Player Watch Pick #12 (2018) - Zak Butters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it's a keeping options open extension the club would've wanted a longer term. I don't blame him I'd wanna see how things pan out with Hinkley if I was him, if the same old s**t happens I'd piss off back to Victoria when it's up too.
Problem is he is a Hinkley fan boy. Even mentions Ken in the extension article.

This is why we pulled out of a Grundy play. Spend your bickies where it counts most.

We have 4 A-Grade midfielders for the next 3 years at least- we are locked and loaded.

Great news. I will love watching Zac, Connor and Jason tear the opposition a new one at least until the end of 2024.

This is why we pulled out of a Grundy play. Spend your bickies where it counts most.

We have 4 A-Grade midfielders for the next 3 years at least- we are locked and loaded.

Great news. I will love watching Zac, Connor and Jason tear the opposition a new one at least until the end of 2024.
Pretty sure Grundy pulled out of a Port play.

Don’t know if it’s good or not.
If there’s anyone you would sign for 5-7 years it’s Butters.
An extra 2 is nice but I think Tasmania are more pleased about it than I am.

Problem is he is a Hinkley fan boy. Even mentions Ken in the extension article.
Things can change quickly.
I think the effection for stinkley is largely contrived, controlling the narrative type stuff to stay in power. A bit like politics. I maintain that both Koch and stinkley are frauds and the layers will eventually peel off and see these guys exposed. Sooner or later players will get sick of the stinkly lovefest and will want to win a premiership that's when things will change for these manipulators.

Last edited:
Don’t know if it’s good or not.
If there’s anyone you would sign for 5-7 years it’s Butters.
An extra 2 is nice but I think Tasmania are more pleased about it than I am.
I imagine we wanted to sign him up for as long as possible. He’s keeping his options open. Which is probably smart by his management.

Clearly keeping the door open for a barnburner next contract. I suspect we will see Conner go longer term. The Ken stuff is absolutely something the clubs media managers would be pushing out to combat the negativity around him. Ultimately you can't view anything that comes south of the club or it's current players as anything like their actual personal views. Expecting anything else is crazy. You just ask that they don't pull a Dixon and slug the supporters while they're doing it.

Well done Zac. 3 more seasons of prime Butters hopefully.

Probably keeping his options open a bit like Boak and Wines in their first 2 or 3 contracts. But he is also backing himself in to be even more hot property in 3 years time, which is exciting because he's just had an unbelievable season so if he had any concerns that he has already reached his ceiling he probably would've taken a longer term deal.

I imagine we wanted to sign him up for as long as possible. He’s keeping his options open. Which is probably smart by his management.
It wouldn't just be keeping his options open, it's possibly also a stepping stone to a major pay day. If he backs up his 2023 over the next couple of years he'll well and truly earn that big $1mil+ contract.

Who is the 4th?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It wouldn't just be keeping his options open, it's possibly also a stepping stone to a major pay day. If he backs up his 2023 over the next couple of years he'll well and truly earn that big $1mil+ contract.
I don’t disagree. But I think that we would have offered $1mil+ this time around. I could be wrong

Isn't the CBA where the Players Assoc is looking at a share of sponsor revenue on the horizon.

He's got to be on good coin now but if ^ gets up he's going to be seriously well off. Deserves to be too.

I don’t disagree. But I think that we would have offered $1mil+ this time around. I could be wrong
He'd certainly be around the mark with this one (I reckon $900k ish but who knows), but I mean the true big money long term contract. Free agency is when the big deals come out, if he backs up his 2023 and gets big offers through 2025 and 2026 he can really cash in.

Guys like Butters are going to make heaps of money no matter what, if they're really smart they choose a club that's got a good chance of winning a flag because long term that 'premiership player' next to your name is going to mean more and probably open up better post football opportunities as well.

Guys like Butters are going to make heaps of money no matter what, if they're really smart they choose a club that's got a good chance of winning a flag because long term that 'premiership player' next to your name is going to mean more and probably open up better post football opportunities as well.

Moving doesn’t always mean you will win one

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Probably depends on the player, some just want the medal and will happily parachute into a top side just to get it, some would want to be part of the club that built its way up to earn a premiership. Zak certainly seems to be the club oriented type at this point, but that may change once the big offers start flowing.

I think we would have offered as much as we could possibly afford.

There’s the thing about Tasmania building a decent side Zak could very easily be someone who you look at as a marquee player and Captain.

It’s 3 years down the track anything can happen but Zak would be on the shortlist if I were building a side from scratch and I would be making his management aware of it now.

Are you suggesting Coached by Ken Hinkley isn't a key to the city? ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back