Player Watch Pick #16 (2016) - Todd Marshall

Remove this Banner Ad

Been a Todd Marshall fan since day one, but I think he needs a Lord. Todd is better as a creative second forward and that can move around a bit more than a Hawkins. Unless he becomes the Richmond Riewoldt (and even then they still brought in that other guy, geez my memory turns to poo after a few wines) I can’t see Marshall ever being the number one forward.

Been a Todd Marshall fan since day one, but I think he needs a Lord. Todd is better as a creative second forward and that can move around a bit more than a Hawkins. Unless he becomes the Richmond Riewoldt (and even then they still brought in that other guy, geez my memory turns to poo after a few wines) I can’t see Marshall ever being the number one forward.
It's weird cos that other guy (Tom Lynch) is actually who Todd said he looked up to and modelled his game on. I think he's far too slender to ever be able to have the power that Lynch has though.

What is the definition of a number 1 kf?

If it’s your best kf, then he’s been our number 1 kf for a couple of years and will be for the foreseeable future.

People saying Todd can’t be the number 1 kf after he’s been doing it for years is like telling people we will never put a man on the moon over half a century after we’ve done it.

It's weird cos that other guy (Tom Lynch) is actually who Todd said he looked up to and modelled his game on. I think he's far too slender to ever be able to have the power that Lynch has though.

Todds been pushing people off and taking marks for years tho, he’s been plenty strong enough to compete, and he’s looking even bigger this year than ever, particularly in the all important hips / core area.

In the end, we don’t want him becoming too big… big strong Dixon’s wrestling style has done us zero favours and we’ve been screaming for us to have a mobile kf that actually doesn’t have to rely on winning a 3-1 because wrestling matches invite 3rd up types to come across.

And in the end we’ve got a plethora of matches that can complement Todd, between the diminishing returns from Dixon, up and coming lord and prospect Scully in the wings. Not too mention Georgiades.

The beauty of Todd is he’s big enough to compete with big defenders, but too smart, mobile and skilled for them, he’s far too dangerous a tall to put a medium defender on, and he’s going to match well with any other kf we want to pair with him.

Match up problem for other teams while on our side he makes picking other kfs to play with him easy.

What is the definition of a number 1 kf?

If it’s your best kf, then he’s been our number 1 kf for a couple of years and will be for the foreseeable future.

People saying Todd can’t be the number 1 kf after he’s been doing it for years is like telling people we will never put a man on the moon over half a century after we’ve done it.

Todds been pushing people off and taking marks for years tho, he’s been plenty strong enough to compete, and he’s looking even bigger this year than ever, particularly in the all important hips / core area.

In the end, we don’t want him becoming too big… big strong Dixon’s wrestling style has done us zero favours and we’ve been screaming for us to have a mobile kf that actually doesn’t have to rely on winning a 3-1 because wrestling matches invite 3rd up types to come across.

And in the end we’ve got a plethora of matches that can complement Todd, between the diminishing returns from Dixon, up and coming lord and prospect Scully in the wings. Not too mention Georgiades.

The beauty of Todd is he’s big enough to compete with big defenders, but too smart, mobile and skilled for them, he’s far too dangerous a tall to put a medium defender on, and he’s going to match well with any other kf we want to pair with him.

Match up problem for other teams while on our side he makes picking other kfs to play with him easy.
Todd mentioned in a recent interview that he's always been strong in the legs and hips but that he has built up his upper body now and is nothing the difference

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Todd is as much a victim of our dumb forward system as anyone. When Dixon was out and we couldn't play Hinkley's preferred hospital chaos ball style, he thrived. Hopefully most of his prime is spent with a coach who has some idea of how a forward line should work.

I'm not overthinking it.

A guy who can dominate and help win games.

A guy who you can rely on who will generally beat his man.

A guy who kicks bags. Top 5, maybe Top 10 in goal scoring.

You know them when you see them.

You’re confusing number 1 kf with top kf in the game.

If a number 1 kf is a guy who is top 5 in the league in goal scoring quite literally only 5 teams in the league out of 18 have that.

Is the pass mark for all other 18 positions to be top 5 in a key stat as well? Must butter be top 5 in clearances, our ruck top 5 in hitouts , Alir top 5 in intercept marks? Houston to be top 5 in metres gained? Rozee to be top 5 in possessions?

I’ve been banging on for years how port fans apply weird standards to kfs that they don’t apply to any other position

That’s all we’re asking for.

He's not and never will be a top 10 KPF in the game. But that's ok. Neither Melbourne or Collingwood had top 10 KPFs when they won flags. Despite the media narrative around the tortured genius that is Hinkley and his holes, you don't need the All Australian team to win a flag.

In 2022 (when Dixon was out of the way for most of the season and he got a run at being the number 1 option), Marshall was top 10 amongst key forwards in the league for average goals, marks, marks inside 50 and scoring accuracy. I'd argue that makes him a top 10 KPF in the league for that season.

And the team was dogshit and our forward structure was still dogshit, it was just less dogshit because we didn't rely on lumping the ball to Dixon.

Marshall is a gun. If we get a good coach who can get our forward line working well, he'll kick a lot of goals and can absolutely be a top 10 KPF. And I think Georgiades is potentially better if not quite as clever or versatile.

You’re confusing number 1 kf with top kf in the game.

If a number 1 kf is a guy who is top 5 in the league in goal scoring quite literally only 5 teams in the league out of 18 have that.

Is the pass mark for all other 18 positions to be top 5 in a key stat as well? Must butter be top 5 in clearances, our ruck top 5 in hitouts , Alir top 5 in intercept marks? Houston to be top 5 in metres gained? Rozee to be top 5 in possessions?

I’ve been banging on for years how port fans apply weird standards to kfs that they don’t apply to any other position
As usual on BF, we are pretty much "arguing" in agreeance.

Yeah, I would like our number 1 KPF to be a top KPF. I would like that a lot.

According to your logic, technically every team has a number 1 key forward because every team has tall forwards and one of them is going to be the best banana of the bunch. That is not saying much at all.

I like forwards that kick goals. It is a pretty good indicator of a good forward.

And when it comes to winning the Big Dance, you need a lot of talent and how that is dispersed around the ground is the way it is. Coaching plays a big part in getting the most out of the talent wherever it is on the ground. You can peruse the recent teams of Collingwood and Melbourne who don't have a dominant forward but you can also cast your eyes to the dynasties of Hawthorn and Richmond and even Geelong and see two number 1 key talls.

In terms of make up, I feel like our talent spread will be similar to the West Coast teams of the early 200s.

Maybe Todd will become Batman this year but at the moment, he is an awesome Robin, we will see.

I'm just not overthinking it.

And I kinda get the feeling that the Big Dance paragraph is going to get a workout. :poo::devil::greenalien:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In 2022 (when Dixon was out of the way for most of the season and he got a run at being the number 1 option), Marshall was top 10 amongst key forwards in the league for average goals, marks, marks inside 50 and scoring accuracy. I'd argue that makes him a top 10 KPF in the league for that season.

And the team was dogshit and our forward structure was still dogshit, it was just less dogshit because we didn't rely on lumping the ball to Dixon.

Marshall is a gun. If we get a good coach who can get our forward line working well, he'll kick a lot of goals and can absolutely be a top 10 KPF. And I think Georgiades is potentially better if not quite as clever or versatile.

I think it was this year when the Forum was lamenting Dixon being injured and old and we were worried about the next KPF and I am pretty sure it was you who reminded me that Marshall was great when Dixon was out and our structure looked 100 times better.

I was going to put it in the last post but I wonder how the forward line will function, not when Dixon is not playing but when he is not on the list anymore.

Has anyone noticed the cricket players seemed to have perfected the art of falling backwards with a stiff back and neck to avoid the head sling action.

I get footy is faster and with contact but surely there is something to be taken from this if it can be implemented at all

I don't get to see too much cricket nowadays but IIRC Marshall's issues were more related to strong contact with other players both initiated by the other player and sometimes himself.

Another who needs a big finals campaign.

obviously was affected by his hip late last year but His hands in those finals were shocking.

still not convinced he can be a dominant number 1 that we need.

He's not and never will be a top 10 KPF in the game. But that's ok. Neither Melbourne or Collingwood had top 10 KPFs when they won flags. Despite the media narrative around the tortured genius that is Hinkley and his holes, you don't need the All Australian team to win a flag.
Collingwood's line of Frampton, Mihocek, and Cox/Cameron would have to be the worst premiership KPF lineup on paper (although I do rate Mihocek) - but they played their role and got the job done.

With a forward line that could consist of Marshall, Georgiades, Finlayson, Dixon/Lord do we really need one of them to be top 5 in the league for goal scoring? There is more than enough spread there to kick winning scores, and it is about how many we kick in total and not what an individual scores.

Taylor Walker kicked 76 goals last year, which was quite impressive for a 33 year old but i don't think it is anything for Crows fans to hang their hat on. His big tally meant they weren't getting enough from Fogarty and Thilthorpe, which is their future. Tay Tay is just about cooked, very soon they'll need to find where those 76 goals are going to come from in the event his biological clock inevitably catches up with him.

Our spread of options and not heavily reliant on one or 2 key talls is our strength not our weakness. If they all kicked around 40 goals we would be laughing.

With a forward line that could consist of Marshall, Georgiades, Finlayson, Dixon/Lord do we really need one of them to be top 5 in the league for goal scoring? There is more than enough spread there to kick winning scores, and it is about how many we kick in total and not what an individual scores.

It's definitely quantity over quality. All of those guys are capable of kicking 4 in a given week but all of them are also capable of not getting anywhere near the prune or kicking 0.4 and a couple out on the full. We lack reliable forwards with the possible exception of Rioli.

It's definitely quantity over quality. All of those guys are capable of kicking 4 in a given week but all of them are also capable of not getting anywhere near the prune or kicking 0.4 and a couple out on the full. We lack reliable forwards with the possible exception of Rioli.

I still rate Marshall and georgiades highly. I think they’ve still got so much room for improvement too but I just don’t think we need them to kick massive bags because I think it’s better to have multiple avenues to goal. Helps manage the risk of injury too, I still have Dixon best 22 but in an ideal world lord takes his chances when Dixon is injured and makes him redundant. Contrary to popular belief I don’t think we’ve quite got to that point yet though.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back