Redo the 2009 draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cunnington, Bastinac, Black and Macmillan with our first four picks. Nailed that draft something savage.
Not really, feel Geelong did better even with the loss of menzel who could have been potentially best in draft. I really liked Sydney 2009 trading and drafting period as it helped win the flag, same with the 2009 group for Geelong

Not really, feel Geelong did better even with the loss of menzel who could have been potentially best in draft. I really liked Sydney 2009 trading and drafting period as it helped win the flag, same with the 2009 group for Geelong

I don't think he was comparing it to another club, just saying we nailed the draft. Three of those blokes will be 200+ gamers and the 4th looks like ending up an elite key forward. That's a massive draft.

Yeah you are right but Martin has the potential to be an incredible footballer with Dangerfield being the only midfielder who has a better combination of size, athleticism and skill.

Yep I agree He might, but He seems like the new B Cousins of the AFL, which carries a bit weight on the leadership groups shoulders, where Barlow just strengthens every area of the club, from leadership to on field. 1 is easy to coach and the other is a handful.

Martin over Barlow without a doubt. If nothing else but for the fact that you should get an extra 50-100 games out of him over the course of their career (keep in mind Martin was very good from game 1). I'd also be surprised if Martin's not better than Barlow is now when he's 25.

If redrafted, IMO:

1 - Fyfe
2 - Martin
3 - Barlow
4 - Carlisle
5 - Talia
6 - Cunnington
7 - Scully
8 - Christensen
9 - Jetta
10 - Duncan

Reid, S. Shaw, Vardy, Pittard look good.

Then after that it starts to get pretty even. Pretty good draft actually, apart from 1 and 2 not being that good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Fyfe
2. Martin
3. Carlisle
4. Cunnington
5. Barlow
6. Black
7. Talia
8. Christensen
9. Duncan
10. Crameri
11. Reid
12. Jetta
13. Scully
14. Bastinac
15. Stratton
16. Trengove
17. Gunston
18. Vardy
19. Grimes
20. Golby
21. Howlett

- Forgot Stratton and didn't want to ditch Howlett, hence the top 21.

- Carlisle and Black the bolters from this year. Hard to place them. May look back in 12 months time and see I've been caught up in the hype but I'm treating them as talls who took a pretty standard amount of time to breakout.

- Grimes and Vardy also very tough to place to due injury.

- Wanted to throw Roberton in there but I just haven't seen enough of him in StK colours yet to make a judgement.

- The talent drops off significantly after the top 25.

Still pretty comfortable with this. Obviously would shuffle a few around but nothing drastic.

Tough to place Barlow. Are we treating this as how the draft would go now or how it should've been done 4 years ago? Those extra 4 years of quality from Barlow make a big difference.

Still pretty comfortable with this. Obviously would shuffle a few around but nothing drastic.

Tough to place Barlow. Are we treating this as how the draft would go now or how it should've been done 4 years ago? Those extra 4 years of quality from Barlow make a big difference.

After this season I'd probablt drop Howlett from the list and add Melksham and Gunston could probably rated higher.

Going on what they've done so far, the triumvirate of Fyfe(20) Christensen(40) and Barlow(8 rookie) have clearly outperformed the top 3 who were every 'experts' clear top 3.

Time will tell if that will change.

Freo Geelong Hawthorn and North top 4 in this one.

I'm not sure how you've managed to fit Bundy in with Fyfe and Barlow.

1. Nathan Fyfe
2. Jake Carlisle
3. Dustin Martin
4. (Michael Barlow)
4. Daniel Talia
5. Mitch Duncan
6. Ben Cunnington
7. Allan Christensen
8. Aaron Black
9. (Stewart Crameri)
9. Lewis Jetta
10. Tom Scully
11. Sam Reid
12. Jasper Pittard
13. Jack Gunston
14. Jack Trengrove
15. Kane Lucas

NB: Due to them being over-aged, I don't think Barlow and Crameri count. And given they were drafted before, Ball and Podsiadly definitely don't count :p

1. Nathan Fyfe
2. Jake Carlisle
3. Dustin Martin
4. (Michael Barlow)
4. Daniel Talia
5. Mitch Duncan
6. Ben Cunnington
7. Allan Christensen
8. Aaron Black
9. (Stewart Crameri)
9. Lewis Jetta
10. Tom Scully
11. Sam Reid
12. Jasper Pittard
13. Jack Gunston
14. Jack Trengrove
15. Kane Lucas

NB: Due to them being over-aged, I don't think Barlow and Crameri count. And given they were drafted before, Ball and Podsiadly definitely don't count :p

I don't mind Pittard but Stratton and Bastinac spring to mind as being much better. Lucas not even in the conversation IMO. Melksham, Vardy, Roberton, Thomas, Grimes and Golby also better I think.

Anyone who has Jetta in their top 10 is having a laugh. Sort of frontrunner who is up only when the team is up.
Anyone who doesn't have Black in the top 10 is also having a laugh, I would even take him ahead of Cunnington.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back