C Section Premier C - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well last round didn't go too well, so hopefully I can improve this week.

Hampton Rovers v Ormond
Monash Blues v Banyule
Parkdale v Marcellin
Old Camberwell
v Oakleigh
Peninsula v PEGS

Same for me as well. Although I suspect Pegs might give it a shake.
Farewelling the great German Shields at the Frearson tomorrow. A sensational Ashes man.

Bedford, did you say one of the two umpires actually turned up 10 min before the start of the seniors at BJR? What time do umpires normally turn up for their appointed game in the seniors (regardless of section)?

Bedford, did you say one of the two umpires actually turned up 10 min before the start of the seniors at BJR? What time do umpires normally turn up for their appointed game in the seniors (regardless of section)?
Supposed to be at the ground a minimum of 45 minutes before the start of the game I think. So the ump in question better have a very good explanation.

Supposed to be at the ground a minimum of 45 minutes before the start of the game I think. So the ump in question better have a very good explanation.
And it may cost him in the long run, when the umpires selectors sit down to name their appointments for the finals and especially the grand finals. Getting your decisions right and being on time for your appointed game are two of the things the umpires selectors take into account when selecting umpires to officiate at each week's games.

Fair dinkum criticising the umpires again..Did you ask the umpire why he was late? my very reliable mail suggests despite what he was told to tell the team managers that he was appointed very late to the game as there had been a late switch due to another game having an umpire pull out Saturday. You get 2 umpires that do the best they can ( 1 that may not have known he was umpiring there until 45 mins before the game, driving like a lunatic to get to the game, find a park run into the change rooms and then focus ) and they try and officiate blokes that drop chest marks, miss goals from less than 30 meters out, yell at spectators - and put up with team managers - officials abusing them showing the players that it is ok to yell at the umps...
Bedford as you rightly point out you lost to a better team, just leave it at that until your blokes stop making elementary mistakes and really costing the 4 points... Yes the umps get paid to do a job but this game isn't as straight forward as some sports in that this sport is very grey and is full of interpretation - who knows what the ump coaches are trying to instruct the umps to do. blaming umps is pathetic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair dinkum criticising the umpires again..Did you ask the umpire why he was late? my very reliable mail suggests despite what he was told to tell the team managers that he was appointed very late to the game as there had been a late switch due to another game having an umpire pull out Saturday. You get 2 umpires that do the best they can ( 1 that may not have known he was umpiring there until 45 mins before the game, driving like a lunatic to get to the game, find a park run into the change rooms and then focus ) and they try and officiate blokes that drop chest marks, miss goals from less than 30 meters out, yell at spectators - and put up with team managers - officials abusing them showing the players that it is ok to yell at the umps...
Bedford as you rightly point out you lost to a better team, just leave it at that until your blokes stop making elementary mistakes and really costing the 4 points... Yes the umps get paid to do a job but this game isn't as straight forward as some sports in that this sport is very grey and is full of interpretation - who knows what the ump coaches are trying to instruct the umps to do. blaming umps is pathetic.

Sorry Bedford but im with perspective on this. How many 'bad' decisions did your players and coach make during the game? Were they faultless? Did they have a ping for goal instead of sitting it 20 out, or did they try to mark instead of punching? Did they go to ground instead of keeping their feet, or miss a tackle? If not i guess they are no hope of catching Hampton as they have already reached perfection, are better people than I, and certainly better footballers than C grade VAFA . Umpires are on a hiding to nothing; We all see decisions that frustate us, but none of us are in the umpires boots seeing through his/her eyes, from his/her position on the ground, with his/her coaching directions whilst being berated by one eyed supporters and officials. And to my shock and horror they are also human and will make mistakes! You've been involved in football long enough to know better.

Last edited:
We all know that the umpires are meant to get better as the standard of footy gets better, so I reckon the solution is simple, stop dropping chest marks and stop taking flying shots from the scoreboard at gunn reserve instead of hitting the goal square and stop concentrating on things outside your control and you may find yourself winning enough games to get into B Grade - and then get umpires who make less errors.

Maybe the umpiring hierarchy should make it abundantly clear to the clubs how they are interpreting the Laws of the Game.

It is a very tough job involving split second calls. They are therefore bound to make their share of poor calls. Think most of us accept that providing the error rate isn't too high and there's consistency of interpretation.

I noticed at the Scotch v St Bedes game a marked difference in the way the game was umpired after quarter time. They held the whistle way too long at scrimmages and were reluctant to pay what looked from outside the fence to be far from incidental infringements in the first quarter. That changed after quarter time when they found the pea in the whistle and as a consequence the game was a better spectacle. Can only assume the duty observer had some pointed comments at quarter time.

Wouldn't be too harsh on Bedford who is a loyal hardworking Monder who carries his heart on his sleeve. And officiating officials can make howlers. Ask Kevin Muscat.:)

Looks like it's going to be another round were most experts agree on the winners.

Round 4.
Ormond v Monash Blues
Marcellin v Old Camberwell
PEGS v Hampton Rovers
Peninsula
vs Parkdale
Banyule v Oakleigh

I think you're right, Clint. Even with the predicted bad weather, I can't see any upsets.

Round 4 tips:

Ormond v Monash Blues
Marcellin v Old Camberwell
PEGS v Hampton Rovers
Peninsula
vs Parkdale
Banyule v Oakleigh

Monash to beat monds. Well done Sam baring on 100 senior games, joining his dad on this milestone. Let's hope Sam can be a dual premiership player like his old man!
Wells to beat eagles.
Pegs to win just cause it's at home.
Pirates to win well. Surely they can make the finals this year??
Bears at home will just get the points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back