Random Things on Your Mind (Part 5)

Remove this Banner Ad

The first of the provincial finals in the GAA start next weekend, which will be shown on 7Mate next Monday morning:

Munster (Football) - Cork v Kerry
Leinster (Hurling) - Dublin v Kilkenny

Have to say RTE's theme for The Sunday Game is a pretty catchy theme

For those that think the Adelaide City Council make some monumental planning/approval blunders, check out this epic fail by the Dublin City Council.

Garth Brooks wanted to play 5 concerts at Croke Park. The council approved 3 of the concerts. Brooks cancelled the concerts in protest.

I know it sometimes feels like going back to the 1960s when I return to Adelaide (primitive shopping hours, lack of freeways), but how is it that SA is only now getting Krispy Kreme donuts? The rest of Australia has had them for well over a decade.

http://www.krispykreme.com.au/stores/

Exept Tasmania, Perth, Northern Territory and yep, you guessed it Canberra.

Take your anti Adelaide bullshit somewhere else.

http://www.krispykreme.com.au/stores/

Exept Tasmania, Perth, Northern Territory and yep, you guessed it Canberra.

Take your anti Adelaide bullshit somewhere else.
They've been on sale here before as well.

I remember the mad excitement when they opened their first store in Sydney. I can't believe that there is still the same degree of excitement more than a decade after they arrived in Australia.

They've been on sale here before as well.

I remember the mad excitement when they opened their first store in Sydney. I can't believe that there is still the same degree of excitement more than a decade after they arrived in Australia.

No need for the Anti Adelaide comments. Especially when you are wrong.

No need for the Anti Adelaide comments. Especially when you are wrong.
I love Adelaide. Yes, it's like going back in a time warp in some ways - but that can also be regarded as a positive in other ways. I don't think Adelaide has many of the social problems that cities like Sydney have. I will always call Adelaide home, even if I've now lived in Canberra for longer than I did in Adelaide. That doesn't mean that the city is perfect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know it sometimes feels like going back to the 1960s when I return to Adelaide (primitive shopping hours, lack of freeways), but how is it that SA is only now getting Krispy Kreme donuts? The rest of Australia has had them for well over a decade.
wut?

What hours are your shops open?

In civilised states the supermarkets (Coles, Woolworths) are open 6am-midnight 7 days per week and the retail shops are open 7-days as well, not just in the tourist precincts.

LOL - what?

That happens in Adelaide and all parts of Adelaide.

From Gawler to TTP to Hollywood plaza to Adelaide to Marion to Victor Habour.

Shops are open monday to Friday 8:30 to 6 pm and 9 pm Thursdays - saturday and Sunday. Coles and Woolies are open till midnight in most places and 9pm every night everywhere else. Only time they not be open would be Sunday nights and then they close at 6pm Sunday.

Nice to know that Adelaide has joined the civilised world at last. Last time I was there the supermarkets closed when the sun went down and Glenelg & Rundle Mall were the only places open on the weekends. It wasn't that long ago.

When was that? 1995

We have had Sunday shopping close to 10 years.

Maybe its a good thing you don't visit Adelaide as we don't enjoy your ill advised prejudice against our wonderful city.

We are not as big as Sydney or Melbourne but we don't pretend to be. Maybe you should stick to Canberra with your fireworks and pr0n warehouses.

Is Canberra included in that? Admittedly it's been a short while since I visited but I got the impression most major outlets closed by 6PM every day there.
Canberra used to have 24-hr trading for the supermarkets. That changed in the mid-90s and they're now open 6am to midnight. K-mart is open 24/7, 364 days per year.

Retail shops mostly close at 5-5:30, but they're all open 7-days.

The change from 24hr shopping was a bit of a nightmare. The govt came under pressure from the operators of the smaller suburban shopping centres, who couldn't compete with the lower prices of Coles & Woolies. The govt responded by forcing Coles & Woolies to close at 6pm, but only those in the town centres. That meant that the supermarkets in places like Dickson, Jamison & Manuka were still open 24/7, while those just 2-3km away were forced to close early. It also pissed off the voters, who hated the inconvenience of having to get the shopping done early or fight the crowds on the weekend. Between the ludicrous situation with town vs suburban supermarkets and a voting public that was ready to vote the government out on this issue alone, the laws were changed again. End result: 6am-midnight shopping for everyone who wants to stay open that late.

When was that? 1995

We have had Sunday shopping close to 10 years.

Maybe its a good thing you don't visit Adelaide as we don't enjoy your ill advised prejudice against our wonderful city.

We are not as big as Sydney or Melbourne but we don't pretend to be. Maybe you should stick to Canberra with your fireworks and pr0n warehouses.
You've had Sunday shopping in the city & Glenelg for ages, but that's where it used to end.

You've had Sunday shopping in the city & Glenelg for ages, but that's where it used to end.

We have had Sunday shopping at TTP for close to 10 years.

Sunday shopping doesn't start until 11 am but that's not a bad thing as 9am on a Sunday morning doesn't exist.

Looking at the Coles website and your shopping hours aren't that great..
Mon-Fri: 6am to 9pm
Sat: 6am to 5pm
Sun: 11am to 5pm

Closing a supermarket at 5pm on the weekend doesn't happen in a modern civilised city.

Well, that just proves it - the East Coast of Australia is better than Adelaide because you can get your milk and sugar at 9:15 pm on a Tuesday night at Coles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back