Draft Review 2008 - Re-do the 2008 draft

Remove this Banner Ad

In terms of Rockliff in the competition I'd say there are many other players who AFFECT the outcome of the game more.

Elite players - who rarely make mistakes - have good disposal effiency - lay tackles - take marks - kick goals

Players like Pendles, Fyfe, JPK, Jelwood, Beams, Stevie J, Rockliff, Mundy, Mitchell and of course Ablett are all great.
Of those ones I wouldnt say Rockliff is in the top bracket, in fact he'd be closer to the bottom

But in terms of the 2008 draft it's a coin toss, if Rocky continues playing like he is this season he'd be my number one, but Beams still mine on history to this point

Rockliff ahead of Pendlebury, Joey Kennedy, Fyfe? Yeah, nah.

Until Rockliff produces a dominant finals performance, he is nowhere near the discussions of being the second best midfielder in the AFL.

Well, he almost had the Brownlow last year in a team that didnt make finals. IF he had of got it, would it be dismissed because he's never played a proper finals campaign?

Plenty of teams can have gun players that are still waiting for their side to get a crack at the big legues.

In terms of Rockliff in the competition I'd say there are many other players who AFFECT the outcome of the game more.

Elite players - who rarely make mistakes - have good disposal effiency - lay tackles - take marks - kick goals

Players like Pendles, Fyfe, JPK, Jelwood, Beams, Stevie J, Rockliff, Mundy, Mitchell and of course Ablett are all great.
Of those ones I wouldnt say Rockliff is in the top bracket, in fact he'd be closer to the bottom

But in terms of the 2008 draft it's a coin toss, if Rocky continues playing like he is this season he'd be my number one, but Beams still mine on history to this point
Considering Rocky would lead all those in every facet that you mentioned, except probably DE which he would be mid table I would have thought, yet he is at the bottom?

rockliffs greatest attribute is his decision making, he is well and truly elite in that category. has great DE considering half his disposals are contested. is ranked 1st in the comp for tackles, and is on track to smash the record. takes a fair few marks on the outside. doesnt kick as many goals as an ablett or beams, but is on par with pendlebury, kennedy, etc.

Considering Rocky would lead all those in every facet that you mentioned, except probably DE which he would be mid table I would have thought, yet he is at the bottom?
Elite by foot - no
Tackles - yes
Marks - nothing amazing about his marking
Disposals - yes
Goals - yes (but not as many as beams, pendles, ablett, stevie j)

Im just saying that id prefer 30 from pendles than 40 from rocky

Elite by foot - no
Tackles - yes
Disposals - yes

5 marks a game from someone getting the tag every week is beyond elite. It's legendary.

Combined scoreboard impact (goals and goal assists): Beams 2, Rockliff 0.7
Give me the extra 8 points a game over 3 touches and 4 more tackles.
That said Rockliff's tackle numbers are out of this world. Easily the most prolific midfielder in the game, can't argue that anyone does any more than him but I think a handful of mids (including Beams) do more with less.

Elite by foot - no
Tackles - yes
Disposals - yes

cant think of any player in the comp who would be elite at all 5 of those categories.
pendlebury is lacking tackles, marks, goals
ablett is lacking marks
fyfe is lacking tackles and foot skills
kennedy is lacking goals

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Combined scoreboard impact (goals and goal assists): Beams 2, Rockliff 0.7
Give me the extra 8 points a game over 3 touches and 4 more tackles.
That said Rockliff's tackle numbers are out of this world. Easily the most prolific midfielder in the game, can't argue that anyone does any more than him but I think a handful of mids (including Beams) do more with less.
goals and goal assists arent the only product of scoreboard impacts. many of the lions goals start from rocky winning the footy and releasing an outside player into space, there isnt a stat for that but its equaly important

Elite by foot - no
Tackles - yes
Disposals - yes

he's actualy a very good contested mark 1 on 1 in the square, as was seen when he played forward a bit in 2012:

Hard to compare Natinui to Beams/Rockliff or Sloane.

I think the best midfielders so far have been... Beams-Sidebottom-Sloane-Rockliff-Hannebery Sidebottom possibly lucky to be in this group he's sort of in between.

The next level below but could take it to the next level soon Zaharakis-Hartlett-Hill-Rich-Ziebell Out of these guys I rate Ziebell the most likely to take it to the next level.

Players with plenty of X-Factor who I'd love at the Pies Yarran-Motlop-Natinui Yarran They will be late bloomers.

Melbourne easily the biggest losers in this draft, Richmond also did very poorly.

Brisbane and Collingwood the biggest winners.

yeah true, but i meant theres no stat for a goal generated from a clearance
If you had access to Champion Data I think that would be number of times in a "scoring chain" or something like that. If the clearance leads directly to a goal it would be recorded as a goal assist.

If you had access to Champion Data I think that would be number of times in a "scoring chain" or something like that. If the clearance leads directly to a goal it would be recorded as a goal assist.
incorrect, a goal assist is a kick or handpass to a player who then kicks the goal

And we picked McKernan the pick directly before that

Beams, the pick of 2008.
Was hoping we would pick him after seeing his performance in the U18s championship.
But knew it was never going to happen, what with Rendell's love for tall players and Craig's love for choir boy types. Beams with his tatts...yeah, was never going to happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back