Player Watch Pick #16 (2016) - Todd Marshall

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, my thoughts exactly.
Todd had a couple of bad concussions last season and one, maybe two more might see him out. No one wants to see that happen but it is a risk. I cannot get excited by a five year deal as I reckon a two year deal would have been a lower risk.

Ken has two years left and a new Coach might have different ideas re Todd. I would hate to think that a Coach in his last years at Alberton is shaping our list and committing us to risky long term deals.

Good luck to Todd but hmmmm.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly.
Todd had a couple of bad concussions last season and one, maybe two more might see him out. No one wants to see that happen but it is a risk. I cannot get excited by a five year deal as I reckon a two year deal would have been a lower risk.

Ken has two years left and a new Coach might have different ideas re Todd. I would hate to think that a Coach in his last years at Alberton is shaping our list and committing us to risky long term deals.

Good luck to Todd but hmmmm.
If we'd offered Todd a two year deal he'd be playing somewhere else next year.

I really would like to see Todd play in a forward line where the talls' function is not merely to bring the ball to the ground. So, giving him a couple of years after Ken's contract is up is a good idea.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the fact we seem to be signing the Hinkley kids for periods that should be beyond his tenure here which may mean we are starting to look critically at his role and delivery. These lads signed on, if Hinkley the father figure is arsed, they decide to leave we shall be fairly compensated.

Question: If for whatever reason Marshall was forced early retirement (concussion). I assume we would have to pay out his contract. If so, is that a loss from the total salary cap or can that part be void and then used on other players?

Given he is our most developed KF, makes sense for us to bank him away to match up with the long term deals given to Rozee, JHF etc. Also at 25-26, there is a slight room for improvement in my view.

It is risky given history of concussion, and while 5 years seems like a lot, it's better to have him signed for a slightly longer contract rather than risking us being a key forward short in our next premiership window. If he were to leave, we'd have a significant gap with Dixon retiring and MG/Lord still developing. And whatever we'd pay at the trade table for an equivalent KF would likely be the same salary but inclusive of losing picks.

My only concern with this is his history of concussion and the potential for an early retirement but as others have said we pretty much had to offer him a deal like this so can't complain too much.
I think if a player is forced to retire due to injury their payments count outside the cap anyway, so no real risk there.

My only concern with this is his history of concussion and the potential for an early retirement but as others have said we pretty much had to offer him a deal like this so can't complain too much.
If he retires due to injury wouldnt he sacrafice his salary anyway?
Or worst case scenario he goes on the rookie list

Maybe a reach but I like this more with Tredrea on the board now and being able to provide mentorship

inb4 Donuts won't even let him run an informal goal kicking practice session.

onya Todd, never mind the donuts!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back