Positives and Negatives vs Charli...Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

I watched the game in 2 halves . With a 4 hour break in between . I forgot about the 1st half .
We won 3rd and 4th quarters and I really enjoyed the pressure and the handling of the opposition's pressure by the team overall .
My thoughts on 2nd half that pleased me .
Chesser . Confidence is growing , showed some skills . Looking fit and fast
Cole played best half of footy I recall seeing him play .
Long keeps impressing kept pace with Saad in a chase,
Hewitt J. Williams and Maric did enough .
Gaff was a decent player today in this 2nd half .
As I said the 1st half I completely forgot and was zoned out even when I did watch that 1st half .
I just wanted effort in the 2nd half so got a good feeling about the game .

The midfield stinks. Hewett and Ginbey need to have midfield time priority from round 1 next season.

I was at the stage where I didn't give a toss about this year, but that's quickly turning back into anger.

Imagine waiting all this time for the "premiership heros" Simpson has hitched his boat to for so long to return...

Only to come in and underperform as expected, so now we're all relying on a couple of first year players in Hewett and Ginbey to spark the team.

It was all so predictable a very long time ago.

So he could have said he wasn’t up for nomination… he doesn’t even have the stones to do that

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Unfortunately Duggan's not turned out to be the leader we thought he would be when drafted, and Barrass didn't appear to thrive when temporarily stepping into the role.

OAllen has Captain written all over him - but after a year out of the game he was nowhere near ready.

This was always going to be a sh!te year for West Coast, better that an outgoing Shuey take all the heat rather than dump that on a first-year Captain. So for that alone, I applaud his decision to stay on. IMO, not a lack of stones, rather a lack of options.

2024 isn't going to be all rainbows and unicorns, but with a few of the old-guard gone, another preseason into the young 'uns, and generational talent incoming, WC should be well on the way to being competitive again.

Positives - there's really none after a first half like that, but kind-of positives:

• Maric. Good pick up. Hope we can improve enough to give him cause to want to stay with us.
  • Encouraging moments from Hewett, Long, Chesser and Bailey Williams.
  • Won the second half.
Negatives:

• The first half was the least fun I've ever had at the football - and I've watched us play at Kardinia Park. Extenuating circumstances, injuries, rebuild whatever, there is no excuse for dishing up that diabolical tripe.
  • Eagles players literally running away from Carlton players that they could and should have tried to tackle.
  • Non-existent midfield pressure for most of the first half.
  • The club clearly needs massive cultural change but yet to see an indication they're willing to make the decisions that are needed to achieve that.
  • Oscar goal every game run ending - hard to kick goals from full back.
  • Shuey injury. Absolute warrior but the body simply can no longer do what he wants it to and he has to call it quits.
  • Umpiring. It seems silly to raise it when we played so poorly, but the inconsistency in decisions was galling. Some of the worst I've seen. It's bad enough we are already so dreadful without the umps making it even harder for us.
  • Carlton fans carrying on as if they were winning a Grand Final. Loser club.
  • Carlton fans booing SPS as if he'd king hit a Carlton player. Yes, he will almost certainly be rubbed out and he needs to learn how to tackle in the new environment, but it was legit something nobody would have sniffed at a few years ago and the crowd treating him like he was a murderer or something.

Unfortunately Duggan's not turned out to be the leader we thought he would be when drafted, and Barrass didn't appear to thrive when temporarily stepping into the role.

OAllen has Captain written all over him - but after a year out of the game he was nowhere near ready.

This was always going to be a sh!te year for West Coast, better that an outgoing Shuey take all the heat rather than dump that on a first-year Captain. So for that alone, I applaud his decision to stay on. IMO, not a lack of stones, rather a lack of options.

2024 isn't going to be all rainbows and unicorns, but with a few of the old-guard gone, another preseason into the young 'uns, and generational talent incoming, WC should be well on the way to being competitive again.
Yeah I don't buy a lot of the commentary going around that we're supposedly going to get "much much worse" the next couple of years. With one win after 18 rounds I don't see how we can do worse. Things can change quickly, although it wise to taper expectations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I doubt any other club will want Maric TBH. He's an honest tryer but nothing amazing. He's a perfect fit at WCE.

I know he's done it a million times but Darling got his hands to the footy so much today but just couldn't pluck a mark.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I doubt any other club will want Maric TBH. He's an honest tryer but nothing amazing. He's a perfect fit at WCE.
I reckon that's an awful call. Maric is clearly a natural footballer and has a heap we can develop.

Good hands, nice kick, lowers the eyes.

Maybe we can forget about having a captain and pioneer a new leadership idea of lance corporal .

Was at the game, was hard to find positives
Maric tried hard
BWilliams kept effort up
Gaff played well

Negatives
I know its a common theme nowadays but sheed is such a momentum killer
That first quarter
Hough playing on curnow.. tanking?
Bazzo, wouldnt be anywhere near the team without injuries, need more time to develop

Sent from my SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sheed has been a terrible on-baller for a long time but the penny has finally dropped for most on here. Him kicking that goal in th GF was the best and worst thing to happen to the club. If only Masten had converted and Sheed didn’t need to - what a sliding doors moment!
From memory sheed was on the outer until gaff got suspended for the brayshaw hit? Is that right? His purple patch late 2018 has seen him through to now

I reckon that's an awful call. Maric is clearly a natural footballer and has a heap we can develop.

Good hands, nice kick, lowers the eyes.
Fair enough but all these kids have that in them.

Will the club be able to develop them all properly in the state it's in?

Positives - there's really none after a first half like that, but kind-of positives:

• Maric. Good pick up. Hope we can improve enough to give him cause to want to stay with us.
  • Encouraging moments from Hewett, Long, Chesser and Bailey Williams.
  • Won the second half.
Negatives:

• The first half was the least fun I've ever had at the football - and I've watched us play at Kardinia Park. Extenuating circumstances, injuries, rebuild whatever, there is no excuse for dishing up that diabolical tripe.
  • Eagles players literally running away from Carlton players that they could and should have tried to tackle.
  • Non-existent midfield pressure for most of the first half.
  • The club clearly needs massive cultural change but yet to see an indication they're willing to make the decisions that are needed to achieve that.
  • Oscar goal every game run ending - hard to kick goals from full back.
  • Shuey injury. Absolute warrior but the body simply can no longer do what he wants it to and he has to call it quits.
  • Umpiring. It seems silly to raise it when we played so poorly, but the inconsistency in decisions was galling. Some of the worst I've seen. It's bad enough we are already so dreadful without the umps making it even harder for us.
  • Carlton fans carrying on as if they were winning a Grand Final. Loser club.
  • Carlton fans booing SPS as if he'd king hit a Carlton player. Yes, he will almost certainly be rubbed out and he needs to learn how to tackle in the new environment, but it was legit something nobody would have sniffed at a few years ago and the crowd treating him like he was a murderer or something.
I was asking Carlton supporters around me why sps was getting booed, i was suggesting they shouldve been cheering him for wanting to leave them

I know he's done it a million times but Darling got his hands to the footy so much today but just couldn't pluck a mark.

How can you make that call when he has only played a handful of games in a team that gets ****ed up the arse every round, and is only 19?

How can you make that call when he has only played a handful of games in a team that gets ****ed up the arse every round, and is only 19?

And even then, he's been super promising and kicking goals.

Mind boggling.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back