these guys that watch and an exposed to the most eagles stuff possible.

As you've already been told, theoretically any well-designed play is the right play at the right time if executed properly. But players don't always execute properly, which is why you should be calling plays that give you the highest probability of success.

If you're 3rd and an inch at the end of a game with scores tied, you're looking for the one play in your book that will get you 1 inch the most times.

Forget the execution. Yes, clearly if Peters had executed the right block, we'd probably have scored. But the play calling left more open to chance than would've been the case if they'd put the QB under centre IMO.

But you don't think an inside/split zone is our best play? It's the basis of our whole offence...

Clearly it's not been successful in the Red Zone. And no, it's not our best play to get 1 inch.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/v...b-Scores/abd168a9-0ca8-477e-89f5-b47a5be48444

pretty cool insight.

players need to execute plays, if they execute and its not successful, then you can question the playcall, but no play is successful without players executing their role. if the play in question was run from under center and peters missed his blocking assignment, I think the result would have been similar.

Needing a yard for a td, I think the playcall for our most practiced play, which has the highest likelihood of being executed, is a good one.

players need to execute plays, if they execute and its not successful, then you can question the playcall, but no play is successful without players executing their role. if the play in question was run from under center and peters missed his blocking assignment, I think the result would have been similar.

Needing a yard for a td, I think the playcall for our most practiced play, which has the highest likelihood of being executed, is a good one.

We can "what if" all we like about what would've happened with a different play call. The point I'm making is about probability. When you need 1 inch, I'd argue there's a far greater probability of getting an inch from under centre than there was running the play we did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We can "what if" all we like about what would've happened with a different play call. The point I'm making is about probability. When you need 1 inch, I'd argue there's a far greater probability of getting an inch from under centre than there was running the play we did.

I disagree because of 3 reasons, under center is not our bread and butter, its used as a change up. Also playing smash mouth football with Molk, kelly, and herremans with 1 arm is not what I would consider an advantageous situation. With a healthy line I think it maybe worth consideration. Also I think that under center at the goal line would remove the threat of the pass (I have never seen this offense pass under center in these situations) , making us 1 dimensional, allowing the d to just send the house

I disagree because of 3 reasons, under center is not our bread and butter, its used as a change up. Also playing smash mouth football with Molk, kelly, and herremans with 1 arm is not what I would consider an advantageous situation. With a healthy line I think it maybe worth consideration. Also I think that under center at the goal line would remove the threat of the pass (I have never seen this offense pass under center in these situations) , making us 1 dimensional, allowing the d to just send the house

Good post man - we'll have to agree to disagree, but I appreciate good, well thought out arguments far more than hysterical "you're wrong!" responses.

I guess I'd only say that a back up O-line is still surely able to get a push on for an inch. But I take the point, and it's difficult to argue.

God will this seasons frustrations never end. Foles- if you're going backwards do not throw the ball. Full stop. Damn.

Huff- this is a premature call that's probably gonna bite me, but I feel like he's shown absolutely nothing to deserve that third round pick. Seems to be directly responsible for atleast one turn over a week, makes practically no plays to offset it, and we've seen better receivers that were drafted afterwards (Brown anyone?).

Ok, good win. Dallas can tell you how hard it is to win with your back up quarterback in the game.

Few things that stood out:

Sanchez is a very good back up. But that's probably where I think his ceiling stays. Good game- 200+ yards, 2tds, 2int. One of those picks was on Huff, but another was a terrible decision and throw, and he probably could have had 2-3 more ints. Foles and the pick 6 were frustrating as hell, but I probably feel like he remains our best option going forward.

Polk is the option on short yardage, and needs more carries. He brings a physicality to our run game that is otherwise missing. Will form a great 1-2 punch with McCoy, with Sproles able to still do some of that third down and change of pace work.

Cooper a complete non entity with Sanchez in the game.

Maclin- wow. Is living up to everything that some of the people in this thread said he would be before the season. Glad to see it. Now pay him.

Defense- generally good coverage, though we still get killed on crossing routes. Finish your sacks! Could have had 3-4 more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back