13. Yarran
14. Ziebell
15. Shuey
16. Trengove
17. Walters
18. Zaharakis
19. Ballatyne
20. Hurley

Certainly not short of depth that draft. Can see 40 of the guys drafted playing 100+ games.

If I was being biased I'd probably say Rockliff is arguably first ahead of Beams.

But being completely honest he is clearly the second best player from the 2008 draft behind Beams. Hopefully he can slowly overtake beams.
Not sure how he is clearly better than Hanneberry.

Dayne Beams is a genuine GUN. he is underrated, probably because he has been injured a fair bit over his 101 game career. Being picked at #29, geez, collingwood got a bargain. So far in 2014, he has been consistently brilliant, and he absolutely racks the stats up.
And we picked McKernan the pick directly before that

Hanley in the rookie draft the previous year as well. Very good period for the club there; if only it hadn't turned so sour.

1. Beams
2. Rockliff
3. Hannebury
4. Naitanui
5. Sloane
6. Breust
7. Hartlett
8. Rich
9. Hill
10. Sidebottom
11. Redden
12. Motlop
13. Yarran
14. Ziebell
15. Shuey
16. Trengove
17. Walters
18. Zaharakis
19. Ballatyne
20. Hurley

Certainly not short of depth that draft. Can see 40 of the guys drafted playing 100+ games.
The only player hartlett is better then in the top 15 is Yarran, Redden ahead of Sidebottom, Trengove, Ballantyne and Walters have all showed more then Yarran and Schuey.

Dayne Beams
Tom Rockliff
Daniel Hannebery
Rory Sloane
Hamish Hartlett
Daniel Rich
Nic Naitanui
Hayden Ballentyne
Michael Walters
Luke Breust
Michael Hurley
Matt Suckling
Jack Ziebell
Stephen Hill
Chris Yarran
Zac Clarke
David Zaharakis
Jackson Trengove
Ryan Schoenmakers
Steven Motlop
Mike Pyke
Luke Shuey
Jack Redden
Jeff Garlett
Liam Shiels
Nic Suban
Matthew Broadbent
Zac Dawson
Jack Watts
Shane Savage

Don't rate Sidebottom?

For some, I may be putting too much stock in 2014, Ziebell for example - but he just hasn't performed this year and it's at the stage where if they have obvious deficiencies now, then will they ever not have those? I'm not sure Ziebells get and blind kick is all that impressive, whereas a guy like Rich who is out injured still has that powerful foot as a huge weapon that's becoming more important every season.

I'm fairly happy with the order of my top 6, after that pretty much anyone from 7-20 is a good enough footballer to have a big season and go to 7th (Motlop 2013) or have a bit of a shitty one (i.e. Ziebell) and fall 5-10 spots below their usual (Ziebell around the 10 mark before start of year, Hurley around the 14 mark). Fully expect to cop it for the Lynch call but he will prove himself by the end of the season as being just as worthy a player as the other guys he's listed above. 24-30 is pretty difficult too. What a damn good draft year, that list of 'depth' players down the bottom is fairly impressive.

1. Dayne Beams
2. Tom Rockliff
3. Dan Hannebery

A clear top 3. NicNat and his injury woes has lost ground on 3 of the clear, consistent, midfield guns of the comp

4. Nic Naitanui
5. Stephen Hill
6. Rory Sloane
7. Luke Breust
8. Steele Sidebottom
9. Daniel Rich
10. Jackson Trengove - 2014 boosting him above, was already a very good performer

11. Hamish Hartlett
12. Tom Lynch (much better for Crows to take him then instead of dilly-dallying around with Lewis Johnston)
13. Steve Motlop
14. Chris Yarran
15. David Zaharakis
16. Luke Shuey
17. Jack Ziebell
18. Jack Redden
19. Michael Hurley
20. Michael Walters
21. Hayden Ballantyne
22. Jack Watts
23. Phil Davis
24. Liam Shiels
25. Jeff Garlett
26. Matthew Broadbent
27. Taylor Hunt
28. Ricky Henderson
29. Matt Suckling
29. Ryan Schoenmakers
30. Liam Jones

Drop Mike Pyke somewhere in there too.

A clear drop from here now to players who are either imo bottom of their teams 22 (Suban, Robinson) injury prone (Roughead, Clarke) or just not that good (Vickery, Anthony)

Suban, Roughead, Clarke, Robinson, Vickery, Anthony, Johnston, M.Brown (Geelong), Cordy, Blease, Wright, McKernan, R.Stanley, N.Jetta, Lowden, Savage, McKenzie, Picken, Broughton

I think Beams is no.1 at the moment but Hanners has to be no.2.

No other player has achieved as much individually and stepped up on the biggest stage of them all... plus he's one of the most courageous young players out there.

1. Dayne Beams
2. Tom Rockliff
3. Dan Hannebery

A clear top 3. NicNat and his injury woes has lost ground on 3 of the clear, consistent, midfield guns of the comp

4. Nic Naitanui
5. Stephen Hill
6. Rory Sloane
7. Luke Breust
8. Steele Sidebottom
9. Daniel Rich
10. Jackson Trengove - 2014 boosting him above, was already a very good performer

11. Hamish Hartlett
12. Tom Lynch (much better for Crows to take him then instead of dilly-dallying around with Lewis Johnston)
13. Steve Motlop
14. Chris Yarran
15. David Zaharakis
16. Luke Shuey
17. Jack Ziebell
18. Jack Redden
19. Michael Hurley
20. Michael Walters
21. Hayden Ballantyne
22. Jack Watts
23. Phil Davis
24. Liam Shiels
25. Jeff Garlett
26. Matthew Broadbent
27. Taylor Hunt
28. Ricky Henderson
29. Matt Suckling
29. Ryan Schoenmakers
30. Liam Jones

Drop Mike Pyke somewhere in there too.

A clear drop from here now to players who are either imo bottom of their teams 22 (Suban, Robinson) injury prone (Roughead, Clarke) or just not that good (Vickery, Anthony)

Suban, Roughead, Clarke, Robinson, Vickery, Anthony, Johnston, M.Brown (Geelong), Cordy, Blease, Wright, McKernan, R.Stanley, N.Jetta, Lowden, Savage, McKenzie, Picken, Broughton

Pretty solid list, but I think Ziebell and Hartlett clearly a better players then Rich - that's probably the only change I'd make.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The amazing thing is that there are about 45 players who you would be pretty happy to use a first round pick on.

Unprecedented depth.

rockliff has gotta be ahead of beams now... has been brilliant this year, 2 games with 45+ possesions, countless BOG's in a depleted midfield without much support around him. hes also on track to smash the record for the most tackles per game in a season (currently on 9.2, record is 8.4). i may seem biased, but looking at the stats i genuinely think rocky is superior to beams

At the start of the year I had Beams ahead by a bees dick. So far this year Rockliff has clearly gone past him and is the second best midfielder in the game behind Ablett. You can build a team around Rocky.

A tad excessive perhaps? But he's clearly the best player from 08.

Rockliff ahead of Pendlebury, Joey Kennedy, Fyfe? Yeah, nah.

Until Rockliff produces a dominant finals performance, he is nowhere near the discussions of being the second best midfielder in the AFL.
in 2014, yeah he has been better than those 3

what's playing in a final got to do with it? ablett hasnt played finals for 4 years, but he was still considered the best mid in the AFL in those 4 years

You can't be the second best player in your position based on one body of work, that is one year.

It takes a few years of being an elite player and then you can compare him to the best.

Rockliff is miles behind Pendlebury, Fyfe & Joey Kennedy, who I consider the best 3 midfielders after Ablett. They have all done in it Sepetember, not meaningless Q clashes.
let me rephrase, rockliff is the 2nd best mid of 2014

No way would you take Rockliff over Beams. Beams's goal sense makes a huge difference, seems to hardly ever miss once he gets a sniff.

This. Beams is just that damaging and he cops a close check every game. Hanley should and has copped the tagger for Brisbane a fair bit.

Did Fyfe pass away? Ablett an Fyfe have had better years, period. Is in the next group with JPK, Pendelbury, etc.
id give you the stats (which rockliff wins in every area) but youd probably come up with the "yeah but rockliff isnt damaging blah blah"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back