Review Post match discussion/vent thread vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Turned it off halfway through the last quarter. Pretty pissweak and I honestly don't feel like watching next week because, on current form, Geelong will absolutely flog us.

Clearly don't want to work hard enough off the ball or when the opposition have the pill. I todays game these are fundamentals and we cant execute them. 66 inside 50' against the bottom side ffs.

Yep been saying it for a while.

When you dont hold anyone accountable, you get 22 lazy footballers. The culture stinks.

Turned it off halfway through the last quarter. Pretty pissweak and I honestly don't feel like watching next week because, on current form, Geelong will absolutely flog us.

I actually stopped watching halfway through the first quarter. We started so poorly that I had that feeling it was going to be one of those days and we have been having way too many of those days. It was both spineless and inept.

So bitterly disappointed in this season. Worse than 2 years ago when we were losing all those close ones. Last year's finals against two teams on the slide papered over the cracks and now we are in a position where we haven't got sufficient on and off field quality to match it with the better clubs.

I actually stopped watching halfway through the first quarter. We started so poorly that I had that feeling it was going to be one of those days and we have been having way too many of those days. It was both spineless and inept.

So bitterly disappointed in this season. Worse than 2 years ago when we were losing all those close ones. Last year's finals against two teams on the slide papered over the cracks and now we are in a position where we haven't got sufficient on and off field quality to match it with the better clubs.

I actually really enjoyed the 2013 season.

Disregarding the close losses, we were exciting to watch. We moved the ball with break neck speed, our rebound off HB was good, we looked a good outfit that needed to tighten up defensively in some areas and recruit half a dozen players to compliment the scheme. Instead we scrapped it and the end game is this rabble.

The finals last year were against similar outfits. Look at *- They are ****ed and Geelong is coming off 8000 flags that isnt anywhere near as good now.

Don't watch what they're doing to * right now then. You'd wanna do a swan dive off of the Etihad Stadium roof.

We could play like that if we wanted to. We've got arms, legs, brains and ability. We could probably do it even better than the Saints - if we could give a s**t.

However, the players are switched off and have been for a long time. They switch on occasionally but sadly it's not their "natural" state. Their natural state is one of smug satisfaction with mediocrity.

You only have to look at the attitude of the Carlton players once Malthouse was removed to see that it begins with their attitude. They're not much of a side but they're trying their guts out. At North the players' attitude is largely irrelevant because even when they don't turn up to play, people who matter (from BS down, not the BigFooty cheer squad) make excuses for them.

Clearly don't want to work hard enough off the ball or when the opposition have the pill. I todays game these are fundamentals and we cant execute them. 66 inside 50' against the bottom side ffs.

I can't put a finger on it.

But our core of 22-27 year old's defended better when they were raw 18, 19, 20 year old kids.

They improve their conditioning and run harder for longer. We bring in defensive minded AC's and it's a key focus of ours to take the next step. Yet, our offensive game goes to s**t, with decision making and efficient ball use not evolving and lacking flair, and we just can't defend for anything more than 80 minutes in a game.

The signs were there last season, when we continually gave up more inside 50's to opposition sides, even in victories.

Something stinks.

I can't put a finger on it.

But our core of 22-27 year old's defended better when they were raw 18, 19, 20 year old kids.

They improve their conditioning and run harder for longer. We bring in defensive minded AC's and it's a key focus of ours to take the next step. Yet, our offensive game goes to s**t, with decision making and efficient ball use not evolving and lacking flair, and we just can't defend for anything more than 80 minutes in a game.

The signs were there last season, when we continually gave up more inside 50's to opposition sides, even in victories.

Something stinks.

Over thinking. Instructions coming out the a-hole.

Players who don't work enough are able to hide in the structure. Pass the buck type scenario.

Over thinking. Instructions coming out the a-hole.

Players who don't work enough are able to hide in the structure. Pass the buck type scenario.

I'm leaning toward a host of our players being weak as piss and not willing to work hard enough for long enough.

That's equally damning on the coaches if you ask me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm leaning toward a host of our players being weak as piss and not willing to work hard enough for long enough.

That's equally damning on the coaches if you ask me.

Absolutely.

The 'back them in' attitude allows for these soft efforts.

I'm getting angrier by the moment thinking how ******* soft and robotic and predictable this club as a whole has become.

Defensive positioning and zone structures have improved greatly this season, imo. The run and gun that we started in 2013 (and used very effectively by Port last year) has had every good side put in some serious work into negating it.

To me, it's no coincidence Port are finding it a lot more difficult this season as well. Freeground holes are being effectively plugged, and there is less room to run into for breathing space and pressure free disposal. The defensive effort of the midfield is exacerbated by our terrible disposal under pressure with players completely out of position on the inevitable turnover. I think they are still trying to take the game on and be offensively agressive. The ring a ring a rosy handball in the back half is indicative of us not having any alternate strategy to launch an attack from the back half.....our previous strength.

I said after Round 2, we've been worked out. The coaching department have dropped the ball on advancing the gameplan.

Defensive positioning and zone structures have improved greatly this season, imo. The run and gun that we started in 2013 (and used very effectively by Port last year) has had every good side put in some serious work into negating it.

To me, it's no coincidence Port are finding it a lot more difficult this season as well. Freeground holes are being effectively plugged, and there is less room to run into for breathing space and pressure free disposal. The defensive effort of the midfield is exacerbated by our terrible disposal under pressure with players completely out of position on the inevitable turnover. I think they are still trying to take the game on and be offensively agressive. The ring a ring a rosy handball in the back half is indicative of us not having any alternate strategy to launch an attack from the back half.....our previous strength.

I said after Round 2, we've been worked out. The coaching department have dropped the ball on advancing the gameplan.
We're always a year behind!

We're always a year behind!

You know this may be me being ultra cynical, but I remember one of our blokes, Petrie(?), being asked back in 2013 how our exciting run and gun style came about. His answer was along the lines of "we pretty much just started doing it and kept with it."

No great directive from the box, just a natural fluid progression driven by the players. That always stuck with me. It's instrucive in alot of ways I reckon.

Good post Grogg, i was thinking exactly the same thing, the top clubs are ahead of the curve with game plans/strategies, the rest are playing copycat/catchup.
You never really see Hawks/Swans/Freo have trouble transitioning from the D50, from kick ins especially, the old handball ring-a-rosy, pass the hot potato quickly to anyone else tactic ? just invites the opposition to forward press harder for the inevitable turnover and scoring opportunity

Shows again no Plan b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y....wait...z is drop a player with fewer than 20 games for the sins of the majority.

You know this may be me being ultra cynical, but I remember one of our blokes, Petrie(?), being asked back in 2013 how our exciting run and gun style came about. His answer was along the lines of "we pretty much just started doing it and kept with it."

No great directive from the box, just a natural fluid progression driven by the players. That always stuck with me. It's instrucive in alot of ways I reckon.

First option football.

Good post Grogg, i was thinking exactly the same thing, the top clubs are ahead of the curve with game plans/strategies, the rest are playing copycat/catchup.
You never really see Hawks/Swans/Freo have trouble transitioning from the D50, from kick ins especially, the old handball ring-a-rosy, pass the hot potato quickly to anyone else tactic ? just invites the opposition to forward press harder for the inevitable turnover and scoring opportunity

Too true...i watch a lot of the top teams on tv....we are so far behind this year...even when we string 20 minutes together.

Only managed to catch the second quarter on Saturday, but missed the second half as was getting boxes for freighting stuff back to Melbourne next week. Actually I took away quite a few positives from Saturday afternoon. Firstly, cardboard is vastly under-rated in terms of its strength. Secondly, the cost of airfreight makes it easy to decide to get rid of all that unnecessary stuff that you might otherwise send home. And thirdly, Cunners has a nice pair of hands. That's about it.

We've always played Russian Roulette at the stoppages and in dead ball situations (those 50/50, one v one contests). Gunning ahead of the contest and looking to be the outlet, as opposed to setting up defensively, and then pushing forward hard, when we're certain we've won the footy. Those risks hurt our structure. In saying that, I still think we've been very average defensively, and our tackling numbers for starters, reflect that.

Someone might say, well the Hawks and Fremantle are around the same mark as us with our tackling numbers this season. The key difference is they are averaging 30-40 more possessions a game, and they deny the opposition the football. Not to mention that we're not in the same stratosphere as Hawthorn, Collingwood etc in the 1%er stakes and stoppage work/numbers.

We are dead set last in 1%ers, and we average 35 a game. The Hawks and Collingwood are pushing 50.

Our pressure stats aren't great, and when we don't tackle, it's no wonder our opposition inside 50 count is high. You watch the Dog's out-hunt us when we play them. Good defensive structures are an all over the ground display and we just don't defend well enough for long enough. When we're on, we're on, but like every other aspect of our game, we execute in spurts. It's ridiculously frustrating.

You're spot on with our terrible disposal this year. We're ranked 12th in total disposal efficiency and we're in the top half for clangers this season. I'm pretty sure my contact at Champion said we were next to last in disposal efficiency by foot recently as well. Don't quote me on that just yet though. I'll check on it. It kills us on the rebound.

I'd love to see us play with a defend first mentality and let the offence flow from that. We need to go back to winning ugly. Richmond's win on the weekend speaks volumes to me. They are defending very well this year. They then have enough class to hurt the good sides and stay in touch. We should be no different.

We've conceded 180 goals in 13 games and that's just not good enough. We're around Melbourne, Gold Coast, St. Kilda and Essendon in that department. 180. It's just nightmare stuff. I didn't envisage that bullshit at the start of the season. No way.

It's terrible for a side who played in a preliminary final where that exact area was highlighted and with top four aspirations heading into 2015.

****ing s**t-house.

But you're right Grogg, we lack backup plans and year after year we take too long to change it up.

Yeah the millionaires s**t is pretty evident at our club HH and there definitely seems to be an element of lazy arse application.

Alarm bells have been going off ever since it was made public on here that the coaches could simply not curb their attacking see ball get ball mentality. That was prior to us going all out and getting one of the best going around in Tudor. Nothing's changed and it looks like we either have had a multitude of poor assistants or the players most guilty are either too stupid or completely uncoachable from a defensive aspect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back