Redo the 2009 draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jake Carlisle would go #1, not even up for discussion. Players who can play exceptional football both in defense and up forward are extremely rare, Pavlich is the only other player still playing who could do it.

Except for Ben Reid and Harry Taylor as two other examples (off the top of my head) who are excellent defenders but have also shown they can play in the forward line to great effect. Not knocking Carlisle - he looks like becoming a very good player - but his ability to play at either end isn't as unusual as you are suggesting.

1. Carlisle - been awesome this year in a key defensive role on the best forwards in the competition and can also be very effective in the forward line. I think that he will be a colussus for years to come given how tall, strong, agile and smart he is with his body use in one on ones.

2. Fyfe - freakish player who can seemingly take a mark from any position in a pack. Not the cleanest kick in the world visually or by the stats, but I don't think it holds him back much at all as when the job needs to be done he does it.

3. Duncan - I rate him hugely. People say that he's only as good because of how good his teammates are but that is rubbish IMO. Poised, kicks plenty of goals, line breaking, good in the air, skillful and has taken his game to another level this year by finding more of the footy. Has performed in big games and I think he will continue to get better.

4. Martin - played some very special games in his first year, but since I think it's fair to say he hasn't improved as much as people were hoping him to. Still well and truly in the mix with the best in the draft given his remarkable strength and powerful kicking, but prone to a game every few weeks where he just doesn't have an impact.

5. Talia - Guys of his size and poise don't grow on trees. Adelaide have a gun full back locked in for a long time

6. Christensen - Like Duncan I love the impact he has in big matches. Composed, clever, courageous and is such a multi-faceted player who could play equally adeptly whether his is coming off the half back line, in the midfield or up forward.

7. Barlow - just unobtrusively goes about winning the footy in close and works hard out onto the wings and finds it again and again throughout the game and does it in every single match he plays in. Still plenty of good footy ahead of him too.

8. Cunnington - very strong and solid footballer who has had a good year in North's midfield. Just one of those guys who you look at and think that he'll be playing AFL footy for a long time.

9. Scully - he cops a fair bit of criticism considering he is bizarrely the highest paid player in the game, but I think he puts in some really good quality performances which do get overlooked. Tireless worker who has based his game around being an inside tackling midfielder despite his body size. Has been finding good amounts of the footy this year, which is what he struggled a bit with last year and gets himself on the scoresheet most weeks. Yes, his wage is quite ridiculous, but he can play footy and is steadily improving his game.

10. Stratton - another young mature age recruit who has become an extremely dependable half back for Hawthorn with a timely fist and a love of the contest.

I did this list as though it was a draft today, so it's based on both what they've done so far and speculative projections into the future.

One guy who should be mention is Podsiadly. He won't be around for too many more years in the AFL, but what he has done for Geelong is remarkable. To be able to pull out a guy from a state league at the age he was and see him become one of the better power forwards in the AFL is a remarkable story. His contribution to what Geelong have been able to do the last three years should not be understated.

Lewis Jetta a bit unlucky to make the top ten, but I think his form throughout his time so far has been a bit patchier than the guys who made it. Easily could be in there if he was at his best a bit more often.

people dont seem to rate barlow very hghly :confused:
Been arguabely our best midfielder this year - Better than Fyfe
Fyfe is clearly the best player but I'd say Barlow's top 5 at the very worst

Except for Ben Reid and Harry Taylor as two other examples (off the top of my head) who are excellent defenders but have also shown they can play in the forward line to great effect. Not knocking Carlisle - he looks like becoming a very good player - but his ability to play at either end isn't as unusual as you are suggesting.
How often does Ben Reid go forward? I know he was originally drafted as a forward, but the only time I've ever seen him as a swingman was against Carlton.

I'll pay Harry Taylor though, he went over my head.

How often does Ben Reid go forward? I know he was originally drafted as a forward, but the only time I've ever seen him as a swingman was against Carlton.

I'll pay Harry Taylor though, he went over my head.

How often has Carlisle? It's only been the last few weeks he has done so with great effect, a similar length of time that Collingwood have also used Reid in a similar way. Reid has kicked 7 goals this season to Carlisle's 5.

How often has Carlisle? It's only been the last few weeks he has done so with great effect, a similar length of time that Collingwood have also used Reid in a similar way. Reid has kicked 7 goals this season to Carlisle's 5.

In 2010 and 2011 Carlisle played a number of games forward, although he only played 10 games across the two years. He got the nickname buckets for his forward marking, not backline marking.

A lot of you haven't been watching Dustin Martin this year, he has been awesome and is in contention for AA. A bit like how no one noticed Cotchin's 2011, Dusty's current year is going under the radar. He is a clear top two pick for me. Goal kicking midfielder with skill and toughness.

AA really? had a good year but not an AA midfielder for mine.

Think he's just been more consistent which was his biggest knock.

Surprised Talia is so high on a lot of lists. He's a solid but very limited defender.

Surprised Talia is so high on a lot of lists. He's a solid but very limited defender.

Offensively limited I suppose, but really you want your full back to get the fundamentals right (ie. stopping your man) before worrying about your disposal count. Full back is one of the hardest spots on the ground to fill and he's a guy who'll be there for another 10 years. Thats a massive win in any draft.

No reason he can't do what Glass did and become a really important link up player either once he's built up some experience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting how many opposition supporters rate Duncan above Christensen. Personally I'd have Christensen up with Martin and Fyfe as the 3 best smalls in the draft (Barlow's great but won't do as much over his career being 3 years older). He does everything incredibly well and his numbers are only down because he's not played as a pure midfielder only because of our quality older players. Amazing that we got him at pick 40.

Duncan is a good player but not in the same class. Doesn't win as much ball and doesn't make as good decisions. I'd have him a rung lower, probably a bit outside the top 10. This draft still makes me feel ill when I think of how good Menzel and Vardy could be if they'd got a decent run with injury.

Was searching for this thread to boast about North's draft but we weren't alone, the '09 class looks very strong.

Cunnington, Bastinac, Black and Macmillan with our first four picks. Nailed that draft something savage.

AA120112LC-239-600x400.jpg

The one and only, will go down as the best pick twenty in the history of the game.

Kane Cornes says hi.

This draft shows trading picks for established players and its success is dependent on who the club receiving the draft picks get. Burgoyne has been great for Hawthorn and it looks great when you see Port got Moore and Pittard (No disrespect to those boys) but if port had of got Fyfe and Gunston people would be saying Hawthorn paid massive overs for Burgoyne.

This draft shows trading picks for established players and its success is dependent on who the club receiving the draft picks get. Burgoyne has been great for Hawthorn and it looks great when you see Port got Moore and Pittard (No disrespect to those boys) but if port had of got Fyfe and Gunston people would be saying Hawthorn paid massive overs for Burgoyne.

Gunston would have gone to hawthorn anyway

Yes that was a troll, i just can't believe how much we screwed up this draft :(

You weren't alone. Dalrymple says hi an introduces you to his very, very, veeeeerry long reach: Mr. Christian Howard.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back