Analysis Pies awesome Anzac Day win. Match review

Remove this Banner Ad

Grundy needs to handball when he gets it not kick it, too many turn overs. Gault back to the VFL, try the 2 ruckmen with Witts. Disposal still appalling but let's take the 4 points.

I spotted Grundy taking the pill in a warm up drill, that spilled his way. He ran with it and then kicked for goal. The others didn't seem fussed, although they needed to call for another ball. Looks like he's training that way.

What I'm loving this year is that out of the 3 players in the Beams deal, it's Beams who looks most like the steak knives. How good is Crisp going? I had no idea who or what he was until now and he is seriously making a mockery of the steak knives tag.
i reckon hyne did his homework on crisp.. when went into a meeting with brisbane to strike a deal.. we asked for aish and pick 6.. knowing brisbane were going to tell us where to go.. then we played brisbane's bluff by nonchalantly asking for the crisp deal.. having brisbane think 'well we havent got a choice now if we want a deal done'. i dont think they realised much to their dismay that hyne pert bucks were in the backroom holding AA "pick 6 and crisp' and laughing like a pack of hyenas. onya brisbane you beaaaaaaaaaaaaaaauty!

Broomhead, Oxley & White only negatives out of todays game, all really poor. Broomhead & Oxley especially, consideringboth coming off quite good games
it did look like they were targetting broomhead a lil.. good lesson for the young man, i think he did ok in the end.

Yep agreed.

He has been in the best 3 or 4 players in all matches he has played this year. He has taken the next step and has really filled the void at stoppages left by Ball and Beams.
Adams is going to be a star. I do recall buckley butchering the ball as a kid. Adams reminds me of buks a tad. I love what he did to goddard.. the wave of the future buddy. had i been there in the front seat at the G to witness it.. my beer and pie would have gone flying in the air out of excitement. good stuff adams you lil fox terrier.. stick it up him. gimme more gimme more.

Yesterday I thought it might be worth taking a look at some of the fundamentals of our team. Much of it will appear negative, but that had more to do with Essendon owning the ball for long periods than anything else and seeming to have the momentum for much of the match.

Think of it as a blow by blow of yesterday's game of areas we can improve on and things that really stood out from a positive aspect.

**marks and contested possessions highlighted because they were my keys to success**

Q1: Ramsay cost first goal left his man no impact on the contest. Goldsack dropped chest mark. Zone slow to fold over in transition allowing Essendon easy short options. Adams not giving first option and selling Pendles into trouble (should have been holding the ball). Ramsay same error... Langdon and White fail to take first option back to back and both get caught. Marley blazing away with Swan in space five meters ahead of the play (fortuitous match up for Cloke so it fell out way). 3-1 loss stoppage result (need to win those). Cloke with glacial ball movement kicks straight to direct opponent (Hooker). Fantastic one on one win by Frost. Crisp running very good patterns, but often ignored (outside Goldsack's kick which was a second too slow). Gault with best match up not used enough or average work rate?.

Marks. 30-24
Cont poss. 39-41

They had momentum so to lead is a very good result.

Q2: Seedsman taking stroll in the park ran straight lines and plodded (end result holding the ball). Not capitalizing on repeat inside 50's. Varcoe contesting well. Essendon sharp hands drawing us in (good ball movement not us). White didn't move and ball goes out to him easy pickings for Hurley. Repeat I50's Essendon no impact. Ramsay terrible turnover. Frost dominant defensively. Momentum shift Fletcher goal? (No 2-11 to end of quarter). Starting to get more and more sucked in at contest leaving outriders. Grundy drop Mark allows shot on goal. Brown slow play kick to out number. Langdon perfect tackling technique sets up goal. Ramsay corridor kick turnover. Broomhead perfect hands from contest to release White. Repeat I50's not capitalizing. Grundy diabolical error Essendon don't take full toll.

Marks. 26-17
Cont poss. 40-34

Essendon getting on top, but not putting it on scoreboard.

Q3: Goldsack big fumble lose forward momentum. Grundy less confident to grab it out of ruck this week. Urgency, Langdon need to be on with ball in dispute on goal line. Seedsman goal massive with Essendon pressing having owned territory for previous 3 mins. Langdon again losing concentration almost direct turnover I50 ultimately costs goal. Goldsack keeps feet in contest then wastes possession. Adams clear turnover. Grundy another turnover. Ramsay ball watching needed to contest not overly critical because Daniher would have likely won contest anyway. Elliott brilliant hands sets up Crisp goal (clean). It feels like Essendon have momentum, but just being kept at arms length. Strong hands Cloke then moves it quick stoppage result. Blair blazes away didn't lower eyes to Elliott who had man done cold no score result. Great Williams one on one win v Chapman sets up Swan goal. Momentum shifted we've controlled ball for past 5 mins. Ramsay leaves man no impact 5 seconds later Frost does same kills contest over line perfect example of when to go and when not. Cloke not on needs to take Hooker out of contest more. Essendon mucked around with it too much. Carlisle 3 marks to 3/4 time 17 the last time the teams met (Brown been very good). Would have subbed a tall Gault or White.

Marks. 41-9 (but they lost quarter 21-8)
Cont poss. 38-42 (clearances 14-10 to Collingwood)

Inside v outside quarter, inside won.

Q4: Adams nothing kick I50. Frost drops chest mark lucky Colyer immediate turnover saves us. Brown horrid sheppard. Pendles kicks in to 3-1 lucky butter up saves goal and creates score. Gault nothing kick I50 dribbles through. Frost good position been dominant will win ANZAC medal. Williams smart play wants to centre it then chooses safe option to the goalsquare Cloke mark and goal. Hurley thrown forward last role of the dice. Langdon has Dwyer out and turns it over in corridor. Great mark one on one Crisp v Heppell (great defensive game today). Dwyer seals it. Adams didn't lead at Pendles so he takes another option gets it back then doesn't look to Adams second time round. Grundy has turned it over with almost every kick. Brown leaves man no impact on contest costs goal.

BOG: Frost, Seedsman, Crisp, Adams & Brown.

In just watching the game and looking at those little things it was startling to see just how many of the little errors were made by sub 50 game players. I knew they'd make a majority, but I was shocked in truth.

I'm personally one that has no issue with it though because it means that they're involved in the contest. The more I see of Ramsay the more he grows on me he had an absolute mare yesterday, but he fought back in the second half and has a dip (I think he'll be a favourite of any coach). I would love the club to bring Guy McKenna back into the fold as defensive coach because with all of Langdon, Scharanberg, Oxley, Williams and Ramsay coming through together he would be good for that group.

The same goes for Grundy. With ball in hand he was diabolical yesterday, but getting ball in hand is the hardest part of a ruckmans game (he's averaging 16.5 ppg in 2015 which is above Cox's career average) plus he beat up on Bellchambers in the ruck.

In terms of changes I'd go:

In: Witts
Out: Gault

With a 5 day break between today's VFL match and the game v the Blues how we use Witts may give an indication of whether he'll get a call up. If he spends long stretches forward he's in next week whereas long stretches in the ruck likely mean another week at VFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adams is going to be a star. I do recall buckley butchering the ball as a kid. Adams reminds me of buks a tad.

What!!!! Love most of what Adams brings to the table but comparing his kicking to Bucks is one of the strangest comparisons I have ever heard on a forum. When Bucks butchered the ball it was because he was trying to do an incredibly hard spearing pass. Adams butchers routine 20m kicks to a guy in space.

Adams is a terrible kick and likely always will be. He just has to try and handball as much as he can.

What!!!! Love most of what Adams brings to the table but comparing his kicking to Bucks is one of the strangest comparisons I have ever heard on a forum. When Bucks butchered the ball it was because he was trying to do an incredibly hard spearing pass. Adams butchers routine 20m kicks to a guy in space.

Adams is a terrible kick and likely always will be. He just has to try and handball as much as he can.
i am referring to buckley as an 18-20 yr old.. watch reruns of him as a brisbane player.. he did butcher the ball quite a bit. and i did say adams reminds me of bucks 'a tad' as a 20 yr old butchering it.

That decision against Elliott in the first for hitting a Bomber player beneath the knees was absurd and goes against all the instincts of players

There was no intent to take out his legs but that was one of the more dangerous situations the AFL is looking to avoid - I thought exactly the same thing (with a few expletives thrown in for good measure) when I first saw it, but in the replay I think it was clear the umpire got it right.

i am referring to buckley as an 18-20 yr old.. watch reruns of him as a brisbane player.. he did butcher the ball quite a bit. and i did say adams reminds me of bucks 'a tad' as a 20 yr old butchering it.

He was at the Bears after all - that's how they rolled in those days.

Going back to the Bears "glory days" makes me think how it's funny that things always end up coming full circle, especially once the AFL takes the (extra) money away...

Elliott's goal <3 wow. Wet weather, 50 out, on the boundary. If it was Eddie Betts, Cyril, Breust or Chad Wingard we wouldn't hear the end of it.

To all those people saying that they didn't notice Goldsack besides his 2 marks in the last quarter are kidding themselves. Two or three times when Essendon kicked out he took a great contested Mark and pumped it back in and visibly his pressure created turnovers, relentless pressure and game winning pressure. Record, then fastfoward to the 3rd and last quarter when the game was in the balance and Goldy stood up.

It's more a case that his decision making is terrible.

There was a classic case yesterday where he took an uncontested mark on the wing and took a step inboard with the intent of kicking it long to whoever was presenting on a hard lead with a 5-6 metre break on his opponent (Cloke?), which was the correct decision.

In that split second he second guessed himself and tried to go back on the mark, ump called play on and he was forced to kick a slow ball off one step under pressure to a teammate (who had an opposition player right on his coight) which nearly went as far as the kick to the leading target would have.

Adams' field kicking was much better last night in general (although there were still a few miscues) and he was hitting targets which you don't normally see a lot of - in a lot of respects I feel that he might have the same sort of yips that Clokey does in front of goal with his field kicking and, as a result, over-thinks things and creates a lot of mental pressure for himself.

He'd never going to be a bloke who is an elite user of the ball (ie. kicking 55m bullets to teammates in the middle of a group of opposition players), but if he can work on that decision making then he'll be serviceable (I liken him to a Brad Sewell / Luke Ball type in that respect).

If he ends up being even half as good as those two when it all comes out in the wash at the end of his career then I'll be very happy to have picked him up.

Last edited:
Far too good. Well coached by Bucks and clearly plans were put into practice by your boys.

Can see a good team forming in the future for the Pies. Enjoy

Cheers mate, plenty of good to come from the Bombers as well.

P.S Sweet avatar bro

Did enjoy seeing our boys roughing up Daniher a bit. That kid seriously irks me for some reason. Then to see Zac Merrett come to his rescue, only to be sat on his arse by Marley made me chuckle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back