Player Watch Pick #16 (2016) - Todd Marshall

Remove this Banner Ad

Wasn't the same after his concussion this year. Is our best when he is going but really hope he can stay concussion free for the rest of his career and find some consistency.

Seems like possibly a risk we didn't need to take.
How much was that the concussions or how much was the hip injury he was carrying?

Good call by Port, makes him the long term focus of the forward line. Marshall will need to get use to the position as the number 1 tall forward, particularly given Dixon is probably going to retire this year.

How much was that the concussions or how much was the hip injury he was carrying?

Good call by Port, makes him the long term focus of the forward line. Marshall will need to get use to the position as the number 1 tall forward, particularly given Dixon is probably going to retire this year.
I really hope it was the hip injury as that's much more fixable.

Love Todd but a 5 year deal given his concussion history is high risk.

What risk is there for the club? You realise if he retires due to injury his salary isn’t on the cap.

I cannot get excited by a five year deal as I reckon a two year deal would have been a lower risk.

Ken has two years left and a new Coach might have different ideas re Todd. I would hate to think that a Coach in his last years at Alberton is shaping our list and committing us to risky long term deals.

Good luck to Todd but hmmmm.

Lol absolutely no club in the league would have been dumb enough to try to sign him for 2 years. As someone else already said, he would be playing elsewhere as an offer like that would be pushing him out the door.

Imagine having guys like mcintee getting 2 years when no one else would touch them and thinking Todd would sign for that.

My only concern with this is his history of concussion and the potential for an early retirement but as others have said we pretty much had to offer him a deal like this so can't complain too much.

Question: If for whatever reason Marshall was forced early retirement (concussion). I assume we would have to pay out his contract. If so, is that a loss from the total salary cap or can that part be void and then used on other players?

Yeah people seem to have completely forgotten this one.

A player retiring from injury does not have their full salary on the books.

Clearly hip. It was widely talked about and obvious he couldn’t kick through the ball.

Its a very good signing. Todd is in the perfect age demographic, he makes the most of his opportunities on goal and he is smart and skilled at spotting up opportunities. One would hope he is a 2 goal plus per game forward for the next 5 years based on his injury free performances over the last couple of seasons. Those players are valuable.

His concussion history is a concern and one hopes he has been working on protecting his head in the off season especially when coming to ground. At the same time I would be thrilled if he could continue to work on his contested marking and he were able to add more functional body strength.

As it stands with he and Georgiades signed to long term contracts, Finlayson as a dangerous tall forward option for the next several years and Lord and Scully young and developing, our tall(ish) forward stocks look good for the next few years at least.

We have SPP and Rioli as quality small/medium forwards. If we are smart about rotating Rozee, JHF and Butters through our forward line and can find another diamond or two in the rough from our other recruits we are looking alright in terms of scoring power and defensive capability. We may even be able to draft or recruit another in the near future.

Whether our gameplan and wise selection choices takes full advantage of the cattle we have available remains to be seen of course.

Marshall will likely be our number one tall forward for the next five years taking the oppositions best key forward. I look forward to seeing what he can do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon the hip injury had a lot to do with his issues last year. He went from being probably the most accurate kick for goal we've had since Schulz left, to a complete lottery.

Tbf it's like an issue for every player at Port.

Dixon came to the club as one of the best set shot kicks at Gold Coast.

Georgiades key strength in his draft profile was his elite set shot and routine.

Jeremy Finlayson went from like top 3 in the AFL for accuracy to being bottom in the league for Port last season lol.

Georgiades key strength in his draft profile was his elite set shot and routine.

Jeremy Finlayson went from like top 3 in the AFL for accuracy to being bottom in the league for Port last season lol.
Just a coincidence! Kenny can't kick it for em m8!

You’re right about that, but it just seemed to happen overnight with Todd. He didn’t even seem to change his routine when he was kicking, everything looked the same, until it came off the boot. Anyway if he’s injury free now here’s hoping we get 🔥🔥🔥 back.

His good is a decent A-, his typical game is a disappointing C.

As long as the finances work out and he’s paid as a second or third tall it’s a decent signing, if we are paying him as our prime forward it’s a shocker!

I've never heard this "if a player retires his wage doesn't count"

Has always been that it counts...

Is this a new(ish) thing what has come in?

Anyways good to have Marshall tied to a long term deal. Learn to protect ya head toddy!

I've never heard this "if a player retires his wage doesn't count"

Has always been that it counts...
Only if it's due to injury. If it's a regular retirement or delisting, it still counts.

I think the next 5 years is where we get paid back for the investment made in Tod .
The concussion thing is a worry and he needs to not make himself so vulnerable when he launches into packs , he probably thinks he needs to crash the pack and bring the ball to the ground but he opens himself up too much .
But as far as his football goes the next 5-6 years should be his best , he’s got the smarts and the skill set just needs the cover from Charlie or Ollie whoever it is

I am a Todd Marshall fan and I hope he continues to play well in the CHF role.

He just has that creative spark and sharp decision making and a smooth kick that really gets the team a great avenue to goal. And then he can kick them himself.

I was happy that he didn't really seem to have any concussion issues when he came back and supposedly modified the way he plays so I hope Todd has a big year without too many complications.

I am a Todd Marshall fan and I hope he continues to play well in the CHF role.

He just has that creative spark and sharp decision making and a smooth kick that really gets the team a great avenue to goal. And then he can kick them himself.

I was happy that he didn't really seem to have any concussion issues when he came back and supposedly modified the way he plays so I hope Todd has a big year without too many complications.
Has anyone noticed the cricket players seemed to have perfected the art of falling backwards with a stiff back and neck to avoid the head sling action.

I get footy is faster and with contact but surely there is something to be taken from this if it can be implemented at all

Remove this Banner Ad

Back