Player Watch Pick #53 (2022) - Tom Scully

Remove this Banner Ad

So what’s the hope and expectation for Tom this year?

And for the keen draft watchers, why didn’t Tom get state games and why did he go at 53?
Some doubts about his application and he began the season well (rounds 1-7) but faded a bit (hence non state selection). Was he only good because of his height?
Reports are that he has applied himself well and is well worth a go at pick 53 in a weak draft.
When he puts on 5-10kg and plays against men then we will see if he is ready for AFL.

Yep post his 4th knee dislocation in preseason 2006 he hardly played in 2006, then 2007, 2008 and a lot of 2009, Ebert and Motlop were arguably bigger targets than Tredders. He looked really good in 2010 and then bang an ankle injury in Rd 7 2010, never to play again.
He had two 6 goal hauls and a 7 by round 8 in 2009. I think he was well and truly our key target by then.

IIRC the ankle injury was friendly fire from 'wrecking ball' Matt Thomas? Never forgiven him for that.

He had two 6 goal hauls and a 7 by round 8 in 2009. I think he was well and truly our key target by then.

IIRC the ankle injury was friendly fire from 'wrecking ball' Matt Thomas? Never forgiven him for that.
You are right, he had a lot better 2009 than my blurred memory recalls. I only remember that dominant game against Richmond and v reigning premiers Hawthorn at the MCG in that dead dolphin guernsey early on in the season clearly. The other games I needed AFL Tables to jog the memory.

You are right, he had a lot better 2009 than my blurred memory recalls. I only remember that dominant game against Richmond and v reigning premiers Hawthorn at the MCG in that dead dolphin guernsey early on in the season clearly. The other games I needed AFL Tables to jog the memory.
I'm no stranger to blurred memory ;) . I will always remember that Richmond game though. 7 goals and a saving defensive mark in the dying seconds. Deserved 4 Brownlow votes.

I'm no stranger to blurred memory ;) . I will always remember that Richmond game though. 7 goals and a saving defensive mark in the dying seconds. Deserved 4 Brownlow votes.
One of the most dominant performances you will ever see. I remember I gave up on us half way through the 3rd, Richmond came out and smashed us that qtr and I thought they'd run away with it. But Wazza put the whole team on his shoulders and won the game off his own boot. That was a true champion player performance 😍

One of the most dominant performances you will ever see. I remember I gave up on us half way through the 3rd, Richmond came out and smashed us that qtr and I thought they'd run away with it. But Wazza put the whole team on his shoulders and won the game off his own boot. That was a true champion player performance 😍
God I miss this. Not just Warren's performances, but a player who cared enough about team success that he refused to let us lose and would, effectively, force all his teammates to step up. Butters prior to his injuries was looking this sort of player, JHF does as well. Certainly none of our senior players (including Wines) have that drive. The sooner Scully and other recent draftees can ditch the 'live the life' senior players to the curb the better.

According to RossFC (thanks for the magpies game updates) 3 goals in the trial yesterday.

Continue to see good signs of a future.
Yep was a big target at full forward in the second half.

RD1-V-CROWS-1.jpg
RD1-V-CROWS-61.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We do have an issue with his development and the fact that our forward line in the sanfl is too stacked with talls.
It's no coincidence we have Lord out Mitch out and Dante doing the majority of the Ruck work suddenly he's a gun. Lord goes back next week I'd try and get Lord down the ground a little and with Dante staying in the Ruck leaving Scully with the forward 50 pretty much his to play with and he'll come along very quickly.

The too many talls structure is very bad for a rookie like Scully.

Last edited:
Tom kicked 4.4 today against West Adelaide and won the Russell Ebert medal. Beast.
It wasn't his goal kicking that impressed me the most, his effort a couple of times to spoil in the last quarter when he was out numbered showed genuine effort and intent. You could see the lad was cooked and could barely raise a gallop but he just willed himself to get to the contest. A couple of pre-seasons and his strength and fitness will improve dramatically.

The thing I’ve been banging on about Scully even well before we drafted him, and I think you guys would have noticed it yesterday, is he has such a great knack of getting to the right position with his body to reach the ball where others can’t.

It’s not strength, it’s not athleticism.

It’s something you can’t teach. And once he puts size on it’s going to make him very dangerous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back