Player Watch Pick #7 (2012) - Ollie Wines

Remove this Banner Ad

Pfft.

He's not even as good as Crouch, O'Meara and Floßtone m8

Cameron+Ling+2011+AFL+Captains+Photocall+2i4TfX_sEbQl.jpg

Wally Vines you say?

He didn't even make the bench in the under 21 team last year... #anotherwastedpick

image.jpg

Will no doubt be ignored again, this time for Patrick Cripps (who is a beast and will be a star, but isn't anywhere near Ollie's current level).

Hard to think where we'd be without Wines and Wingard falling into our laps

Depends how it all played out I guess. If Wines going earlier meant Stringer got through then I could live with that parallel universe. Toumpas not so much...

Difference in Wingard's year is a bit more stark. I quite like Coniglio and acknowledge Tyson and Buntine can play a bit too, but merely solid is a worthy adjective whereas Chad is a different beast. Hoskin-Elliott is cut from the similar 'single-handed matchwinner' cloth, but doesn't really come close in terms of consistency.

He didn't even make the bench in the under 21 team last year... #anotherwastedpick

Think that was just a shitty fan poll IIRC. Only need to take a look at the main board on here to see a sample of the people who would vote in those kind of things. It's more staggering that a guy who played as tough and gritty football as any I've seen completely overlooked an 18 year old who beasted it in those very areas from day one.

Back in 2013, a pretty good case could be made for any of O'Meara, Crouch and Wines for being the pick of the bunch. But Vlastuin and Mullett? Carn.

Hard to think where we'd be without Wines and Wingard falling into our laps
If they hadn't removed the priority picks just as we were in line for them, they'd likely have picked them with those first, then gotten another good player on top of that. Any 'luck' we had with them falling into our laps is more than outweighed by the AFL screwing us over.

View attachment 151527

Will no doubt be ignored again, this time for Patrick Cripps (who is a beast and will be a star, but isn't anywhere near Ollie's current level).
Yeah, Ollie's only moved up from 47th best disposal average last year to 25th so far this year. And 19th contested possession last year to 10th this year. The only other one under 23 in the top 10 is Dion Prestia and he's 22. But yeah, not under 21 AA worthy.

Yeah, Ollie's only moved up from 47th best disposal average last year to 25th so far this year. And 19th contested possession last year to 10th this year. The only other one under 23 in the top 10 is Dion Prestia and he's 22. But yeah, not under 21 AA worthy.
To be fair Cam Guthrie is a superstar. That and the fact his brother is a selector for AFL.com but that is beside the point

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

How #blessed are we to have this champion playing for us.

Imagine being a centre square opponent, knowing that you'd have this 100kg monstrosity pounding into you at every contest.

I actually laughed at his 1:34 tackle; #13 simply monstered.

And right at the death with 20 seconds on the clock, he wrecking balls Maynard out of the marking contest while keeping his feet, follows up with the crumb and kicks for the space in the pocket, sealing our win. Composure, class, clutch, an absolute pleasure to watch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine being a centre square opponent, knowing that you'd have this 100kg monstrosity pounding into you at every contest.

And right at the death with 20 seconds on the clock, he wrecking balls Maynard out of the marking contest while keeping his feet, follows up with the crumb and kicks for the space in the pocket, sealing our win. Composure, class, clutch, an absolute pleasure to watch.

Seems to love playing Collingwood, too!

What a highlight reel!

IMO, Wines is this group's Tredrea: 100% pure footballer with a monster frame that can drag his team over the line almost singlehandedly.

apologies for terrible format

first 100 games of several players and Ollie's first 53** excludes this weekend.

upload_2015-7-12_9-6-40.png

And projecting forward to 100 games if he continues this seasons averages for the next 47 games. ie. doesn't improve

upload_2015-7-12_9-17-36.png

Last edited:
What a highlight reel!

IMO, Wines is this group's Tredrea: 100% pure footballer with a monster frame that can drag his team over the line almost singlehandedly.
And that's why he was the right man to get 16, not that flog Jacobs.

Haha Nathan Brown didnt put Ollie in the best 4 players - Broadie, Adams, Chad, Hoff. Ollie had a wry smile when told that. Just confirms Brown is a plonker.

What a flog Nathan Brown in geez..
Ollie was best on ground against Collingwood .. oh no ... he was not even in the best 4 players..
Matthew Broadbent was best according to Nathan ....o_O:rolleyes::confused::mad:
Could deserve a post in the media shakes head thread, what a knob.

I know Adams had 38 touches but I would've had him on par with Hoff for the last line of voting based on impact on the match, Wines was best & Brogsy was very good especially in the last.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back