Review Post match discussion/vent thread vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Serious question, where does Bryce Lewis fit in all of this?

Is he picking the wrong players or is it that we just can't develop them.

We DO need a serious answer to this excellent question, not some knee jerk reaction.

As an outsider it's hard to say. There are youngsters who show nothing and eventually get delisted and youngsters who show something and then plateau.

Last edited:

I vaguely remember Ross Lyin saying his teams relied on great effort, watching Bulldogs, Saints, Magpies etc, they are giving it, as far we are concerned, token would be almost overly generous as a descriptor of our effort, especially yesterday, IMO, coach has to cop the blame here, appears to have lost the players

Am I the only one this doesn't sit well with. I posted before the game some of the photos looked liked we were on holidays and we played like it.
View attachment 149369

I don't really think the players relaxing on the beach before the game has got anything to do with yesterday's performance. Far better that than to be sitting around in a hotel room biding their time. At least out in the open on a nice sunny day they are far more likely to get their minds clear and more ready to play the game.

I think the real problem is that we are simply not good enough. We over achieved last year at 6th (not 4th), lost Levi, have been without Wellsy plus Dal for all bar three and a bit games. Lmac, Sugar and to a lesser extent Benny Brown (who should not have been dropped) are suffering second year blues and in a competition where you are off the pace just a fraction, you are liable to get slaughtered.

For mine, whenever we fail to score the first goal in a match, we seem to rarely get going. We had the ball in our inside 50 early yesterday and we needed to convert. That's where Benny was needed because he often clunks a mark early and converts. Instead, the GC, with Ablett back (why against us I ask did he have to come back - knew we were in trouble once he was named) plus David Swallow and Hall, were up and about early.

Good sides can however overcome that.

We are not a good side. We are a bottom 8 side. Do not expect us to win more than three of the last nine.

Was it 2011 or 2012 we were venting like this?..

I've been on here for so long it's hard to remember but I distinctly recall saying back then that us finishing around 8th, 9th, 10th will encase us into mediocrity for many years to come because our financial position off the field couldn't allow us to completely bottom out.

Our membership base has always been small so this correlates to what we need to achieve on the field.. We can't afford to bottom out. If we finished last our members would drop off therefore each year we have some floggings along with some'stirring'wins to give the supporters hope but in doing so we finish midfield and end up with the draft scraps (especially in shallow drafts)..

All this talk about the bulldogs and saints looking young and exciting is fair enough but it's no surprise because they've been picking up all the cream kids for the last couple of years.. Carlton will be seen in this light soon too, but unless we do something drastic we will be stuck in the middle for many years yet (which funnily enough will cost the club financially anyway because the punters want success, not mediocrity!!!).

So here we are again 3 yrs on having the same discussion and vent - changes need to be made NOW because the club can get stuffed if we're having this conversation in 2018!!!!

cheers to the nth melb supporters at the northern end of the Metricon stadium. You guys are probably been the nicest bunch of visitors to that end of the stadium for quiet a few games. sorry for the loss but it was a nice night on a sad occasion (VALE Phil).

cheers to the nth melb supporters at the northern end of the Metricon stadium. You guys are probably been the nicest bunch of visitors to that end of the stadium for quiet a few games. sorry for the loss but it was a nice night on a sad occasion (VALE Phil).

Even our supporters are too "nice". :mad:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Such is our shitfulness that I've even had the occasional envious moment watching how St Kilda go about it. The enthusiasm, bravery and recklessness at times of the youngsters and the leadership of the older blokes (except that dud Gilbert). Embarrassing but true. :$

Don't watch what they're doing to * right now then. You'd wanna do a swan dive off of the Etihad Stadium roof.

Clearly don't want to work hard enough off the ball or when the opposition have the pill. I todays game these are fundamentals and we cant execute them. 66 inside 50' against the bottom side ffs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back