Player Watch Pick #29 (2012) - Tom Clurey

Remove this Banner Ad

You've got to laugh. We can potentially get the three out-of-contract targets without doing a single trade, and just taking them with our first three ND draft picks. Keep Duursma in the process and if absolutely necessary get Soldo as a UFA next year. Off-loading Clurey isn't an absolute necessity although might give us a small bonus return of draft picks. We delist Lycett and Fantasia if necessary to create list spots and keep Hayes (if we don't get Soldo).
Clurey is more about getting his contract off the books. We're carrying the DBJ and Clurey contracts till end of 25 and 26. Thats an issue that would be nice to get rid of.

Not sure what the rules are on trades anymore, but could see us taking pick 80 for him.

Clurey is more about getting his contract off the books. We're carrying the DBJ and Clurey contracts till end of 25 and 26. Thats an issue that would be nice to get rid of.

Not sure what the rules are on trades anymore, but could see us taking pick 80 for him.
Lol clureys contract off the books?

The dude would be on milk money.

He signed a 2 year extension when he wasn’t even playing first 22 football. Those years wouldn’t be on much coin at all.

We would be looking to trade him not to get his contract off the books, but because we’re not going to pick him and his list spot could be used.

So has there been any interest in Clurey, Hayes, etc?

Surely Clurey for BZT is fair? And wouldn’t all these teams desperate for a key back, be keen to take Clurey? Best 23 for the Hawks, North, Eagles, Dons, Crows, maybe Saints and Swans too.

And Hayes is probably in the same space as Sweet or Fullarton etc.
Clurey is trash now. How on earth is that fair? He would not play for any of those teams you just listed. Not even close. He would be very deep depth for another team. I won't be surprised if no one wants him.

Don't you think if he was any good now, we would be keeping him as depth? As we are extremely desperate for for KPD's.

Don't you think if he was any good now, we would be keeping him as depth? As we are extremely desperate for for KPD's.

Yes because the club that hasn't won a premiership in any competition for literally decades never gets anything wrong.

I'm not even a Clurey fan but it's obvious to me he's just a slightly older version of Jerk-Thatcher.

Yes because the club that hasn't won a premiership in any competition for literally decades never gets anything wrong.

I'm not even a Clurey fan but it's obvious to me he's just a slightly older version of Jerk-Thatcher.
Absolutely not. Did you see him when he was playing SANFL this year? He looked like he had concrete boots on and was getting slaughtered by everyone who played on him. He was a serviceable a few years ago, now? Not at all. I would legit not pick him in the SANFL side.

So is Tom Clurey staying at the club? He's still contracted I think, but feels like he's kind of been forgotten.

So is Tom Clurey staying at the club? He's still contracted I think, but feels like he's kind of been forgotten.
That kind of sums up Tom’s year, he has basically fallen off the face of the earth.

I think it is super important we move him on tomorrow. We need the list space but there is also no sense in paying him $400-500k per year (assume he’s on an AFL average wage) for two years to clog the list.

Tom Clurey stays as a ready made 5th choice KPD.

Tom Clurey stays as a ready made 5th choice KPD.
He might be our first choice wing.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol our sanfl backline if fit would look good on paper

Pasini McKenzie Marshall clurey

Problem is sanfl is a scrubber mess where tall defenders don’t matter much. Rarely has any key defender ever stood out in the sanfl, at port or the crows really. To think of it i can’t recall a sanfl key defender mature age player standing out and being drafted because of it. If that’s happened maybe a rarity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back