2nds Port Adelaide vs Glenelg - Round 2 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

Scooter lacks a little pace but besides that is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too good for Sanfl football.
Despite the head-high hit from 2 weeks ago he still puts his head over the ball. He is a beautiful user of the football, a clearance king and a real team man.
I can't wait until he earns his spot in the Power side. IMHO, it is only a matter of time.
Back on the game, a fantastic team performance against a shambles of team. Glenelg have huge problems. On the other hand all of our players performed well. Karl Amon took mark of the year, btw.
One highlight of the after match was Buddha accusing Louis Sharrod of coming off with a split toe nail. Cheeky bugger.

Had to leave at the end of the first half.

Very impressed with the first quarter. Almost a training drill it seemed so easy. Many Magpies ran themselves into good form. Newton impressive and a good leg. Must get an AFL game some time.

TBH Butch looked like a headless chook. No idea. Did run under the ball. Does he need his eyes checked aka Danyle Pearce? Nice to hear he improved in the second half.

Really nice leap by Amon. Then he goes and hurts his leg.

A good weekend for One Club.

Could we see a Mitch Harvey debut this year? Could be worth a game or two (literally).

Good comparison... However I feel Grigg is better on the outside whilst Newts does his best work in the packs.

hope you've got some left over mugs, right on board the newton wagon now, thought he was just a pretty good sanfl player that wouldnt translate to afl mainly due to lack of bulk and pace, but i'll cancel those thoughts, he is ready for a crack at it now.

and dont underestimate his outside work either, when he links up with run he is as effective as anyone.

hope you've got some left over mugs, right on board the newton wagon now, thought he was just a pretty good sanfl player that wouldnt translate to afl mainly due to lack of bulk and pace, but i'll cancel those thoughts, he is ready for a crack at it now.

and dont underestimate his outside work either, when he links up with run he is as effective as anyone.

Boom ! :hearts:

that was phenomenal, to kick 29 goals and just get over the line by 152 points, what a way to honour the absolute champions of the club that were there today.
biggest win since 1988, and thats exactly what it felt like. the skill, pace, running attacking footy was a flashback to what sanfl footy was like in the 80s. none of this congested extreme flood slop ball that the league has become over the last 20 odd years, especially with the likes of norwood and west and their ordinary tactics. what a day, what a weekend. #265, thanks for coming.

Newton close to a call up by the sounds, midfield depth getting deeper luv it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well that was unexpected! Really didn't expect to see 2x 100 point victories this weekend. That was embarrassing for Glenelg. Utter horrible. No leadership, no guts, pea hearted, no structure, no system, no forward line, no midfield pressure. Just utter utter awful.

We are definitely playing structurally and game style how the AFL team set up. Lots of quick movement by hand, crowing all the contests and winning by sheer weight of numbers. Its hard to know what to take out of that though. That was probably the worst team ive ever seen play at either AFL, SANFL or SANFL reserves level. Just horrible.

Best players....well everyone really.

Player Reviews:

Summerton - A star on a wing and through the midfield. Did what he wanted all day, didn't have an opponent all day and just ran around like a 8 year old on Christmas Day who'd had too much sugar by 8am. Brilliant.

Colquhoun - Absolutely the best game he's played all year and by far the best game ive ever seen him play. Like Summerton, just did what he wanted across half back and pushing through the centre line. Kane-like.

Newton - Was BOG for me. Love how he glides across the turf, love his ability to get the clearance and be just as good on the outside. I know its not really comparable as Sal was doing it at a higher level, but that's what I wish Sal was like through his career. Really hope Newton gets a chance at AFL level and a chance to stay on the list a bit longer. Deserves it. Is better than SANFL level now.

Stewart - Great playing as a quasi-CHF. Picked up an obscene amount of the ball through the forward line and pushing up into the middle. Excellent game.

Moore - Good early, dropped off a bit, but then picked up again with a great second half. Great to see him back out there. Looks very fit. Professional performance.

Mitchell - Just behind Newton as BOG for me. Was all about the stoppages for Kano. What a beast at getting the ball out and finding a player. Really seems to have changed his game from last year and you can see why he won a Sandover Medal. Heaps of the ball, got forward, 3 goals. Great work.

Logan - Started slowly but had a huge second half and was basically unpassable across half back. Through his body in with reckless abandon as expected. Superstar at SANFL level.

Clurey - Gave Mitch Thorp an absolute hiding. Just on his hammer all day, didn't give him an inch, a perfect spoiler, finds space and rebounds, very creative with the ball. Snuck forward and slotted a great goal from the boundary. Did it all today. Star in the making.

Hitchcock - We know how well Hitchy performs at SANFL level and today was no exception. 5 goals. Not much more to be said. Stayed on the outside and played a top recievers game.

Slattery - Saying he was solid all day is probably under selling him a bit as I thought he was excellent down back for much of the day, he just didn't do anything that stood out as being exceptional. Just did his job and pretty well beat his opponent to the ball every single time.

Haren - I love this guy. I really hope he gets another shot at AFL level as I think he can make it. There aren't many players out there who are just as good as a key forward, ruck or key defender, with pace to burn and excellent marking ability. He has all this. Third best on for me. Outstanding prospect.

Neade - Very quiet first half but whenever he got the ball, something great happened. Really got going after half time and had a neat little game in the end. Not enough for a recall, but certainly on the right path. Lots of great stuff that wouldn't be recorded on a stat sheet.

Butcher - Kicked 5, including 3 late, but I just don't know. Im convinced he doesn't know how to judge the ball coming in on a lead. This was a light bulb above the head moment for me as it clicked that the reason you never see him take many grabs anymore is because he over-leads too much. Cant judge the ball, is forced to double back and try and run onto it instead. We've all commented on that in his AFL games over the last 12 months and I reckon that happened 15 times today. So either everyone he plays with all the time cant kick to the lead, or hes going out too fast and working himself into a poor position. He basically kicked 5 goals as a 197cm small forward today. He probably kicked the best two goals of the day - one a 60m drop punt that sailed in with the wind, the other a great effort where we had a clear forward line with him chasing his opponent heading back towards goal, he jumped on him in the tackle, got the ball free, got back up and dribbled it through for goal of the day. He was ok, and his stats were good, but im not sure we need a 197cm version of Hitchcock.

Byrne-Jones - Had nothing to do in the first half but thought he had a great cameo in the second half. Was great to note just how damn hard this guy runs. So many times he went on massive 100m leads to present an option that was cruelly turned down. You could almost see him get a bit disheartened as it seemed some were ignoring him, but he kept at it, kept working hard and ended up having a top second half. Must improve his kicking.

Renouf - Got injured in the 2nd quarter but overall had a good game in the ruck. Took some grabs dropping back, kicked a goal and even went on a bit of a run and bounce.

AhChee - Some good work across half forward, but still flittered in and out of the game too much.

Harvey - Alright, im sold. This guy is a talent. I really really really hope he can get his tank up to AFL level because he has all the skill attributes that you want in a key forward. Knows when to lead, can take a very solid grab and is simply a beautiful kick of the ball. Great run up, perfect ball drop. Really hope he makes it.

Biemans - barely saw him at all in the first half. Had a bit of it in the last quarter.

Bruggeman - Good job on Alleway at FB. Didn't do much himself but defensively was very good.

Amon - Took a ripping hanger 15 out from goal and slotted the goal, then hurt his ankle about 5 minutes later. Sat the last 2 1/2 quarters on the bench with ice on his ankle. Pity.

Sharrad - All three of Renouf, Amon and Sharrad got injured in the space of 90 seconds and hobbled off the ground almost at once. Had only just come on the field when he was off again. Came back on for 5 minutes as a hobbler in the goal square but then limped back off and wasn't seen after half time.

Well that was unexpected! Really didn't expect to see 2x 100 point victories this weekend. That was embarrassing for Glenelg. Utter horrible. No leadership, no guts, pea hearted, no structure, no system, no forward line, no midfield pressure. Just utter utter awful.

We are definitely playing structurally and game style how the AFL team set up. Lots of quick movement by hand, crowing all the contests and winning by sheer weight of numbers. Its hard to know what to take out of that though. That was probably the worst team ive ever seen play at either AFL, SANFL or SANFL reserves level. Just horrible.

Best players....well everyone really.

Player Reviews:

Summerton - A star on a wing and through the midfield. Did what he wanted all day, didn't have an opponent all day and just ran around like a 8 year old on Christmas Day who'd had too much sugar by 8am. Brilliant.

Colquhoun - Absolutely the best game he's played all year and by far the best game ive ever seen him play. Like Summerton, just did what he wanted across half back and pushing through the centre line. Kane-like.

Newton - Was BOG for me. Love how he glides across the turf, love his ability to get the clearance and be just as good on the outside. I know its not really comparable as Sal was doing it at a higher level, but that's what I wish Sal was like through his career. Really hope Newton gets a chance at AFL level and a chance to stay on the list a bit longer. Deserves it. Is better than SANFL level now.

Stewart - Great playing as a quasi-CHF. Picked up an obscene amount of the ball through the forward line and pushing up into the middle. Excellent game.

Moore - Good early, dropped off a bit, but then picked up again with a great second half. Great to see him back out there. Looks very fit. Professional performance.

Mitchell - Just behind Newton as BOG for me. Was all about the stoppages for Kano. What a beast at getting the ball out and finding a player. Really seems to have changed his game from last year and you can see why he won a Sandover Medal. Heaps of the ball, got forward, 3 goals. Great work.

Logan - Started slowly but had a huge second half and was basically unpassable across half back. Through his body in with reckless abandon as expected. Superstar at SANFL level.

Clurey - Gave Mitch Thorp an absolute hiding. Just on his hammer all day, didn't give him an inch, a perfect spoiler, finds space and rebounds, very creative with the ball. Snuck forward and slotted a great goal from the boundary. Did it all today. Star in the making.

Hitchcock - We know how well Hitchy performs at SANFL level and today was no exception. 5 goals. Not much more to be said. Stayed on the outside and played a top recievers game.

Slattery - Saying he was solid all day is probably under selling him a bit as I thought he was excellent down back for much of the day, he just didn't do anything that stood out as being exceptional. Just did his job and pretty well beat his opponent to the ball every single time.

Haren - I love this guy. I really hope he gets another shot at AFL level as I think he can make it. There aren't many players out there who are just as good as a key forward, ruck or key defender, with pace to burn and excellent marking ability. He has all this. Third best on for me. Outstanding prospect.

Neade - Very quiet first half but whenever he got the ball, something great happened. Really got going after half time and had a neat little game in the end. Not enough for a recall, but certainly on the right path. Lots of great stuff that wouldn't be recorded on a stat sheet.

Butcher - Kicked 5, including 3 late, but I just don't know. Im convinced he doesn't know how to judge the ball coming in on a lead. This was a light bulb above the head moment for me as it clicked that the reason you never see him take many grabs anymore is because he over-leads too much. Cant judge the ball, is forced to double back and try and run onto it instead. We've all commented on that in his AFL games over the last 12 months and I reckon that happened 15 times today. So either everyone he plays with all the time cant kick to the lead, or hes going out too fast and working himself into a poor position. He basically kicked 5 goals as a 197cm small forward today. He probably kicked the best two goals of the day - one a 60m drop punt that sailed in with the wind, the other a great effort where we had a clear forward line with him chasing his opponent heading back towards goal, he jumped on him in the tackle, got the ball free, got back up and dribbled it through for goal of the day. He was ok, and his stats were good, but im not sure we need a 197cm version of Hitchcock.

Byrne-Jones - Had nothing to do in the first half but thought he had a great cameo in the second half. Was great to note just how damn hard this guy runs. So many times he went on massive 100m leads to present an option that was cruelly turned down. You could almost see him get a bit disheartened as it seemed some were ignoring him, but he kept at it, kept working hard and ended up having a top second half. Must improve his kicking.

Renouf - Got injured in the 2nd quarter but overall had a good game in the ruck. Took some grabs dropping back, kicked a goal and even went on a bit of a run and bounce.

AhChee - Some good work across half forward, but still flittered in and out of the game too much.

Harvey - Alright, im sold. This guy is a talent. I really really really hope he can get his tank up to AFL level because he has all the skill attributes that you want in a key forward. Knows when to lead, can take a very solid grab and is simply a beautiful kick of the ball. Great run up, perfect ball drop. Really hope he makes it.

Biemans - barely saw him at all in the first half. Had a bit of it in the last quarter.

Bruggeman - Good job on Alleway at FB. Didn't do much himself but defensively was very good.

Amon - Took a ripping hanger 15 out from goal and slotted the goal, then hurt his ankle about 5 minutes later. Sat the last 2 1/2 quarters on the bench with ice on his ankle. Pity.

Sharrad - All three of Renouf, Amon and Sharrad got injured in the space of 90 seconds and hobbled off the ground almost at once. Had only just come on the field when he was off again. Came back on for 5 minutes as a hobbler in the goal square but then limped back off and wasn't seen after half time.

Excellent report Macca. Cheers.

Too many turnovers? :p

So Nick Stevens is really taking them places? :D

*edit* seriously though, I couldn't stop grinning while reading that review, especially when I subbed in 1954 assessment of Renouf. It's all coming together beautifully, and as Hannibal Smith says ...

Last edited:
That's a stupid system.
It's usually calculated like this:
points for divided by points against x 100.
Why do SANFL do it differently ?

The SANFLs system is an actual percentage. Its the percentage of the total score you have in your games. The AFLs system shouldn't really be called 'percentage' as its 'what you score if your opponent scores 100'.

The SANFLs system is an actual percentage. Its the percentage of the total score you have in your games. The AFLs system shouldn't really be called 'percentage' as its 'what you score if your opponent scores 100'.

Because we were established a free colony we are honest in our systems. :p

Notice KT walking around in the background. Does that man ever stop working?

Campbell Heath will be familiar with that song.

Had to leave at the end of the first half.

Very impressed with the first quarter. Almost a training drill it seemed so easy. Many Magpies ran themselves into good form. Newton impressive and a good leg. Must get an AFL game some time.

TBH Butch looked like a headless chook. No idea. Did run under the ball. Does he need his eyes checked aka Danyle Pearce? Nice to hear he improved in the second half.

Really nice leap by Amon. Then he goes and hurts his leg.

A good weekend for One Club.

Butch with glasses, the new Geoff Blethyn. :D

That's a bit disappointing, hopefully this will at least give him some confidence when kicking for goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back